For how long after iOS 7 goes public can one downgrade to the previous version?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by comics addict, Sep 15, 2013.

1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I want to know since I haven't found anything in my brief time surfing the web on this particular topic. Reason I am concerned was that I experienced a very worrisome glitch running iOS 7 GM where when after a couple of days of running it fine I encountered a serious problem when I decided to change the wallpaper to the red hue one (the one I imagine comes by default on the pink iPhone 5c) and when I went to unlock the phone the next time after I couldn't slide nor interact with my iPhone at all. No matter that I followed all the necessary troubleshooting steps like shut down the device and restarting it by holding the power and home buttons. Decided to restore from iTunes and downgrade to iOS 6.1.3 my iPhone 4s because I didn't had the extensive time to continue troubleshooting this issue further and wanted to corroborate that anyone else has experienced this ? :(

2. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

From previous years experience I'd say you'll have a few hours window to downgrade back to iOS 6. However that's not to say Apple don't close the signing window sooner this time around.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It ranges from a few hours to a few days, but never more than a week.

4. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

6. brothersage macrumors newbie

Do you want to downgrade because you want to use ios6 or you want to use ios7 and see if the issues are fixed with a new release? From what Ive read, the GM version will be the same as the final public release. Not to say Apple will make minor changes and release ios 7.0.1 or something like that, but its unlikely. That said I had a problem with itunes 11.1beta being able to sync, and backup my iphone 4s, so I'm hoping that with the itunes update the change will be an improvement.

Looks like you need to downgrade back to 6.13/4 or make sure you actually have the GM version and not ios7 beta 6.

Peace

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Lately, Apple has given around a 45 minute window to sign dual firmwares.

8. brothersage macrumors newbie

so what would you recommend for those of us who have issues with the os and want to resolve? Downgrade back to ios6 and itunes 11.0.5 the night before they roll out the updates? It would suck to not be able to receive the update because the computer thinks I already have upgraded.

I would like to say the only problem I'm having is that it says theres a sync error, but it hasn't not let me transfer purchases and also add music to my iphone from itunes, so I'm not sure what functionality is being hindered.

the only thing that is a problem is it isnt letting me back up my phone. Is this an itunes problem that will be fixed when the final release of itunes 11.1 comes out.

9. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is the build name for iOS 7 GM ? I have 11A465

10. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I'm seeing 5.1 11A465 version and 5.2 version of the iPhone 5 Flavor... ;)

11. Alveezy macrumors regular

I updated to iOS 7 GM today just to try it out and managed to revert back to 6.1.4. as soon as i found out that iOS 7 wasn't for me.

So for anyone that wants to try this. I highly suggest you make a backup of your 6.1.4 iPhone then opt/shift-click "update" not "restore and pick the iOS 7 ipsw. Warning: you'll need the iTunes 11 beta to be able to sync your iPhone that's currently running iOS 7. don't worry about it at all and just keep your current iTunes at where the version that it's at. I believe you have till the 17th to downgrade it and no later than that. When you're ready to downgrade, you're gonna need to put your iPhone in DFU mode...while at this state your phone remains blank. you're gonna need to plug it to your computer and run iTunes to restore. the procedure is the same, instead of opt/shift-clicking "Update", you need to pick "Restore". This should revert it back to iOS 6.1.4.