Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julpride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
... why?

In the market for a 13", pretty much set, just hungrily curious... why...?

Thanks in advance!:p

Greg1fraser

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2014
inverness scotland
... why?

In the market for a 13", pretty much set, just hungrily curious... why...?

Thanks in advance!:p

i just upgraded from the early 2013 13rMBP to the mid 2014 15 rMBP i upgraded for more screen real estate the big processing power jump and more ram and storage love the change, my partner has the 13 now looks so small but still love the portability

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
When I buy a new MPB, it'll be the 13" retina model. That being said, the larger screen and faster processor in the 15" model would be nice but aren't necessary for my purposes.

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
It's nicer to stare at the larger 15'' screen. The higher specs and DGPU are just icing on the cake.

Chibatastic

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
I wish my 13" would drive a 4k monitor at 60hz...but I don't wish it enough to make the switch...

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
bigger screen, faster quad i7 processor, dGPU, 4K capable....etc.

so what's not to like except extra cost?;)

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
I was always really happy with the 13" screen size but I LOVE the 2014 15" screen. It's gorgeous and I can't see myself ever going back to 13" for my primary machine. I do a lot of video editing on the go, though, so I need the screen real estate.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I went from a 2012 11" MBA to a 2014 15" rMBP and couldn't be happier. But I work from home, and my machine stays on my desk 98% of the time.

Back in 2012, I went for the 11" because I was able to upgrade the processor and get a 256g ssd for what I could afford back then. And, because my machine was on my desk most of the time, it was also attached to my 24" Apple Display. So I didn't really care about its screen.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. My partner took over my 11" MBA so I was on the hunt for a new machine (darn the luck.) This time around, since portability was NOT a factor for me, but power and longevity were, I looked at the MBP line, and was simply blown away by the screen. So much so that in fact, I sold my 24" display to help fund the 15" rMBP. I do not miss my 24" with this beautiful retina screen!

All that jibber jabber, and I'll still say this: if portability were a concern AT ALL to me, I would have gone for the 13" rMBP. I believe it strikes the perfect balance between power and portability, while giving you the beautiful display. I do not regret for a moment this 15" beast, but I'm also thankful I'm not having to lug it around on a daily basis.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I originally had the rMBP 13" (late 2013) 2.4/8/256 for the balance of power and portability. Over time I found that I used the laptop more and more as a desktop replacement -- it went from being my main machine to my only machine. I sold it and bought a 15" late 2013 2.3/16/512/dGPU to have a quad-core machine and 16 GB ram for VMs, as well as to have the 1440x900 default 'best for retina' resolution.

Julpride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Thanks Guys!

Wow guys, thanks so much for your inputs!

Greatly appreciate it. :D

I'm worried I might fall into the same predicament as litttlepud and most of you guys, having to tussle with the hassle of finding someone to buy the 13 off me and going 15 later on.

I love the Macs, gonna be using it as my primary machine for work/research at home. I would have to run Win VMs on the machine for PE analysis, scripting, and the works.

Now that I think harder, I have a Win machine at the office and the Mac is gonna be 90% of the time at home. Hence, I started this thread to see the motivations of why people go from 13" > 15", which are all pretty valid and resonates well with me...

I guess its one last trip down to the Apple store, before I decide.
Likely going after Greg1fraser's config. :D

Thanks a bunch guys! Hope this thread would serve good reference for guys deciding as well.

Cheers!
Julian

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
You can always plug it into an external display if you think the screen size will become a bit small. I do that with a MBA 13" and it works well.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I wish my 13" would drive a 4k monitor at 60hz...but I don't wish it enough to make the switch...

I felt the same way for a bit, but truly those dell ultrasharps are really good. I have a 24" I got for just over 200. They come on sale at Amazon.

They're really good.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I went from a 13" to 15" back in the day. My current MBP is 2.5 years old. I went from the smaller 13" to the bigger 15" because the screen is bigger, pure and simple. I needed more screen real estate. While a nice laptop I was straining to see it with my eyes and in apps like photoshop and Lightroom, there was not a lot of working space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.