Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnxgenral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2008
So I stood in line for like 28 hours to buy the 1st Gen iPhone and like all the others if I remember correctly we had to sign a contract on that day that would be good for 2 years? If this is true do we all have the same upgrade dates as 7/11-7/12? Let me know. I was disappointed to figure out I can't upgrade next week. Ugh!!

Jack

p.s. I did buy an iPhone 3G but that didnt effect my contract did it? It says I am upgrade eligible on 7-11-09 still...So your saying because i got an iPhone 3G at a subsidized price my contract change by a month? Im sooo confused.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
If you never bought a 3G iPhone, you are eligible to upgrade no matter where you are in your contract and get a 3G or 3GS at a subsidized price. You will be signed up for a new 2-year contract. Now, if you want to buy a new iPhone at the same time next year, you will pay a heavier rate because the current phones are subsidized, unlike the original iPhones.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
So I stood in line for like 28 hours to buy the 1st Gen iPhone and like all the others if I remember correctly we had to sign a contract on that day that would be good for 2 years? If this is true do we all have the same upgrade dates as 7/11-7/12? Let me know. I was disappointed to figure out I can't upgrade next week. Ugh!!

Jack

dude, the phone doesn't come out until next week. How could you be disappointed to find out that you can't get the phone until it comes out?

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
If you never bought a 3G iPhone, you are eligible to upgrade no matter where you are in your contract and get a 3G or 3GS at a subsidized price. You will be signed up for a new 2-year contract. Now, if you want to buy a new iPhone at the same time next year, you will pay a heavier rate because the current phones are subsidized, unlike the original iPhones.

well, that's not necessarily true. Many people are only having to wait one year from last year to get the cheaper subsidized prices of 199/299.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I find it hard to believe you read any even minimal amount of relevant information about this before you came and made this post.

How you could reach the conclusion you have reached, OP, is beyond me. You would essentially have had to leave civilization with your original iPhone almost 2 years ago, and just surfaced in time to make this post.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
well, that's not necessarily true. Many people are only having to wait one year from last year to get the cheaper subsidized prices of 199/299.

Fair enough, it varies for everyone. I haven't heard of anyone getting estimates of much before the end of the year.

dude, the phone doesn't come out until next week. How could you be disappointed to find out that you can't get the phone until it comes out?

He thought he had to wait until July - exactly 2 years after the original came out.

wnxgenral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I find it hard to believe you read any even minimal amount of relevant information about this before you came and made this post.

How you could reach the conclusion you have reached, OP, is beyond me. You would essentially have had to leave civilization with your original iPhone almost 2 years ago, and just surfaced in time to make this post.

i read these forums on the hour everyday... I'm just confused at why I can upgrade on 7-11-09. I did buy an iPhone 3G the day it came out but my contract started when I bought the original iPhone. check my join date I'm not an amateur. your just an *******.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
i read these forums on the hour everyday... I'm just confused at why I can upgrade on 7-11-09. I did buy an iPhone 3G the day it came out but my contract started when I bought the original iPhone. check my join date I'm not an amateur. your just an *******.

No, you signed up for a new 2-year contract that started the day you bought the 3G.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
The 2G was unsubsidized, so you could buy a new iPhone whenever you wanted. When you got a 3G, you started a new 2 year contract from that purchase.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus

You are an amateur.

hbg

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
Fair enough, it varies for everyone. I haven't heard of anyone getting estimates of much before the end of the year.

He thought he had to wait until July - exactly 2 years after the original came out.

I go the iPhone 3G the day it came out last year and AT&T says I can get the $199 (16) and $299 (32) on July 12, 2009, when I am eligible.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
\\\

Go to store.apple.com and go through the steps to buy a 3GS. It will tell you exactly how much you have to pay. We should sticky that website because it would answer a lot of these threads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.