For the love of... Enough with the 9C89 vs. 9C8C vs. C3PO vs. R2D2!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mcdj, Nov 6, 2008.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

All the GOOD discussions on this board are getting buried by the incessant screen obsessions.

If you bought a new Macbook;

1. It doesn't matter which screen you got. They ALL have a narrow viewing angle. The people who swear by one model number vs. the other are placating themselves against this fact. If there are any true differences, they won't matter to anyone when all the hubbub dies down in a month or 2. The screen on the Macbook IS. WHAT. IT. IS.

2. You can not request/demand a Macbook with a different screen model from Apple. The screen model # is not printed on the box. Apple is not going to let you open 20 boxes to find your dream screen, which doesn't exist anyway.

3. You can calibrate all you want. If a particular calibration makes you happy, go for it. But do not be fooled into thinking it changes the fact that these screens have a narrow field of view.

4. Moaning here about the screen quality will get you nowhere. Moan to Apple directly. And if you really want to make your voice heard, return the computer for a refund and write Apple a letter telling them why. If they got 10,000 returns, (not exchanges) with letters, for this sole reason, things might change. They will not change by rambling on and on (like I am now) about screen A vs. screen B on some random forum. And to those of you who are truly delusional, Apple is not going to change the screens this week, this month, or maybe even this year, if they change them at all, so don't hold your breath.

If you are thinking of buying a new Macbook:

1. Go to the store, bring a DVD if you watch a lot of movies. Check out the screen using a variety of screens and apps. Know what you're getting before you get it. If you like it, buy it. If not, don't. Simple. If you can't see one before you buy, then buy from a place you can return to easily; otherwise consider other options.

2. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Agreed :) Mine kinda sucks too but not too bad

and HahahahahahAHHaHAAHHaHAHHHAHHAhHA! to the C3PO vs. R2D2 :D hahhahahAHahahaha

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

Viewing angles are similar I agree. But there's a lot more to display quality than viewing angles. Contrast rates at 50% brightness are a bit better on the 9C8C than on the 9C89.

Just my subjective observations. I did not measure it.

4. Luvion macrumors newbie

You're right. I've returned my MacBook, because I knew exchanging wouldn't get me a better screen. An Air would, so bought that instead.

I complained, but got them an upsell as well :eek: So it's likely that my action isn't going to push Apple putting a better screen in the MacBook :D

But other than the screen, the MacBook was perfect.

5. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Thank you mcdj

And others have said they can't tell a difference, or prefer the 9c89. I really wish the 9C8C vs 9C89 comparisons would stop, cause its taking over the forum and isn't going anywhere.

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

Some people have even said they can't tell the difference between a MBP and a MB screen. In my opinion that does not say anything about the screen, it says something about the capability of the average consumers to distinguish between different quality screens.

7. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

it works the other way too. I have no doubt that some people here, given two computers with the exact same screen, would claim one is better than the other.

I stopped reading head-fi.org for this very reason.

8. Philflow macrumors 65816

Yes you are right. It would be nice to see some objective measurements on the different panels.

9. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i think that b**ching about b**ching is far more aggravating than the b**ching was in the first place.

you rate up there with people that TYPE IN ALL CAPS

good day!

btw: tl;dr

10. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Measurements are well and good, but they don't change the screen. I suppose numbers would be helpful pre-purchase, if you were trying to decide on a Macbook and had very specific monitor needs, but for those that already bought one, what's the difference? A notebook screen is not like a hard drive you can swap out, where benchmarks can guide an upgrade purchase.

11. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

and b**ching about b**ching about b**ching is worse still, especially coming from someone who didn't even read. adieu.

12. Philflow macrumors 65816

13. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

you said it best

but that is why the forums are here..
    to b**ch about stuff

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Thank you!

15. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

I love my screen, and could careless about what number it is.

16. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I think the OP is just fed up with the sheer number of screen threads there are. I am too. They're clogging up the forum. Post your griefs in a previous thread at least so people don't have to dread looking at two screen threads at the top of the forum everyday :p.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm fed up with the number of Mac vs PC threads...

18. Philflow macrumors 65816

I found the measurements and posted them in this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=596201