For all the people that claim iPad Mini price is a fail vs. Nexus and Fire

Discussion in 'iPad' started by convergent, Oct 26, 2012.

1. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I have read dozens of threads about how Apple has blown it on the price. They all look at the $200 price of the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 and conclude that Apple's iPad Mini price is a fail. Have you looked at the price of a Mac in comparison to the price of any other non-Apple computer? An iMac vs. an all in one Widows computer? A Macbook Pro Retina vs. any other laptop? An Air vs. a Windows Ultrabook? Apple's products are almost always significantly more expensive than the competition, and almost always sell very well. You are falling in the trap of looking solely at price and specs and drawing a conclusion.

I would have liked to have seen the thing come in at $250, but never expected that. The $329 price is still in the same vicinity of the other prices for me, and I ordered one because its got the right combination of stuff for me. I was leaning toward trying a Nexus, but am quite happy I can now stay in the Apple ecosystem.

2. seajewel macrumors 6502

i expected $299 and don't mind a $30 increase over that but I also expected (and yes i know most rumors pointed otherwise) better ppi than 163 ppi.

3. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

The fact it's selling out of the preorder shows Apple didn't price it that unrealistically.

I thought it was £20/$30 more than expected, but in reality that isn't even a decent meal, people must be really cheap (or broke) to not buy one for such a little increase.

And it seems hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of people agree and have ordered it worldwide.

4. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

Has Apple ever been a "low price" leader?
    no.
    You get what you pay for.
    I bought an macbook 5 years ago and its still running strong. Though i paid more than a PC would have cost, It has lasted longer than an PC laptop.
    Same with ipads and iphones.
    I doubt you will see any kindle fires still working well in 3 years, but ipad 1's still run strong.
    pay the money and shut up.
    (not specifcally direct at OP, but to all the complainers)

5. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wasn't the same price fail claim made about the iPad 2 and the Moto Zoom. P

6. fsumom macrumors regular

I completely agree. This is a constant argument so I have no idea why certain people are harping on and on about the price of the iPad mini. When I bought my Mackbook Pro, I debated long and hard. I had always heard great things about Apple products so I decided to spend more money on a Macbook Pro as apposed to a windows based OS. And I don't regret it one bit.

7. glen e macrumors 68030

look at the ranking of apple here......and with their market cap,they can do any damn thing they want to do.....

rankingthebrands.com

why do people think they have to be "fair"????

8. Angus9541 macrumors member

The way I see it you'd buy a nexus and be fairly disappointed with it from the start after playing with your friends mini, and after a year or so you'd probably give it away as the 2nd value wouldn't be worth your while advertising it on eBay. I reckon a mini could last a good few years maybe more as a handy cheap little tablet and still feel like a premium product and justifiably $100 more than its competitors. Maybe it's wishful thinking but i think we are getting to a stage with technology where products won't date that much and i'm talking in the last year or so. Retina display, flash, decent cpu and gpu, and in the ipad great battery life, I personally wouldn't need much more from a mini and definitely gonna invest.

9. convergent thread starter macrumors 68000

convergent

First of all, I don't think "fair" is a descriptor that has any application in the pricing of products like tablets. I could see possibly talking about fair pricing with things like energy, healthcare, etc. that are necessities... but even then I'm a believer in free markets driving prices. Pricing for tablets should be based on what a company thinks something is worth, and what the market will bare. Whether it meets someone's definition of fair is irrelevant, and everyone will have a different definition of fair. If its priced wrong, people won't buy it. It remains to be seen if that's the case here. I'm surprised the black models didn't get sold out, quite frankly. Only Apple knows if their pricing is meeting their goals for the launch.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

These statements aren't true because Apple DOES use strategic pricing in order to dominate a market. Sure, you can claim that "Other phones are cheaper" or "iPads are overpriced" but that ignores that the very reason competitors are selling so low is a direct response to Apple disrupting a market.

iPod - Apple drove down pricing so quick that it destroyed several HDD and SSD MP3 competitors
    iPhone - Smartphones BEFORE the iPhone cost $499+ before Apple managed the $299 subsidized price
    iPads - Windows Tablets cost $1000+ but Apple destroyed that market with a $499 iPad

So there is a valid argument on both sides on pricing because the cost of iPads isn't because Apple "can't" bring it lower, it's because they don't want to. And for me, I'm buying products based on OS rather than price so I'm fine with the mini since its the only 7" iOS tablet.