For Fox Sake or What the Fox?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 13, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

:(

Is that revenge for us having Spotify?

4. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You guys talk about fox news more than republicans do.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And when Fox talks, Republicans listen a whole lot more than we do.

9. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

I think that video better describes how confused and misinformed the Daily Show is, as well as displays the gullibility of their audience.

The story was never the video it was the parents reaction to the video after the parents discovered it. I’m quite certain not all of the parents who received notice of this song and it’s lyrics disagreed. But it’s clear now that many did and more so, many have concerns about whether or not to trust what schools are doing because of this video even if this specific video does not directly effect them. The rest is the opinion of FOX news analyst and commentators. Which is no less valid than this comedian who’s jealous because FOX gets more viewers in his time slot.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not only do you fail to see the irony of believing such a story and calling The Daily Show confused, but you failed to address the video's central point: that Fox commentators twist and falsify events, and then their "news" people report -- as if it were real news -- on the "controversy" that was invented on their very own network.

11. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

What you posted is a glowing example of the inability to comprehend what you see that is commonly associated with people whom hold opinions consistent with yours, The Daily News being another example.

I failed at nothing. I addressed the element of the story as presented by FOX you choose to ignore. Not for one split second do I believe you cannot see that the comedian here is completely out of context with his analysis of what FOX News presented, or that you cannot see the context for which FOX presented the story. You simply choose to ignore it and make up your own definition of the FOX presentation just as was done on the Daily Show. (Which is disturbing that you take a news analysis done in a comedy skit seriously.) I have no obligation to validate such a foolish direction in thinking. The fact you eagerly choose to set aside rational evaluation for the picture painted by a bad comedian is not a display of my failure, that’s a display of yours.

To dovetail that, I made no error in addressing the central point made on The Daily Show. Again in a display of your failure to comprehend what is plainly in front of you, I rejected it. I cannot demand you agree with me, nonetheless your agreement not at issue, in your brief response you have twice failed to recognize something that is very simply put in front of you. Why should I trust any observation you could make of me or FOX news?

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The part you left out is that the parents had access to the lyrics BEFORE the performance ever happened. Where was the outrage then? That's what makes the whole situation so funny. Seven months go by and all of a sudden people care? I don't think so.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Exactly what element is that? The kids' performance? I think abiyng87 covered that adequately. But then so did Stewart.

You can disbelieve it all you want, but it's all there right in front of us.

Or as someone's sig here puts it, reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

So something in a comedy skit can't be based on a serious fact or idea? Boy, wait'll I tell all the satirists that they're out of work.

Jon Stewart uses clips from Fox to show you how they manipulate news and events, and you reject it? You don't believe your own eyes??

Well, you're repeating yourself, but that still won't make the reality go away. As far as agreement, I have an on-demand agreement service which is $4.99 for current events, $1.99 for older releases. Please turn to channel 550.

14. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

Actually I did address that in the message posted just prior to yours. Not in my original message posted in response to this. The parents who did complain were simply slow to react or understand what their children were being subjected to and that is their fault. That doesn’t make their concerns any less valid.

15. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

Blah Blah Blah... The relevant point is you analyzed me incorrectly because you choose (not mistakenly) to ignore the substance of what has been put in front of you. The idiot comedian did the same thing and you followed him like he was prophet. For that you have 0 (zero) credibility. Talk all you want, it means nothing.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I see. So in order to validate your belief, you have to turn -- in your mind -- the parents into dimwits who had no clue what was going on.

Or maybe, just maybe, they read the letter from the school and had no problem with it. Occam's Razor, my friend.

Sorry. I give you a point for saying it in a somewhat more sophisticated way than Full of .... but your posts are as far off the reality chart as his.

You apparently think that if you can successfully invalidate the early part of the video (the school performance), the latter part (Stewart's explanation of how Fox distorts events) will fall apart. Having failed to do that, all you seem to be able to do is tell me I have no credibility. Video ipsum loquitur. The video speaks for itself.

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    OH DEAR GOD! I had no idea these kids were being brainwashed like this! And to look back at my own life and see the songs I had to sing of Santa Claus And Rudolph, Christopher Columbus, Martin Luther King Jr., THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is wrong with these schools?!?!?!?!?!....

[/end sarcasm]

Really? Really? This is an issue? Ya know. I wouldn't have a single issue if Fox changed itself from Fox News to Fox Entertainment. At least they wouldn't be misrepresenting their intent any longer.

18. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

In my opinion we probably have more than enough threads from intolerant leftists criticizing Fox News...

19. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Could be. Where are your videos showing other news outlets practicing the same tactics?

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Words of a close-minded Neocon Apologist, methinks. Those words would bring a gun fight in the streets of Denver.

[​IMG]

I'd let her shoot me any day....

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I ****ing love Jon Stewart. If CNN or MSNBC did something like this, he wouldn't hesitate to call them out either.

On a related note, anyone see this week's South Park? They completely ripped Fox news (especially Glenn Beck). It was awesome.

22. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Other videos of a Democrat-lapdog like Jon Stewart from The Daily Show criticizing other networks? No...his stale schtick is solely criticizing Fox. Do you attempt to get your news from comedy sitcom The Daily Show?

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'm not even gonna waste my time replying to all the other misinformation you're spouting, but this one line pissed me off. I've done a bunch of research on this exact subject for my thesis and there have been multiple studies that suggest that "comedy-news" programs such as the Daily Show and the Colbert report are at least as substantive (and many times more) than cable news such as FOX and CNN.

Here's one study: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2374990/No Joke A comparison of substance in daily show.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Stewart's_2009_criticism_of_CNBC

try again.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are only two times that I see Fox News... when y'all post clips of the Daily Show (this one was almost as funny as the internal organs one) and when my mother turns it on.... :rolleyes:

But by disclosure I also do not watch CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, or any of the others. Getting quality news reporting on television is like getting an education in English Literature via comic books.

25. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Democratic lapdog. LOLz. He's a friggin' comedian for fox sake. An equal opportunity one at that.

I do get some of my news from the Daily Show (sad but the news networks in this country really suck) but watch it for its comedy, much like reading your posts.