For Sale: Series of Tubes, highest bidder

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Some of us might find this a bit troublesome

Anyone have a good guess as to what we should expect? Will this go to SCOTUS, and will those judges be able to make a sensible ruling?

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

They can block stuff, but will have to "tell users they're doing it". So essentially, like anything else a highly-profitable corporation "has to do", they will bury it in 1-point type on the bottom of some other meaningless document 19 clicks into their website.

3. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

The FCC needs to grow some balls and classify ISPs as Common Carriers. Problem solved.

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I believe they already were considered common carriers, and a court struck down that.

5. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I heard on NPR that the FCC wanted to classify them as Common Carriers/Telecommunication Services back in 2010, but there was a *huge* backlash from the industry because it would mean ISPs would have to carry traffic/services for Mom & Pop ISPs (which would pay them, of course). FCC backed down due to pressure.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think the rather convoluted argument was that they weren't officially classified as common carriers, but were restricted as such by the rules and regulations. That's one of the major reasons why we're finding ourselves in this current situation.

I'll see if I can find the Ars Technica article I read about it. They obviously know far more about it than I do.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Interesting timing with the TPP treaty racing towards completion isn't it? :roll eyes:

Let's just shut it down guys. There are signs every day that nation-states are no longer the true holders of power on the globe. The Corporatocracy of the globe is only a few generations from total completion.

Thank god these "People" have the ability and funds to make the slow play, as they aren't mortal like us mere humans.

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

In America at least and parts of Africa, mega corps already have complete control over the goverment and the people.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its far more than America and Africa.

Globalization has nearly reached it's conclusion. The TPP treaty pretty much seals the deal.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If people think NAFTA ****ed this country, wait until the TPP.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly.

This treaty overturns national sovereignty for all country's involved (though I suspect we'll give ourselves a pass when needed) and instead places the decision making in a rotating cast of corporate lawyers whom decide when clean air laws can't be enforced. It's truly shocking stuff going on right now.

12. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Well I should have thrown in Asia as well.

In Europe, at least as far as I can tell, their goverments are not owned by Mega corps as you see in the states. Hence the whole things like affordable college and healthcare.

In America big business and the super rich own the White House, Own Congress and own the senate, they also own the vast majority of state governments as well, and what local governments they don't own, they bribe along as they go.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

NATO.

Thought the EU (which is essentially big bank operated, take a look at the austerity measures) is a bit of a counter balance.

That's why everyone is rushing into Africa before their union plans finally take root.

And on the America side, you say the super rich OWN the senate? Come on, they ARE the senate.

Issa is work nearly half a billion dollars on his own.

14. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

In the spirit of accuracy, Issa is in the House, not the Senate.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Related.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2014/01/12/stocks-popular-with-congress/4412141/

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Congress is the House & Senate.

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

I had never heard of the TPP until this thread. So I just read up on it. Holy ****.

18. NT1440, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Did you get the actual text?

Here's the Intellectual Property section.

And today the environmental section was just released.

Attached Files:

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

uhh, its not against the rules.

20. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Yes, I am well aware that Congress includes the House and the Senate.

I was responding to your post, which I quote below:

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah!

My mistake, good catch. :eek:

22. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Now the Rs are trying to delay the FCC policy decision, to get the document posted in full before it gets voted on. Presumably so that the telcoms have more time to bombard everyone with BS. But this is the lamest argument of all:
    No, you idiot, Net Neutrality is the exact opposite of controlling the internet.

23. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Government control was what turned ISPs into monopolies in the first place. Why not scale THAT back instead of intervening more? Because one intervention always creates a problem which requires another intervention, etc etc...

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

I hd this argument with a friend today who posted an article from the WSJ about this very thing, and he was going on about burdensome regulations and government control and how it would lead to internet monopolies charging high prices for things. No matter how many times I said that net neutrality is about preventing that very thing, he kept repeating it. Some people are helpless.

25. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Some people seem to believe that only governments can be corrupt. They don't understand that ultimately it's power that corrupts. Whether that power is in the hands of a politican or a company executive doesn't matter.