For Everyone Who is Updating From JB 4.1 to JB 4.2...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by shakeman0, Feb 4, 2011.

1. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

How are you going to get your phone back to normal? I'm jailbroken on 4.1 and have spent quite a bit of time organizing my phone and installing tweaks. If I restore to update to 4.2.1 and then jailbreak again do I just have to bite the bullet and spend the hour or so putting the phone back the way it was?

2. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

You always have to add your tweaks on every firmware once you jailbreak.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

:D Yep.

For apps/WB mods/tweaks you can use AptBackup or PkgBackup and that will automatically reinstall all your JB apps.

As for themes, you can always backup the entire folder onto your desktop somewhere and then reload that again after your JB.

As for things like individual icons or whatever, you'd have to manually put that back in place yourself.

Also, you can save your homescreen layout with Backboard as well. Not sure how much it'll retain but I've used it a couple of times and it seems to work okay.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, one way or another you will have to set things up again the way you want them.

5. shakeman0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Ok, thanks for the quick replies. I've been keeping a list that I update every time I download a new Cydia app so I know what to get after a restore, so it's not that big of deal to put it all back it will just take some time... I was considering waiting to update to 4.2.1 until all the tweaks I use have been updated to support it. Is anyone else waiting?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think Im going to wait for 4.3.
    Update to 4.2.1 now, JB and reinstalling all my stuff when 4.3 is like a week away is pointless to me.
    4.1 works fine, the only thing Im interested in 4.2.1 is find my iphone and that can wait a little longer:)

7. shakeman0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

That's what I was thinking. With 4.3 right around the corner, why restore and update twice?

8. coasterswim macrumors 6502

There is no confirmed jailbreak for iOS 4.3.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing is confirmed but there's a few people holding back exploits/jailbreaks for it.
    Also there's the "Monte" JB by the Dev Team that could potentially let you use your 4.1 or 4.2.1 blobs to JB 4.3
    I bet there will be a few untethered JB's shortly after the official 4.3 is out.

10. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Thanks to iTunes backup and PkgBackup, I never have to do anything to get it back to the way it was. I literally just make backups, and restore them and my phone is 100% identical to before I restored it without having to move anything or chaining any settings.

11. shakeman0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

That sounds like it would work well. I've heard that it's better to do a full restore and set up as new phone before performing a jailbreak. Is that true or is it ok to restore from backup?

12. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I just take screenshots and then save them on my pc. that way I know what I have and where it was. I even go into winterboard. pkg backup did not work for me.

13. macrazee macrumors regular

Easy solution: buy PkgBackup in Cydia. I think it is $4.99 or $5.99 but worth every fricking penny. The latest revision even allows you to back up to Dropbox! It's fantastic and a must have utility.

On the 4.2.1 - I'm in the same boat. I really do want AirPlay and AirPrint functionality but I don't see any point doing the upgrade to 4.2.1 with 4.3 so close now. As Applejuiced has hypothesized, I believe there are no fewer than 2 exploits being saved for the new release, and I'm confident we'll see an untethered 4.3 jailbreak on release day or VERY soon thereafter. 4.3 is a pretty major jump functionality-wise whereas 4.2.1 from 4.1, not so much (unless you have AppleTV and need the AirPlay/AirVideo/AirPrint stuff.)

Is there any news on unlocks for the newer basebands?

14. The5thElephant macrumors newbie

I have heard mixed messages about this. Apparently you can restore from backup, but it retains some JB stuff hidden away in settings folders or stuff like that. Some people say it takes a good amount of space, others say it takes very little. It probably depends on what JB stuff you did previously.

To insure you are getting the cleanest setup possible you should do a full restore, BUT that means you lose all your regular app data like save games and stuff like that (which would SUCK). Apparently there is a JB app which organizes your regular app data in a way that is easy to grab and backup onto your desktop, but that is a hassle and isn't guaranteed to work seamlessly.

Personally I am going to wait until 4.3 and then try doing a regular restore.

Does anyone know if it matters if you do a regular restore first or if you can just upgrade a JB iPhone normally and it will just become a non-JB iPhone until you JB it again? Does it matter?

15. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

If you are rejailbreaking and you have no problems with your current phone the best way to rejailbreak is using PkgBackup and the regular iTunes restore. These two will restore your phone EXACTLY how it was, settings and all.

If you are updating because you are experiencing problems I recommend restoring as new and using PkgBackup. You will easily get all your packages back, but you won't retain your app data or settings.

16. shakeman0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate it.

17. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I haven't had any problems with updating Apple software while jailbroken. I usually don't restore, I just update. A restore is a huge pain in the ass. Also, if you can make a restore point in iTunes right before you jailbreak, then if you have problems, you can restore from a backup that's only a few minutes old. I update to new software (I will wait for 4.3), then just jailbreak from there.

18. andy9l macrumors 68000

For those waiting for 4.3; it's taken this long to get 4.2.1 untethered - why do you feel 4.3 will be so instantaneous?

19. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Some developers have tested their current jailbreaks with the 4.3 betas. Some exploits won't work for 4.3. Some developers have saved their exploits that they had planned to use for 4.2 & will instead release them after testing them on the 4.3 betas. If these unreleased 4.2 exploits still work on 4.3, why not have everybody be able to upgrade to 4.3 & still be able to jailbreak? Kill 2 birds with one stone.

20. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

I just updated from 4.1 to 4.2.1, not restore, jb with GP and install cydia w redsnOw. Most of everything is there, the only thing I had to do is reinstall all the pkg from cydia and themes.

21. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Yes 4.3 may be a week a way, but you definitely cannot say that about a 4.3 jailbreak. 4.2.1 came out November 22, 2010. The Dev-Team even stated that the 4.1 exploit would work for 4.2.1. The jailbreak just came out February 4, 2011 and it was buggier than the Redsn0w beta. If you want to follow that time line, have fun waiting 3 months while people are preordering their iPhone 5.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Any bets that it won't take 3 months?
    Just the "monte" jb method will allow me to use previous blobs to jb 4.3 and future firmware versions.
    I give it a week or 2 tops IMO and we will have plenty of options for both VZ and gsm iPhones.
    I know you don't have much faith and like to whine like a little baby all the time instead:)

23. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Stating facts is whining? I'm not whining. I'm a realist and I know after a 2-3 weeks of 4.3, no one will have a jailbreak. Do I care? Nope. I'm thankful for the free service they provide but you have to think of reality. I don't think I've ever seen a jailbreak come out within 1-2 weeks of a major firmware update. It's just very very unlikely given every other jailbreak that has been released. But of course one can still dream though.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Then you haven't been around the jb scene much. There was times that a jb was out days after a release. Plenty of times in the iPhone 3G and 2G days.
    I think I'm a bigger realist than most people out there but comex, the dev team and others have plenty of aces up their sleeves. And with the recycling exploits method we got plenty of options ahead IMO. But the bet is still open if you're down:)

25. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

With all due respect to the Dev-Team (I don't want this to sound spiteful in the least) but I love the fact of recycling exploits but, I guess in your opinion AJ, why do these jailbreaks take many weeks even months? That's just been the question on my mind. I don't want to sound like I'm whining I just have wanted to ask that question with a serious answer. I think if we got a straight up answer people might stop questioning ETA's.