For me 'Photos' and iCloud Photo Library is perfect.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andyp350, Mar 7, 2015.

1. andyp350, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015

andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Edit: Just noticed the error in my thread title, I of course mean 'iCloud Photo Library'.

I finally have my entire photo library perfectly synced across all devices and backed up to the cloud, I really couldn't be happier with the new service.
    Loving the optimised iPhone and iPad images, entire photo library on the smaller screens without using up a ridiculous amount of space.
    I really like the organisation of Years, Collections, Moments and that they kept the more traditional albums for those who prefer to organise manually. I'm also really pleased to see the project creation such as the photobooks is still in there, was worried we wouldn't see those again for a while.
    The editing, although very limited, is very easy to use. For how often I do advanced editing i'm happy to export images out to Photoshop.
    My only gripe so far is that there doesn't seem to be an option to shuffle photos when setting a slideshow from an album, or moment etc. Hopefully Apple will add this.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd recommend that you backup your images, don't just trust apple. I'm sure they'll be safe, but by the same token they're your images.

Secondly, for my its not cost effective. I think I calculated that I'd need either the 200gb or the 500gb iCloud storage tier. That means for me either a 48 dollars a year or 120 dollars a year. More money then I'm willing to spend.

3. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have all the originals stored on my Macbook which backs up to Time Machine on an external drive. I have a rule of three for all important files, must be stored in three separate locations so in this case its iCloud, TimeMachine and Macbook Pro.

That's a fair point, I can totally understand people not wanting to pay for cloud storage. The sort of cloud solution iCloud photo drive offers is something I've been waiting years for so I don't mind paying £2.99 a month for the storage space. My photo library comes in at 40-50GB so i'll be ok on the 200GB plan for the forseeable future.