For all those who don't know what the fuss with Nehalem is all about...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wahlau88, Apr 9, 2008.

1. wahlau88 macrumors newbie

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

"With the launch of the first four-core, sixteen-thread Nehalem, the future of hardware will have arrived; and with all of that parallelism available, the performance ball will be squarely in the software industry's court. But that's a topic for another day."

While reading this, the software side was the only thing I had in mind because this is and will apparently still be the biggest bottleneck.

I doubt we will see insane amounts of performance increase until new paradigms in software engineering comes up that can keep pace with the ever expanding hardware technology.

It is exciting news nevertheless, and I guess that you will see a crazy jump from your old PBG4 to the Nehalem architecture either way.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

To be honest i think this is all relevant to the machine you have now,if you have a penryn the performance jump is gonna be less than say the jump from a coredual and certainly more obvious

4. wahlau88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, yes, I could buy a refurbished c2d mbp and the jump would still be significant. Would 64 bit applications, such as rumored cs5, be able to extract more performance from Nehalem then a 32 bit one?

Anyone more knowledgeable want to hazard a guess as to when these puppies might appear? I'm hoping Q4 08 (when applecare for my pb g4 runs out) although i think Q1 09 is more realistic, even Q2 09, which would suck...

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Seeing as it's a whole new architecture we must make the conclusion that the circuitry will be very different as well. Maybe this will be the new design change from Apple to it's notebook line? But will they wait until 2009 with that?

Knowing Apple, I think they could and would.

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Surely the bottlenecks are not generally the processor but the RAM and hard drive in particular?

Not to mention all the Rev A issues that people were keen to avoid like the plague in the past....

Not that I'll be jealous with my Pneryn when a new one comes out mind ;)

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If you read the article it explains how the change in archeture helps to reduce the RAM bootleneck.

It sounds like a really good (and needed) update to the intel system.

There are also advances in SSD and price drops coming which might mean that there will be a shift (for low to mid storage needs) to them by the time that Nehalem comes out, it will be at least an BTO I think.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Sorry i should have made it a bit more obvious that i wasn't directing my post specifically at you,im not sure about question to do with CS5 as CS4 is being released in 32 bit,as for the release god knows my guess Q2 09

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

heh, after you get your nehalem, I'll still be very happy with my penryn until sandy bridge 2nd iteration of course :D