for all UK buyers . Refurb Rev A now £749

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by archipellago, Jan 10, 2009.

1. archipellago macrumors 65816

2. mckvakk macrumors regular

Do they carry refurbs in the Apple Store at regent street?

3. archipellago thread starter macrumors 65816

online only I think??

go in and ask??

4. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Wow

That's quite a large reduction. If only someone would buy my MBP so I could afford to get one.

Maybe it means that Rev B. ones are coming in to the refurb store soon.

5. archipellago thread starter macrumors 65816

more likely that they couldn't shift what they had at £880.

In the US store the refurb is $999 (£690 approx) and buyers are reporting they are receiving 'new looking' units complete with protective 'films' just in a plain box.

Wonder if Apple is selling new as refurb? to move stock without losing cred.

6. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

It wouldn't surprise me. The Rev B is a BIG improvement. Rev A has so many fundamental problems with core shutdowns etc.. that very few people that know about it will touch 'em.

Those 17 MBP's are VERY attractively priced too. Hi-res screens as well

7. justit macrumors 6502a

So they lose money to make sure they keep your cred? :rolleyes:

Any apple refurb, from an ipod to a mac pro is impeccable. My mac pro had no scratches, dings, fingerprints. I'm expecting the same from the MBA that's on its way.

8. archipellago thread starter macrumors 65816

Apple doesn't appear (historically) to like to be known for 'chopping' stock out. This way they can do so...easily and without losing face.

The fact that 2 days later its still on there tells you all you need to know about what a dead duck it is sales wise. Mini's with £50 to £70 off sell out in hours!

I too have bought a few refurb items and whilst they are generally in good condition. They are not 'impeccable' in my experience. 2 minis I bought last year were badly scuffed on the base plate.

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I finally bit the bullet on one of these refurbs... I was torn between the RevA refurb at £749 or the RevB (HE Pricing) at approx £1090. It's an approx £341 difference between the two, and I'm well aware that the RevB generally walks all over the RevA due to the NVidia chipset, but that £341 represents roughly a 46% increase, and for the casual, ultra-portable use I have in mind for it, the RevB wasn't worth it.

I called up and managed to get £10 off the machine along with a free case - wasn't really expecting to get anything so I'm well chuffed :)

10. will0407 macrumors 6502a

how did you manage that?!

11. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I just rang up and asked if there was any room for discount on the refurbs as I was considering one but it still seemed like a lot of money to splash out on a second laptop. The guy was really nice about it :)

12. jimchayts macrumors newbie

jimchayts

Brand NEW rev. A £749

Brand new rev A. 1.8ghz with SDD for £749 - See Viking Direct.

13. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I had a looksie at that the other day, the only thing is that it seems to be on their Business side, rather than the Personal side of their website and therefore the price appears to be without VAT... the personal side of the site shows it with VAT at £862.

Has anyone managed to buy one for £749 from them? Did they not add VAT?

14. jimchayts macrumors newbie

jimchayts

Oops! I always forget I'm VAT registered.
    Yes they do add VAT. Apologies.

15. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Still, it's a very good price for an upgraded CPU + SSD model, definitely worth considering if you want a bit more speed than the standard model :)