For the owners of the low end 15inch MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arsenal09, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Arsenal09 macrumors member

Hi guys, i wanna know the user expierence with the current low end 15inch MBP. So for the owners of it: please tell me :D Convince me to buy it!

cheers.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Buy one, you wont regret it. If you can, upgrade to the Hi-Res screen whether it be AG or Glossy.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I love mine. It was at the very top of my budget and that's what I got. I don't regret it a bit.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Like the post above said, this machine was at the top of my budget. It's my first 15" laptop and I don't regret it at all. This thing is a beast and crazy fast! Do upgrade to Hi-Rez and AG because in my opinion it's well worth it.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

^^^ what he said for sure.

6. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Could've gone for the highest end but decided to save the money and put it towards hr/ag screen, ssd and 8gb ram. Don't game on the mac so the gfx card didn't really matter to me. It flies :)

7. Arsenal09 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies :) i hope soon that i can pick one up ;)

8. irfan.kara06 macrumors newbie

irfan.kara06

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm also probably going to order the base 15" next week since the back to school program has now started (upset theres no iPod, but at least its something). I was thinking about the base 15, with a high res glossy upgrade, but the one thing I was debating about is the hard drive. I don't want to keep the stock 5400RPM HDD, so I was thinking of paying the $90 (Cdn) to upgrade to the 7200RPM 500GB. Would it be significantly cheaper if i did this on my own? Or should I just pay for the upgrade when I order. I plan on buying 8GB of RAM and installing on my own later, but I was wondering about some opinions on the HDD. An SDD is too expensive for me right now and may be something I consider later on.

9. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Well, buying it retail would save you about $20, plus you could use or resell the original drive. If you upgrade through Apple, you get the one drive. You'd probably save about $45 total after selling, but whether or not it's worth it to you to save that is completely up to you.

10. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I couldnt be happier with my base 15 inch MBP, I saved a little money buying tax and shipping free from amazon and I maxed out the memory and installed an OWC extreme pro 6g ssd.

Also popped my 5400 stock drive in an enclosure to store movies on.

I love it and to tell the truth I couldnt tell the difference in real world performance when i compared the two before I bought ( two buddies had one of each) and I took the pepsi challenge and did not know which i was using most of the time.

11. kimovski macrumors regular

Bought my first mac in 2009, it was MBP5,4 (low end). I do some video and audio editing, the laptop really done a great job. 2 months ago i decide to get a 2011 mbp. Between the low and the high end, since i dont game (unless some games on facebook) there is no reason the get the high end. Even is faster (high end), it wont bother me to wait more seconds to finish my video and audio editing or doing another stuffs. It really depends on your needs. Now im happy with my low end mbp15. :)

12. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Had the plastic one back in 2008, my first Mac also!, sadly went in twice for cracking plastics ( common issue ) on second time was offered to pay £100 and walk out with a basic MBP unibody, of course I snapped at the deal :eek:

Cannot be happier with it, runs everything well, and with the basic onboard I can even manage to run EvE Online on a 20" screen through it.

13. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Love mine. I don't game so I didn't need the high end 15" otherwise I would have bought that one!

14. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I would not do this.

If it was me I would take the $90 and buy a Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200 rmp drive, they are around $70 and will have much better performance and power usage.

15. Revolucion20 macrumors newbie

I just bought the base 15" on monday as many have said because it was also at the top of my budget. So far five days into it and i love it while i was transfering all my data from my old PC i had five files each with about 20gb worth of stuff i was listening to music on itunes going online and it never slowed down on me running smoothly all the way. I just played Civ 5 and the game ran flawlessly with no lag or long loading times. Plus if you are student you will get a free printer and the $100 gift card for free and the $100 off the laptop its a great deal.

16. Arsenal09 thread starter macrumors member

17. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I'm curious if that is the case with the new EveOnline Incarna patch that has pretty much made the game unplayable for quite a few mac users (must support SM3 in the graphics). Mine still works, but it now runs at 100%.

18. alexxn macrumors regular

I love mine so far, the glossy screen doesn't bother me and soon I'll be hooking up to a large monitor so that won't be an issue.

I'll be upgrading my RAM to 8GB and also an Apple SSD as well so that will make it more efficient also.