For clarification so that people aren't disappointed,the 7.2Mbps is "later this year"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphones4evry1, Jun 9, 2009.

1. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

I'm sure a lot of people are ordering the new iPhone 3G-S and thinking that it will have a twice-as-fast data connection from day one. These people will be disappointed because they did not read the fine print. AT&T's 7.2Mbps data speed will not become available until "later this year." The new iPhones will initially have the EXACT same data speed as the current iPhone. You will however, have a processor that is twice as fast, twice the RAM, and a 3MP camera. I just want to remind everyone and make sure this is understood so that people aren't frustrated when they get their new iPhones on June 19 (or June 23 by mail) and the data connection is the same as their current/previous iPhone.

For those who are not eligible for an upgrade until later this year, it won't make a huge difference.

Here is the link for the image below: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=26853

Attached Files:

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The extra CPU and RAM will instantly speed up what a lot of us do. My loading of IMDB on my iPhone was painfully slow -- on WiFi. My MBP loaded it nearly instantly from a foot away. I'm going from EDGE to 3G, so that whole 7.2 thing is just gravy.

Thing is my new house is outside the 3G area by a pretty good margin, probably 15 minutes in either direction. But I work in a 3G area, so I should get a boost out of that. The 32GB and tons of bells and whistles sold me. I had voice dialing on a POS Razr, so I'm glad that's back.

3. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

If my 3g connection even gets close to 400kbps..... I would jump out of my skin...

full bars all over my town with 3g = about 300kbps if your lucky.

(petaluma ca)

4. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

also, 7.2 mbps is theoretical. at&t will likely limit the speeds to much less like they do now (3.6 mbps limited to 1.4 mbps).

5. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Anyone know the roll out link, I thought I saw Dallas as one of the opening cities, September/October if I remember correctly?

6. dagomike macrumors 65816

I wouldn't buy the GS anticipating a future upgrade from AT&T. Who knows when ATT will get it rolled out and working where you'll actually use it. It's basically a bonus for those who may seriously wait two-three years for the next upgrade.