Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chazcron

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Here is a corrected image for width and thin-ness comparison:
v8k82.jpg

I took out the perspective-induced appearance of it being wider, when it is actually only taller, thus closer to the camera, which is why it appears wider here:
iphone_5_dock_ring.jpg

I also cropped to horizontal for clarity. Yes, I'm a longtime lurker who registered just to post this.

The new iPhone is quite a bit thinner.

Last edited:

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
The new one looks kinda nice. It appears to have a 45 degree bevelled edge as opposed to the 90 degree ledge of the current iPhone.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I love how the glass seems "flush" with the bezel on the new iPhone. That's really a feat of engineering.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
What exactly makes you think it needed correction? What perspective difference is there? They seem to be lined up end to end.

Coldsnow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
What exactly makes you think it needed correction? What perspective difference is there? They seem to be lined up end to end.
When you look at the original photo, it looks as if the new iPhone is actually wider than the 4, however, it's just your eyes playing tricks. The new iPhone is actually closer to the camera, looks wider.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Hmmmm...perhaps since the 4 seems out of focus. Just watched a video again that reconvinced me they the same width.

zenith3000

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
After wondering about this 'new' iPhone 5 shape - somehow I more and more get the impression that it might be kind of 'magic hood' (literally) for something, that is hidden behind and will be uncovered pretty soon. Taking the affinity to BRAUN and Dieter Rams into account those speaker/mic 'holes' are a real no-go in regard to serious design - anyway we will see!
best,

BTW my first post here after joining this forum silently over the years ...

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Am I the only one who wonders why Apple keeps insisting on making things thinner and smaller that, well, just aren't all that thick to begin with? I'm glad that finally didn't happen with the new iPad so we could get the Retina display.

If Apple can make the new iPhone thinner, could it not have made it using the new thin technology but a little bit thicker to incorporate a better battery, a unified 4G radio, more storage, etc? If not, then I understand. But these mostly unchanged storage capacities are getting to me. I am not paying $400 for a phone, which means my top iPhone choice is at 32GB right now. If not for Spotify, I would constantly have issues with storage because of all the music I like to use. I used iTunes Match, but it would download songs at the full bitrate, meaning a bunch of storage used and a ton of data transfer used.

The iPhone 4S 64GB only technically compares to the storage capacity of my first "real" iPod, the 30GB with video. The iTunes songs were half as large, so to match it would take 60GB. But with all these apps we love, I would rather sacrifice just a little bit of thinness for more storage.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
That would be brilliant if it turns out to be that thin.

But I am genuinely gutted if it's not a bit wider. Guess we will see in 2 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.