For Fun...Who have you called or hung up on with the Proximity Sensor issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CourtneyA1, Aug 19, 2010.

1. CourtneyA1 macrumors newbie

Apple seems to not acknowledge the serious of the proximity sensor issues. We've read about them page after page.

I'm sure we've all got some stories about who you've called or hung up on with your proximity sensor. Let's get a laugh or two about it, and stress the importance of this issue.

I'll start...

While talking on the phone, with my cheek...

-- I called a mother of a bride (I arranged her wedding flowers 3 yrs ago), that was awkward..."So, how are you?"

--I called a married man that was in my MBA study group 2 years ago. I called him at 11:15pm. Good thing he didn't answer. I sent a text immediately apologizing for the error.

Embarrassing. Ha, ha.

2. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

So far I have hung up on no one due to the proximity issue.
    I got the Iphone 4 on launch day in the US and I have not had a single problem with it.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not hung up, but gone up into speaker mode when I needed to be quiet.

4. Chankster macrumors newbie

5. gdlcjr macrumors regular

I can press mute, I can press facetime, I can press speaker and some time it just end the call so probably that was the end call.

6. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

no issues here. this problem seems to only affect greasy shiny faced people. :p

7. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Hung up on old female friend who wanted to chat way to long with nothing to say.

When she called back I blamed it on a prox sensor defect in the new iPhone....

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Mine is perfect. Same for screen and antenna. (Week 31)

10. mBox macrumors 68020

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Ha, ha love it. Never had a proximity issue but may use it as an excuse for hanging up! Great idea. Hope it's never fixed..... :eek:

12. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I put an extremely nice (and pretty) girl on hold when she called just to chat. I accidentally added a call to another girl when I was talking to my mom (good thing she didn't pick up). Then I got another iPhone and it's fine now.

13. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

So far I muted a call once and put it on speaker phone a couple of times, and dialed a few digits once when I was on a business call.:eek:
    But no hanging up! :D

14. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Barack Obama .... he kept saying hello ... hello ... hello until I realized I muted him with my chin.

15. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Haven't had an issue with it. Not even sure what all the hype is about. My phone seems to be working right. When I put it up to my ear the screen turns off and when I move it away it screen turns back on. Isn't that how it should operate?

16. NQK macrumors member

NQK

I've hung up on my mom and turned on the speaker several times, but that was only in the early evening after work before I'd washed off the make-up I'd had on all day:p:p:p

And it only seems to happen when I hold the phone between my ear and shoulder.

17. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I've hit speaker several times as well as hitting a few random numbers giving nice tones on teh call. I also almost conference called the Mayor's office for one of the municipilities of the area while I was talking to someone else. All while holding the phone with the hand in exactly the same way I held my 3G(I never do the shoulder wedge).

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

19. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I haven't hung up on anyone, but I have put people on hold, realizing after a minute to two that I am talking to myself. ::blushing::

20. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

That showed them! Silent treatment.

21. Polo5 macrumors regular

No major problems here, I think i pressed the mute botton in 2 ocassions... however I did that even with my 3G

but I do want to mention that I know some people do have severe sensor problems, and I this has made me look into the phone while using it a couple of times... I think sometimes I freak out and think i'm going to call somebody after all the crazy stories I have read here.... :rolleyes:

22. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I was talking to Steve Jobs about the possibility of a revision to the iP4 coming out at the end of September, and just as he said that it would .... the line went dead and I realized I'd done it with the proximity switch!

23. DanggxAmanda macrumors regular

DanggxAmanda

I've hitten the mute button and FaceTime button the most... Lame. Also go into contacts a few times.

24. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Same, speakerphone. I was talking when all of a sudden, I couldn't hear any voice from the earpiece, but I could hear the person. ON SPEAKER

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

25. ski2moro macrumors 6502

This one was not fun at all.

My elderly mother had a stroke (TIA). I was waiting for a call back from her neurologist and when he finally called back, the defective proximity sensor caused me to unintentionally end the call. Fortunately, the doctor called back in a few minutes.

You guys can joke all you want, but this is a real issue for me. And I don't have a greasy, shiny face, or makeup or a screen protector. I wish I had a perfect iPhone 4.

I'm working with an upper level AppleCare Support person now. I have a new iPhone on the way to my home as of this afternoon. We'll see how this goes.