iPad For those going from an iPad 4 to an iPad Air, why do you think it's worth the jump?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aluminum213, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

The iPad 4 still runs iOS 7 pretty smoothly, no touch ID on iPad Air, no laminated screen, no bump in storage space, same battery life, no big jump in back camera

Is the size reduction that big an issue?

2. priyamsingh macrumors member

It's too late to sell it now as your resale value is diminished because of the iPad Air release. Just keep it and sell it 1 month before the next iPad announcement.

3. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I sold my iPad4 over 3 weeks ago and got over $400 for it, that's not the point of this thread

4. priyamsingh macrumors member

If you still have your 4, it won't be worth it as your resale value has diminished.

5. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I'm considering it. Probably more just to get something nice for hitting the big 50. The lighter weight smaller size would be nice, but not likely a game changer.

6. priyamsingh macrumors member

Well then what's the point of the thread? If you sold it and now need an iPad you'll have to get the Air anyway.

7. Altis macrumors 68000

I think it would be the single best reason. Cutting its weight by 2/3 is pretty hefty, if you hold your iPad much. Personally, that's worth quite a lot in itself.

Otherwise, I don't see enough of an advantage to switch a 4 for the Air this year.

8. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I sold my iPad 2 yesterday for $300. So now I'm getting a new iPad (undecided) and the wife is getting a Mini Retina.

9. Vladislav macrumors regular

1. You dont really need touch iD on your Ipad!
    2. laminated screen? are you kiding me? current screen is perfect as it is!
    3. NO bump in storage?? Are you serious? just this year ipad is avaiable in 128G, that is pretty significant bump i might say!
    4. Same battery life?? Of course its great! considering Ipad Air is twice as fast with CPU and GPU! Thats acutally a big PLUS, that its got SAME battery life :p
    5. No big jump in camera....oh no, are you one of those guys taking pictures with your ipad? come on lets be serious, its the last thing you need on your Ipad!
    and a final point for you:
    6. Now go and buy a new Ipad Air! :D

10. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

What he is trying to say is that 32GB is not standard and 16GB is VERY LITTLE space for apps because ipad apps are larger than iPhones and it eats up HUGE amount of space.
    You could barely put anything except maybe 3-5 movies and some pictures.music
    32GB is excellent for apps but it cost $600
    The base should include 32GB
    We are almost in 2014
    No escuse to have 16gb
    When apps are getting bigger in size

11. Epiphron macrumors regular

what i don't understand is why there's so much crying over touchID. Does your Mac have touchID? Does your door have touchID? It's a new technology so of course supplies are going to be constrained. Just because an iPad doesn't have touchID doesn't mean its not suddenly not worth it lmaoo

12. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I don't think people are getting iMac's stolen out their houses like phones and tablets are..... ANYWHERE

13. Epiphron macrumors regular

who still uses imacs? I'm talking about macbooks which are much much more valuable than tablets

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

15. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Heck I don't Evan Want to Upgrade iPad 3

I don't even want to trade the iPad 3

- No resale at this point
    - Still has Retina
    - 64GB is still good space
    - iPad 2 still being sold as new so no worries about app compatibility.
    - Already have cellular in it with LTE
    - Fast enough for every app l use.

I will say the Air is nice but every few years upgrade is good enough for me. I went from the original to the 3 because of Retina and LTE. If you ask me the best iPad bargains are all the used iPad 3 and iPad 4 models out there now.

16. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

if you sold yours, then isn't it already a moot point that you'll be getting an Air? if i got $400 back on the sale, it's an automatic Yes.

if you want a general consensus on what current ipad4 owners think, there's already a number of poll threads on the topic. personally, if i had an ipad4...it wouldn't be enough to upgrade.

heck, i have an ipad2 32gb and i'm not willing to upgrade to the Air yet. i don't game on the ipad - use it for an ereader 60% of the time, 20%-20% split on movies and internet the rest of the time.

i'm hoping Apple will bump the RAM to 2gb on the next release. if they did that and made the 32gb the base model, i'd probably get a 64gb model.

17. donnaw macrumors 65816

Have you read something I missed? I thought the speculation was that the Air would have 2g RAM. I haven't seen anything definitive yet. Did I miss it? Because for me that's the major reason to upgrade. Well, the size is nice....

18. Macalway macrumors 68000

I have an iPad 4, and although it's fast enough by a good margin, the Air I think will be better

As far as I can tell, Its not like laptops where all the added power these last few years adds little to the day-to- day enjoyment. The tablets still could use some oomph.

Also the weight thing

A compelling upgrade IMHO

19. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

some people are hoping the Air has 2GB of RAM, but i think it's very unlikely. this is based on Apple's hardware patterns in the past along with the strategic implications now than apple has made the A7 64bit processor its standard on their flagship iphone, Air and most telling, their Mini.

20. Threni macrumors member

I will be upgrading my ipad 3. I did the same ipad 1st gen the. 3rd for LTE. Of course at time of launch apple didn't state it won't work in the uk!

21. Young Turk macrumors 6502

Disagree. Just sold 32 gb ipad 4 black in pristine condition for $480 on eBay. That I'm a 100% rated seller doesn't hurt I'm sure.

22. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I think its worth the jump due to the weight and size reduction. Also getting the newest tech is fun :p. I'll sell my iPad 4 once I got the iPad Air in my hands.

23. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

Honestly I just prefer the new design compared to the old one.I have both the iPad 4 and the Mini and I think the design of the mini is just much nicer.

24. Sh4wN macrumors regular

I sold my iPad after the invitations for the iPad event went out, like I always do. Got 440€ for it, the new one is 569€. That's 129€ for a reasonable weight and size reduction, a nice speed bump and satisfying my tech addiction. Definitely worth it for me.

25. priyamsingh macrumors member

I sold my 16GB for $450 last month. Resale value is incredible for the iPad.
    How does shipping work when selling on ebay? you sold for $480 + shipping or what? How much did it cost you to ship it?