For the love of god how do i install widgets/docks/overlays/etc

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cmbezln, Jul 29, 2011.

1. cmbezln macrumors member

Is this some kind of crazy secret nobody is supposed to know about? I've searched here, I've searched google, i've searched THREADS ABOUT IT. NOTHING.

i know all about ssh, and the filesystem and how everything works but have no clue what to do with these files i download and everything comes with no explination whatsoever

/rant

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Perpage HTML for widgets

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

it usually says in the description

this widget is for use with winterboard or this is for use with page per html, give me an exaple of one and ill try and see what its used with for you

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Virtually everything you download will go into your theme folder on your phone;

var/stash/Themes.xxxx/

And then you activate each one in Winterboard.

If you're one of those folks that don't want to install Winterboard, then the process is a bit more cumbersome since you'll need to place files into multiple folders in order for the theme/widget to work.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You can SSH your themes into private/var/stash/Themes.xxxx and they will appear in Winterboard. My most recently installed is an HTC lockscreen clock widget. :D

P.S. the "xxxx" after Themes is a series of letters but if I'm not mistaken, they're different for everyone.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

correct about the "xxxx"

7. cmbezln, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

cmbezln thread starter macrumors member

Okay, here's a few examples....this dock is one that i want. It comes with a readme file that tells you basically nothing. I've put this dock in my /themes.vasd/ folder, and when you activate in winterboard, it does nothing.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...qNWKDQ&usg=AFQjCNEosZ1gAdlsBlvGqm3TIe7kCtjOfA

Here's another example:

I throw it into the /themes/ folder, and nothing happens either....I was somehow able to get the time at the bottom to work, but the overlay..wallpaper, etc doesnt show up

Btw, I basically figured out where to put them through trial and error guessing and scouring the internet for about 2 hours and i'm fairly knowledgable about this sort of thing....Couldn't we make a sticky about this on this subforum? I imagine there are tons of people turned off to theming because of the complicated nature of this and because there's this "silence" about how to install

8. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

don't waste time googling...youtube has all your answers.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I would also be very interested in knowing how to swap out docks, in addition to icons.

10. cmbezln thread starter macrumors member

I actually fixed it....I looked in the themes folder at the "transparent dock" theme that comes with winterboard and then changed the filename of the dock i wanted to the filename inside the transparent dock and saved. Chose it in winterboard and it worked.

One down, one to go.

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Nice!