For all of you waiting for the iMac update...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kronie, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I just want to let you know that my 27" i7, 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, 2GB 6970M came yesterday. I did a fresh install of everything and was fully operational in under two hours. I will work on the Windows 7 partition tonight. Cant wait to play some games...hopefully that old and tired 6970M can keep up...;)

Man does Lightroom scream! I ran PS CS5 through some actions and its SO much faster than my 2009 2.66 dual core MBP....(obviously).....Big Beautiful Screen! Remember "yellow tinge"? I returned a couple 27" iMacs when they first came out for this but this panel is perfect....Not so sure about Lion 10.7 though, maybe I just need to get over SL...

Every day you wait for the update is one less day you get to enjoy this beautiful machine....Just sayin!

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

If I was buying last year, I would have bought the 6970m with 2GB and been very happy with it. But I can't keep myself from drooling over the 680M that is likely to be in the 2012...

3. ep2002 macrumors newbie

ep2002

I've got the same iMac model as you have in your sig (24" 2.4) and I'm waiting patiently for a bump in the specs for this year to buy. I don't need Retina, just a spec bump and I'll be happy.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I hate that phrase "Just sayin."

However, when the NEW iMacs appear next month, buyer's remorse will spread like Ebola.

Just sayin.

5. Overg macrumors 6502

agree

I really can't understand people who can't wait, what is the big deal??
    it is like matter of life and death.

6. AndyCarolan macrumors member

Congrats on the new Mac :)

Still going to wait until the end of July to see if a new one surfaces when ML is released though. Just in case

7. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Mine arrived on Monday! Except it's called a Macbook Pro.

I will be envious of those 27" screens for a few more years it seems.

8. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I have a backup plan which is to call in and RMA my i7 @14 days. That gives me another two weeks+ to Fed Ex it back. Plenty of time for a potential update with ML....

9. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

All the shipping hassle and setup and wiping the hard drive.. yeck.

I thought about "borrowing" one from Best Buy on my 45-day return policy. Decided it wasn't really worth the effort. Plus I couldn't get a 2 GB 6970m from them anyway.

10. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Have they changed their policy? I remember when I bought my BTO iBook G4 they said you couldn't RMA a custom built Mac. But that was many years ago.

11. cypress822 macrumors regular

congrats on your new iMac!!! personally, i think you will have zero buyers remorse whenever the new iMacs come out. If all that is coming is a spec update, i don't think there is going to be much, if any, noticeable real life difference in performance. The only reason i am holding out is for a hopeful standard ssd.
    Congrats on your purchase again!!

12. radiohed macrumors regular

Congrats on your new iMac! :D I mean, that is a very fast config that will last you for years. The 2011 machines are still very relevant and during the transition to whatever is coming, the 2011 isn't a bad choice for someone who wants something to use now. I for one, would be happy with a 2011 machine, but I have a fine working mini, so will wait to see what is coming. Nobody should be dissing someone for their decision to wait or not to wait. :) It's all good right?

13. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

All I really wanted from the update was USB 3.0. If I didn't NEED a machine now I would have definitely waited at least until ML but as it was I was out a computer for three weeks. I had to steal our Mac Mini HTPC and bring it up to my office until the iMac arrived.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Feeling a bit jealous, but although people are saying you will have zero regrets when the new one comes out, what about in 4 years time when all us waiters get a further update and continued support but you don't because you have the 2011 model. I'm still giving it until the end of July.
    Enjoy your new mac!

15. eucsstamticc macrumors member

congrats on your purchase bud.. i must admit i am a little jealous :cool: but as I am not in need i will be patiently waiting for ML to be released.

Enjoy.

:apple:

16. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

It's hard to be jealous of something I don't want.

.... Just sayin

17. calaverasgrande, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I was checking out an iMac at a non Apple store last weekend. Yes it is an impressive machine, but I can't help but balk at the memory being slower than their laptop cousins. Apple certainly is in a weird place right now. All of it's desktops are still on DDR1333, and the laptops are on DDR1600! This is the exact opposite of the "normal" state of things. Where desktop memory speed (and internal buss speed) is faster than the mobile side due to the better cooling and ventilation you have with desktop form factors (Mini notwithstanding :p).
    I think I will sit on my rainy day money for a couple more months. I figure they got to have some cute boxes for the ML roll out.
    If they do not, I will probably just get a Mini to tide me over for a while. My 1st gen Intel Mini is getting old! Though to be fair, it still plays video and some games just fine. It simply isn't fast enough for any kind of VMing.

18. Scythe5 macrumors regular

I wish you many years of enjoyment on the new machine. :cool:

I am going to wait it out until the end of July (or whenever ML is released). If no new iMacs are released, I'm going to plan B (and buying an android phone, just for spite LOL :D).

19. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I am reading/writing this on an Android phone. We all know Androids better right?...:)

20. IPlayFair macrumors member

I'm holding out until the end of October. If no Imac release by then I am going to purchase a Macbook Pro and add an external monitor. But, not likely, I could be persuaded to stick with a PC. The PC route will depend what is on the market at that time.

21. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

May your new iMac serve you faithfully for many years.

22. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

I agree with not needing the retina, but it sure does look nice. I'm still eye'ing what particular machine I want to match with my MBP

23. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

I want cheeseburger.

24. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Every day Apple doesn't update the iMac or Pro, they could be enjoying my beautiful cash.

25. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Yeah wait till the new imac gets released in a few short weeks we'll make sure to post a thread to rub your face it in ;)