For the people that always need the latest and greatest ipad,

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thetruth1985, Mar 16, 2011.

1. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

Can you see yourself selling your ipad 2 less than one year from now for half the price you bought it for, just to upgrade to the ipad 3? Hopefully something that you sought after everyday for probably a month would hold some sort of sentimental value when the next one arrives.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You make yourself look so pitiful in your attempt to make us feel bad for getting what you can't!:p

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I thoought I might feel that way about my iPad 1, but nope, I set up my new iPad 2 from the backup of my iPad 1, and it's like the same iPad, only better. My partner grabbed up the iPad 1, and is happily tapping away at it, while I'm happily communing with iPad 2, and not giving my first iPad any thought.

4. 482214 macrumors 6502

Sentimental Value attached to electronics?!... Oh dear

5. thetruth1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, I have a 64gb 3g verizon and a 64gb 3g att (last year's model). I'm just trying to find to logic in going through so much to get something only to dump it in less than a year. I will get the ipad 3 for sure but there's no way I'm giving up the older ones after what I had to go through to get them.

6. carlyinoz macrumors member

No, I see myself selling it for more than that. I sold my Gen 1 16 GB Wifi for 68% of its purchase price yesterday =)

7. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

Oh god, that means they'll have paid 250dollars for having the latest iPad for more than half a year?!
    great god in heavens, how can one even come up with this insane amount of money.

Well, but seriously. Some people pay a grand for new rims for their car, some people have 3 bikes, some people spend 300 bucks on some limited edition sneakers. To each their own.
    Honestly, if you think you can troll around on an Apple forum because of (supposedly) wasted 250 Dollars, be my guest, as we all know, the Apple consumership is renowned for being super penny-pinching ... :/

8. THFourteen macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I felt kinda sad when I shipped my iPad off to it's new owner.

me and that little guy have been through a lot this year!

9. shingles314 macrumors newbie

Let's use a 16G WiFi for the purpose of this example:
    you buy it for $500, let's call it $550 after sales tax. In 10 months, you sell it for say $350. That's $200 "usage fee" over the 10 months, so $20 a month. I say that's pretty good value.

10. leenak macrumors 68020

This is my first iPad! I don't always need the latest and greatest but I did decide to get the iPad on launch day because I had been holding off on buying the iPad 1 for a long time. When the iPad 3 comes out, my husband will get my iPad. We talked about buying him a refurb iPad 1 but decided against that.

11. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I can't speak for everyone, but hunting this thing down is part of the fun for me. Sure, I'd be happy if I had one right now, but I'm enjoying the search...at least for awhile, then I'll just want to have one in my hands.

12. Krandor macrumors 6502

If the iPad 3 has a retina display, then yes I will sell iPad 2 and get a 3 next year. Actually in reality the iPad 2 will probably go to a relative who isn't as interested in latest and greatest.

13. 482214 macrumors 6502

Thats obviously good for you and if you're happy with what you have then stick with them... However, some people like and choose to spend money on brand new tech and whatever else they want. To be honest this thread just makes it seem like you really want an ipad 2 but cant justify it - whether for financial or other personal reasons. Otherwise its just a pointless thread in my opinion.

14. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Only if Steve tells me it's magical. :D

16. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Only if the next iteration is thinner, faster, and lighter...

17. mullman, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

I sold an original iPad for 65% of its purchase price so it really wasn't that big of a deal.
    Sentimental value?! It is an electronic device not a wedding ring.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Or you can sell it before the announcement and not loose much.

19. alan111 macrumors regular

There is one electronic device that I have (had) sentimental value for.
    My HP laptop. It was one of many gifts from my wife when we got married. Unfortunately I began having many issues with it and was forced to sell it before I ended up with a paperweight.

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

You obviously live your life with worst-case scenario filters over your eyes.

I sold my iPad1 64g WiFi for 95% of the value I paid for it after using it for 9 months. I have ordered an iPad 2 and have no issues waiting for it.

Total time spent selling the iPad 1 and buying the iPad 2 is maybe 30 minutes?

What's this issue with timesink you seem to have?

21. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I buy the latest iPhone & iPad each year. Enjoy life while you can. I read somewhere you can't take them in the after life. :rolleyes:

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The wife or the laptop? :D

23. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

LOL. I hear you! It's all about the hunt. I hunted for lots of Wii's for friends and family. I hunted for PS3's. I hunted for Verizon iPhone4's (ok..it wasn't much of a hunt for this one since there were no lines...LOL). Tickle Me Elmo's....etc... Something about hunting for electronics and toys....must be a disease ;)

My wife thinks I'm crazy. Except, this time, she's the one who wants the iPad2 for her work. So I see us fighting over this one and eventually, I'll have to buy another iPad2 for myself and the kids. LOL.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Sentimental value? It's a freaking iPad. Now maybe if it was the last gift from someone who is now deceased or a prize for some achievement and engraved so, or autographed by Woz. Otherwise why would one hold sentimental value in an inanimate object just b/c it was harder than other material items to get? The iPad 2 will be old hat this time next year, replaced by the latest and greatest. I give my old hats to Goodwill.