Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

For owners of 2020 13" Intel Macbook Pros

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
1,683
305
There is a rumor about 14" MBP which is a redesign of the 13.3" with less bezel just like the current 16" MBP to the 15".

I remember thinking back in August about the rumor and think it is crazy for Apple that just released 13" MBP in June and then another one late 2020 and then another redesign for the 14" next year while there is no rumor about the 16" getting AS.

If I were you, I would wait for the rumored 14" MBP before upgrading.
 
Comment

Danny1982

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2020
58
20
Italy
Im one of those people who bought the base early MBP 2020. I was concerned about being a beta tester for M1, but the benchmarks proved me wrong. Apps seems to work fine based on YT videos. Still thinking if Im gonna sell or not, but I feel the price for performance ratio for the M1 is great
What are you doing with your MBP?
 
Comment

Christopher Kim

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2016
188
136
I would wait. Still so much we don't know yet about the higher-end 13/14" MBP and 16" MBP.

You're right that the sale/trade-in value of your Intel MBP will go down from now until when those are released. But in my view, you're already going to take a hit on value. It's just about how much.

But what if you get current M1 MBA/MBP, then Apple releases the ASi 13/14" and 16" MBP with much higher performance, a redesign, etc. How would you feel then? Personally, I will have wished I would have waited until we had a full picture of the whole MBP line-up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Danny1982
Comment

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
2,540
1,766
Surprise
I purchased a 2020 13" MBP 32GB/512GB in May. I felt I needed the extra RAM since I still need to run multiple VMs at times (mostly Linux). So as of right now nothing has changed for me. However once Apple does release a 14" MBP and there are good virtualization options available I'll probably bite at that!

Although.... I have been debating picking up an entry MBA M1 as 3rd machine (I also have a loaded 2019 iMac 27") as I am excited to try them out.
 
Comment

sixtydashone

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2020
95
54
I'm giving it at least a year to give some time for software support to mature and to see what next year's models are like.
 
Comment

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
3,126
1,030
Destin, FL
So to those who purchased one of the Intel macs earlier this year, what are you planning to do? Have the new M1 macs made you have second thoughts?
Purchase a new laptop every three years. No worries about updates, improvements, ect. A three year old mac is still worth quite a bit, which really helps lower the total cost of the new one. I have a 2020 MBPr13, 2019 MBPr15 and a 2020 MBPr16 on the way. I'll update the 2019 in one to two years to the new hotness that is available at that time.
 
Comment

urbanlegend179

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2015
54
9
I got the 10th gen £1799 model back in August. Found an incredible deal on Amazon at the time for £1375, which literally only lasted for one day and hasn't been seen since. I think that definitely softened the blow for me seeing the new M1 come out. I won't upgrade, there's no point rushing to get the first M1 on the market when even better things are coming in the next year or two - better screens (mini-LED display), bigger screen size (14inch), more ports, etc.

Wait until 2022.

The machine we have now is a fantastic machine.
 
Comment

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
804
245
I'm off the intel bandwagon and selling my 2020 MBP as soon as I can get my hands on an M1 machine that's specced the way I want it to be. Will probably take a few weeks, but I expect to be fully transitioned by the end of the year. My only hesitation was software compatibility and from what I can tell that's a non issue.
 
Comment

Vonnegut5

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2020
27
13
I have the 10th gen intel macbook would I notice anything besides battery life ? I keep my laptop plugged in 90% of the time
 
Comment

kodabear

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
29
6
Some of us were skeptical about the rollout of ARM macs. Here we are, the new Macs with M1 chips compared to the latest Intel ones blow them out of the water and seem to run smoothly (although we've yet to see if any longer term issues arise). Having purchased the base 10th Gen 13" 2020 MBP with the intention of skipping out on the first generation ARM macs, I'm starting to have second thoughts. It's insane that they're superior in both performance and battery life, and not just by a small amount. Trying to figure out what I should do with this 10th gen MBP now, options being:

1) Sell it now
Recoup as much value as possible now (current resell value looks like $1300). Get a MBA or MBP and deal with whatever first-generation issues arise. Alternatively, get the base Mac Mini for the time being, until higher end MBPs are released.
2) Wait for the higher end 13/14" MBP
I'd love a 4-port model instead of the 2 ports in the current M1 MBA/MBP. The performance is bound to be even better than the new M1 Macs which is even more exciting. Resell value will plummet by this point. Lucky to even get $800?
3) Be loyal to Intel
Stick with this last generation Intel MBP until it becomes too slow to use (3-5 years down the line). A plus would be still being able to bootcamp into Windows to play some games occasionally. At this point, I'd wager very few people would want to purchase an Intel mac. Apple would likely come close to ending supporting for Intel macs around now. Performance of Macs released at this time will be leaps ahead. Resell value would be under $500? $300?

So to those who purchased one of the Intel macs earlier this year, what are you planning to do? Have the new M1 macs made you have second thoughts?
Having just purchased a refurbished MBP 13" 1TB, 32GB Ram, Quad core I7 in September, I will still wait until a 4-port
version with options for more Ram become available. Yes I envious of the battery life and would like to see one personally but our Apple Store is closed because of Covid and Best Buy does not have any in stock yet to look at. So until then, I'm in no hurry, in fact I haven't even upgraded to Big Sur yet. Even thou there are many people who could not wait to get off using Catalina, I have had no complaints.
 
Comment

Sounder206

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
9
17
So to those who purchased one of the Intel macs earlier this year, what are you planning to do? Have the new M1 macs made you have second thoughts?

I bought my mid-2020 8th-gen i5 8 GB RAM/256 GB SSD MBP 13" in June (few weeks after this model was announced) and it's a solid machine for my use. I was expecting the M1 to debut on higher-end MBP models, but wasn't expecting not only my i5 to be discontinued this quickly but also the performance smokes all the Intel Macs - from the entry-level models - in all areas.

Just for kicks I asked for a trade-in quote at my local Simply Mac store and they currently aren't able to take trade-ins for 2020 MBP models (for whatever reasons in their inventory system setup). However the equivalent 2019 model is valued at $500, and Best Buy's trade-in for my mid-2020 is at $650. And I do not have the patience of having to sell on Craigslist.

After giving much thought today, I'm just going to enjoy my current MBP for another six-months to a year until a fully-redesigned MBP with the rumored 14" micro-LED display and second-gen M-Series CPUs will be announced.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Christopher Kim
Comment

Vonnegut5

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2020
27
13
I bought my mid-2020 8th-gen i5 8 GB RAM/256 GB SSD MBP 13" in June (few weeks after this model was announced) and it's a solid machine for my use. I was expecting the M1 to debut on higher-end MBP models, but wasn't expecting not only my i5 to be discontinued this quickly but also the performance smokes all the Intel Macs - from the entry-level models - in all areas.

Just for kicks I asked for a trade-in quote at my local Simply Mac store and they currently aren't able to take trade-ins for 2020 MBP models (for whatever reasons in their inventory system setup). However the equivalent 2019 model is valued at $500, and Best Buy's trade-in for my mid-2020 is at $650. And I do not have the patience of having to sell on Craigslist.

After giving much thought today, I'm just going to enjoy my current MBP for another six-months to a year until a fully-redesigned MBP with the rumored 14" micro-LED display and second-gen M-Series CPUs will be announced.
My friend, I have an intel machine and I think we are both having buyers remorse but in reality our machines are fast and capable. We needed a machine earlier this year and we bought it - when m2 comes out we can look into purchase. Until then enjoy your machine and have a good day.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sounder206
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.