For Longevity, What's the Best Way to Use the Built-in Battery?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Surreptitious, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Surreptitious macrumors newbie

I have heard before that it's not good to have the battery fully charged 24/7. With my 3rd generation iPod touch, I kept it plugged in 99% of it's lifetime (that I used it for) and the battery seems to still be good after 1 year. The battery was only drained about 10 times.

So what should I do with the new 4th generation iPod touch? I have drained it's battery already to help calibrate it and now I was wondering if I should just keep it charged or if I should unplug it or take it with me more often to use the battery more?

What do you recommend for longevity?

2. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

Meh, doesn't relate to the Touch but maybe there is no difference:

6 Question: Do I need to completely empty the battery before charging it, and does doing this prevent the so-called "memory effect"?
    Answer: You don't need to empty the battery before charging it. Lithium-based batteries, like those used in iPod, have none of the memory effects seen in nickel-based rechargeable batteries.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA26689?viewlocale=en_US

3. ultio macrumors newbie

ultio

Lithium-ion and Lithium-ion polymer batteries don't need any "calibration" or something like that. You're not living in the 90s :p.
    Just try to avoid unnecessary recharging and high temperatures. Recent tests have shown that high temperatures damage the capacity of Lithium-ion batteries more than recharging them.

4. Surreptitious thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that there is no memory effect. Calibrating it once means to just drain the battery and recharge it so that the battery indicater works more accurately. It seemed like it helped too, since it displayed the 20% remaining message three times before finally shutting off. I was just curious if anyone had any problems with their battery from using the battery too much or from leaving it plugged in too long, but it appears like no one has.

5. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Yeah, avoid unnecessary recharges and keep it out of the sun. Never leave it in a car parked outside either.

6. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

The first time you charge it, make sure you drain the battery all the way (or close to all the way). Otherwise, you'll get false readings.

To increase the life of the battery (this applies to notebooks as well), make sure the battery is very low before recharging. Aimlessly charging a half-charged or almost-fully-charged battery will whittle down on it's cycles.

7. Warbitrary macrumors regular

This is completely wrong information!!

Here are the facts:
    From http://www.apple.com/batteries/

8. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Is this true? :confused: