For those getting iPhone 5 Replacements - Free Accessories!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by portishead, Sep 24, 2012.

1. portishead macrumors 65816

I'm getting my iPhone 5 replaced, and the representative mentioned I only have to send in the phone, I can keep the headphones and charging cable. I know some people may have gotten extras thrown in for their inconvenience, but nice to know at least you get another charger out of it. Just wanted to let everyone know if you didn't already.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

My guess is that they're not sending you a new retail version of the phone, but rather will just be sending you a phone.

So I wouldn't sell those accessories just yet. :)

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

My thoughts

4. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

this.

5. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Yep.

Replacement iPhone/iPods come in a generic box with no accessories.

Until someone confirms the iPhone 5 is handled differently, you won't be getting anything out of the deal.

6. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

bummer. i thought i just scored. thanks for bringing me back to reality.

7. 725032 Guest

You have to pay like everyone else

8. spades1412 macrumors 6502

That!

9. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually, the guy called me back, and I asked this question, and he said they are sending me a new phone, not refurbished or anything.

I'm not sure if I believe him, but that's what i was told. Maybe he meant new phone inside a cardboard box. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

10. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

you will get just the phone in a brown box with no extras

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Yep, a new phone and the phone only. It's the same deal when swapping it out in-store.

It's not like there are refurbs already, they're all new phones.

12. J Griz 757 macrumors regular

J Griz 757

I'm almost positive this is the case op.

13. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

I ordered a replacement iPhone 5 because mine had many issues, but the guy threw in an extra cable, power adapter, and EarPods along with a new iPhone. The iPhone comes in a white box (and you SIM tool, yay!) and thats it, and instructions on how to send it back.

Luckily, my rep was in a good mood and had the extras come overnight same day. I am happy with my experience. :D And the iPhone 5 I got is perfect, no problems. :)

14. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

*sings* back to life, back to reality :D

15. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Sounds like a lot of work just to try and get another charge cable and EarPods, i'd rather just buy them

16. TannerH macrumors regular

It's a new phone - but it's a designated replacement. It has a "replacement model number" (mine's ND122LL) so that Apple knows your phone has been replaced. It comes in a standard white replacement box. With only the iPhone. No extras.

17. lentini macrumors regular

No it's not, it's a brand new retail unit. I got mine yesterday.

18. jayenh macrumors 6502

A friend of mine is getting a replacement, he was told it would be a full retail box and that he should return his accessories with the defective phone. That was through Apple in the UK and over the phone, not in store.

19. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

its a new phone with new earpods etc. Apple do not take back earphones/Earpods due to hygiene. Thought most would of known this.

20. FazZa-3 macrumors regular

I can also confirm that they do ship a whole new phone out with new box and accessories if getting a replacement.

I received my replacement about 30 minutes ago and it has everything inside, and I've been instructed to put everything from my old phone back in it's original box with all its accessories.

Therefore, you don't get free accessories, but they do ship out new ones with the replacement.

I'm in the UK by the way. I'm guessing this isn't the same with US.

21. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I was hoping this would be the case! Not sure why there are conflicting reports here. Luck of the draw perhaps?

22. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Mine was bought from the retail store. Called in to AppleCare to specifically request a new retail box which they assured. The store couldn't do retail box exchanges past 30 minutes of talk time. The replacement arrived today and it was just the phone itself in a cardboard box. The phone's also scratched.

23. aluren macrumors 65816

First exchange for me was retail box, left the store, had a screen issue, brought it back within an hour, the second one they gave me the white replacement box.

And yes they did take back the accessories on my first exchange.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:)
    Close but no cigar.

25. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

Perhaps the policy is different for in store or Apple.com exchanges? I haven't received anything today, so I'm guessing it will come tomorrow. I'm sure there will be directions about what to include in the return. If not, maybe I'll leave a note saying the Apple rep I talked to said I only have to return the phone. To be continued...

Anyway, I don't REALLY need a second cable or earphones. I could throw one in the car just in case, I was just throwing the info out for others who may be interested. And I'm not advocating exchanging the phone just to do this. That's kind of a hassle for another lightning cable.