For the Next Six Days...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsjared, Oct 12, 2012.

1. itsjared macrumors regular

itsjared

:mad:I'm throttled by AT&T. And My iPhone is pretty much useless. Can't send texts, either SMS or iMessage. Can't use maps, well I mean, maps finds me via GPS but with no data connection it can't map where I am. Can't run speedtests (stuck on "Finding Closest Server") Can't get e-mail.

To make matters worse, I "used" to be able to get wifi reliably in my office with my iPhone4. Not so with the 5, if i get any wi-fi it cuts out sporadically.

I guess I didn't know that because my wi-fi is so crappy I was using lots of LTE.

Oh and I don't know how I used 8GB of LTE when they "throttle" you after 5gb. There's no way I've been able to eat up 3gb of data at .45Mbps.:mad:

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

SMS doesn't use data lol.

Why do people seem so surprised or feel the need to make yet another thread about atts throttling? This has been going on for some time.

Can't run speedtests? You can just will be .45 Mbps :p running those speedtests is probably a factor in your throttle

3. maverick22 macrumors 6502

Wow--can't send texts either? I'm only on a 200MB/month plan (hardly use my phone Internet obviously), so throttling is new to me. Can't believe texts are cut out as well.

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

This sounds like an extreme case and there may be other factors at play as well. I don't remember anyone saying they were unable to use data at all while being throttled. It just made it slower, down to edge speeds, but that may different with LTE. Don't know. Either way, the OP's wifi problem is not normal and he may want to go get that checked out. I've seen others complaining lately as well.

5. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you just don't have service period...

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

As others have said, you are either exaggerating or have other service issues. I've heard the throttled speeds on the LTE iPhone are about .5 Mb/s, which is over twice as fast as the original iPhone running EDGE that I used for almost three years.
    I was throttled a few months ago and was still able to send iMessages, stream video, view maps, and load web pages. Something else must be going on with you.

7. hkfan24 macrumors regular

Holy Exaggeration Batman! I've been throttled before and all I had was a slower speed until the next billing cycle.

LOL now you say your phone is useless?

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How much slower? The 2 lines that are throttled now say their iPhones are 'crippled'. I don't have their iPhones with me to see.

This is why I'm thinking I should have stuck with VZW. The reason I gave up on VZW was because the VZW iPhone wasn't up to par with AT&T iPhone.

9. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

AT&T is horrible. I love my verizon unlimited un-throttled 4G

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

I love my unlimited service with no overage charges as well as subsidized phone upgrades. Guess we are both happy :)

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Not sure if you are serious here....

Texts are not transferred via data.... iMessages are but not regularly Texts (i.e. SMS, MMS). Sounds like an exaggeration to me....

12. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

I am at 4974.68mb and my billing cycle is the 23.... I will be throttled by later today most likely. Whoop Whoop!!

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

Point here is that ATT should not be throttling anyone on unlimited plans. If they must its should be way higher that 5GB.

Might just as well have the tiered plan (which has hot spotting) if unlimited is truly a lie.

Or they could slow down in stages instead of 100% then 1% speed.

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i agree. should be unlimited. but if any only be the top so many.. not a set cap. Especially since LTE has almost 10X the capacity of 3g.. hmm 3gb for 3g throttling...x 10= 30 GB..
    okay ATT nice..

glad i was able to find a sucker who wanted to trade me my att grandfathered for his VZW grandfathered. no throttling wahoo.

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Until your in the top 5% of data users.....

16. itsjared thread starter macrumors regular

itsjared

Not exaggerating. It's becoming a PITA to keep taking screen shots to back me up. I'm sure there is an issue with the phone but I don't know what to say to Apple about the hardware. I mean, technically it's getting wifi (but shoddy).
    I've got a genius appt. tonite.

Texts try to go through as iMessage at first then stall. I get message send failures. I don't know how to force it to go SMS. But then again, I've been trying to send a text to my buddy on Droid for a day or two and it keeps stalling out as well.

I have another issue with the phone's (video here) screen which is flickering, I'm pretty sure that in itself is enough for them to warranty it.

17. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Doesn't happen on Verizon