For me, Siri Navigation is awesome

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone1105, Sep 27, 2012.

1. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Preface with yes, I know most think maps suck, and dont work for their paritcular region. I understand, HOWEVER, for me here in Southern California, it is working great. I took an hour trip from home to Irvine, and Siri/Nav didnt use much data at all, and got me there without issue, and re routes were quick!

Anybody else loving the Navigation? I might delete Navigon now, and Navigon is great on iP5 w/ iOS6

2. PPSH-41 macrumors newbie

I haven't tried navigation on IOS6 yet but nothing I've found beats Waze. I'll give it a shot but I'm still thinking Waze will come out on top.

3. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I didn't like how it cancelled out my music player as soon I started it. I use Navigon for my needs which allows me to play music and it lowers the volume whenever it speaks. That's my only gripe.

4. AaronTrieu macrumors member

what do it mean? ios6 maps still plays music in the background like normal.

5. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Weird. I'll have to try it again. I had my music playing, and then when I hit start, it cut off my music completely. Maybe I did something wrong. If it works, I may actually start using it more. I figured user data was the only way it was going to get better.

6. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Siri has worked surprisingly well for navigation. I won't/can't get rid of Navigon though. After that app got me through some really remote & unmarked areas of Puerto Rico with no problem, I will stay loyal forever. :)

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Well color me retarded. Just tried it out again and it works. I started to think maybe it had something to do with being connected to my car through BT, but it works both ways.

8. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

I completely agree. I used it multiple times last weekend and it's easily replaced my old garmin navigation. 1000X quicker and more accurate without all the crap rerouting. Love it.

Waiting on proclipusa.com to come out with brackets for the iphone 5 so I can get one in the car.

9. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

I do, because I'm in SoCal also, and maps and siri work wonderfully together. :D Ahh, sunny days, 3D maps, Siri directions.. life is good. ;)

10. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm currently using this by scosche. Bought it at wal-mart for $25 in the GPS accessories section. Padding on the sides ensures a snug fit with no damage.

Attached Files:

11. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

I agree. I'm in West LA and it's been perfect. I also love saying "Take me home", then BAM directions to home.

12. iphone1105 thread starter macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Nice pick up, but those suction cups mount are never for me. I love having a clean car and windows, and those things annoy me. But life is great, what I hate, you like! Glad you found something you enjoy! Does it fit your other gadgets too?

I agree! That is a great fun feature to have.

Sunny days indeed, it'll be nice once it starts cooling down next week!

13. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I don't use any other gadgets in my car anyway. But it's damn near impossible to keep a clean windshield out here in Oklahoma with all these bugs. If I ride my motorcycle I have to clean my visor after every trip or its distracting as hell.

14. iphone1105 thread starter macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Might I suggest using Stoners glass to clean, and use a car sealant like Wolfgang or Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 to put over the windshield to help get those bugs off easier!

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yes! works great in texas here. turn by turn + spotify + bluetooth = a great trip. :)

i love how accurate mine was, and it re-routed us if i missed something.

16. apierrec macrumors 6502

I really need unlimited data! :eek: Am torn again. Can't wait for Siri & I getting lost haha :D.

Love Apple Maps, works & cool for me! It will even get better ...

17. iphone1105 thread starter macrumors 68020

iphone1105

It really doesn't take much data. I used it on a 2.5hr round trip, used about 75MB. Which isn't bad IMO. Seeing as how I'll lreally need turn by turn 3 times a month max, I can afford to give <500mb to it on my 3GB plan....

18. waicool macrumors newbie

i love the way maps is integrated into iOS 6. its been working really well for me except for some POI data being wrong, etc.

have you guys tried the lock screen integration? I have a stand for my phone on my windshield but i don't always plug the charger into the phone. When i'm driving, i can turn the screen off and when a turn comes up, the screen automatically turns on to show/tell me where to turn. After i've made the turn, the screen will turn off again. Helps with battery life and night time driving too.

19. soco macrumors 68030

soco

20. jcapz macrumors member

I def agree with you. I've used it heavily since I received the 5 and its just so smooth. It's brought me to an off location maybe once or twice, but I completely understand that Maps will just keep getting better and better.

21. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I'm in So Cal as well, and the maps rock here.

22. k3roro macrumors 6502

For me, Waze takes a long time to re-route where as this does it on the fly.

23. redman042 macrumors 68020

What are all the voice commands you can use with Navigation? I know the basic ones, but has anyone put together a list?

24. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Maps working great all over Michigan for me. I like it.

25. AaronTrieu macrumors member

i loved navigon when i had it.

the ios maps works great in my area. No issues so far when i used it. the integration is great. when you browse your music, the steps are still displayed at the top so you never miss a beat with directions. I hated looking through music while you know a turn is coming up soon with navigon.