Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s1nge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2013
I myself have been a Galaxy Note 2 owner since December. But my new job issued me an iPhone 4S. 1 month into my job, and I actually find myself using the iPhone exclusively now. A couple of easy reasons being my personal number is ported on Google Voice and my office distributes Macs so keeping in contact w/ coworkers is easy through iMessage.

When I got the Note 2, it was the most impressive display of technology I'd ever witnessed. Multitasking and note taking alone was a completely unique experience from previous smartphones. Video was never more satisfying (on the train). The only gripe I ever had was that it didn't fit into my front pant pocket, so if I wasn't wearing a jacket or coat, it would stick out of my rear pocket.

But months in, I look back at my usage, and aside from the initial reaction I see all the features that my Note 2 came with stripped away and no longer actual necessities in my daily routine. Since I no longer take the train into work, I don't watch video to and from. And since the iPhone is more convenient to carry, especially going out with friends, it turned into my go to device.

So my question is, if you have both devices, do you spend more time using one over the other? What normal, every day cases do you see yourself having to choose one over the other? There are times in which I need to pull my Note 2 out and download something, but these instances are rare, and if not important I just wait until it's convenient to do at home or at work on my Mac.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
It's 80/20 GS4 for me right now. BUT, the 20% or so that I'm using the iPhone 5 - is for the Camera+ app.

While the camera and screen are better on the GS4, Camera+ is not available on Google Play. So bummed by this. Nothing matches it IMO

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
it's pretty evenly split between an nexus 4 and an iphone 5. there are things each does the other can't (or doesn't do as well), so i use both.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
My GS4. It's my daily driver so to speak, and I love it. I still have my iPhone 4S up and running, but I only use it for an alarm clock and Pandora (with my Jambox speaker). I like Pandora on iOS more than on Android because of its ability to purchase the song you are listening to at that particular moment on iTunes. iTunes is my source for all my music purchases, so I prefer to use my iPhone for that.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Haven't really used my iPhone in months since I got my Nexus 4.

i really do like the extra width of the nexus 4's screen; i rarely ever need to turn the phone to landscape when browsing the web (something i find myself doing on the iphone). i just wish battery life and the camera were both better.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I have a 4S, a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7. I use all of them equally.

There are some things I like my 4S better such as the quality of a few apps. On my 4S, my local news channel has an app that allows me to watch the news live using the app. On my Nexus, the same app does not allow this so I have had to install flash and watch the news using their website which works great.

The Nexus 4 is so much more faster at opening apps then my 4S could ever be. I open a notification on the N4 and I am reading an email instantly. On the 4S, it takes several seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.