For those of you buying the Verizon iPhone at Full Retail...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stewart715, Jan 20, 2011.

1. stewart715 macrumors 6502

As some of you have noticed, the full retail price of the Verizon iPhone is 50 dollars more. If you plan on purchasing it at full retail, simply send verizon wireless customer service an email stating that the Apple website states that the verizon iphone is 599 and 699 while the verizon website states that it is 649 and 749 and you are considering switching because of this.

I did so, and received a 50 dollar credit on my bill.

Just a quick suggestion.

2. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

What? Why would they give you a $50 credit before you even bought the phone? How do they know you will actually go through with it and not just keep the $50 credit?

Now if Apple's website still shows $599 and $699 after you already paid $50 more with Verizon, then I think you'd have a good argument.

3. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i gave it a shot, it was worth a shot. im gonna pay retail anyhow so i dont really have anything to lose

4. TimShady macrumors member

Considering switching what? To AT&T? I also find it hard to believe they gave you a credit, let alone before you even bought the thing.

5. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

just a little update, i did not receive a credit of any sort and the verizon rep basically told me i should go to apple and buy it cause its cheaper. she said since its apple's phone then they can charge whatever they want and verizon can charge whatever they want as long as its not cheaper than apple. so basically verizon is jacking the price up an extra $50 because they want to milk us for just a little more. i can show you the email if you dont believe me

6. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

HA! And i just got into an argument on here the other day with someone when I said that Verizon was acting shady by milking customers out of an extra $50 for the phones. He gave me the typical "It's business dude, crap".

Is VZW online the only place you can pre-order? If so I may just wait until the 10th to order from APPLE.

7. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

So basically Verizon is honoring its current customers by making them pay an extra $50 if they want to have the iPhone 4 first? Since preorders on 2/3 are only on Verizon's site, it looks like eager Verizon customers will be giving Verizon a little charity as well...

8. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i have heard that only verizon will take pre-orders AND ive heard that both apple and verizon will. its all forum hearsay so i guess we wont know till verizon gives us some more info. im def ordering on the 3rd, apple or no apple. im impatient, what can i say .

i am one of those eager customers and as sad as it is to admit, i will be forking over that extra cash if i cant pre-order from apple :(

9. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

Maybe I'll call Apple to see what they say about pre-order.

Thing is though is that if Verizon is going to charge $50 more, then with tax you're getting bent over in comparison to the 32GB at Apple. $713 for the price gouged 16GB via Verizon (I'm including CA sales tx) & $768 for the 32GB via Apple (again including CA tax). Regardless of what your sales tax is, it'll still be the same difference in price.

See I don't mind paying an extra $50 IF I'm going to get something for it, not because VZW decides it wants to. If I'm going to pay $713, I'd rather just spend the $53 to double capacity. Verizon is just taking advantage at this point IMHO. On the other hand the 16GB at Apple is around $658 (with CA tax). Really puts what Verizon is doing in perspective.

10. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

lol well when you put it like that id look like an ******* to not go to apple and get the 32gb! but if i cant pre-order from apple im going to take that money i WOULD have saved and give it to verizon, simply for letting me pre-order my iphone before everyone else. it's financially irresponsible, trust me i know, but i really really want that phone man

11. jwiggs23 macrumors member

Has anybody called Apple to see if they will be doing pre-orders on 2/3 as well??

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, what kind of nonsense is that?
    No wonder they didnt let Bestbuy and other retailers sell the CDMA iphone also.
    Sell the iphone for more than what Apple sells it for?

13. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

I hear you, I really do but, the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off that VZW would do this to us. AND it is a fact that thye are charging 649/749 as it's on their site FAQ now.

I'm a tech whore too and it's an expensive habit. BUT, I'm always looking to get the best for the money I have set aside for something. And then think what if you don't get the phone until the 11th or 12th like the people who order on the 10th? What if the pre-order is simply nothing more than a pre-order?

There's a thread around here somewhere where somebody contacted VZW and Apple stating the pre-order would be at both places. Problem is one person says yes then the next says no and that's including VZW AND Apple reps. So you could call one VZW rep get one answer, hang up call back and get a totally different answer. Same goes for Apple. I've been meaning to call but, I get fairly busy during the day.

Utter BS. And let me state that I accepted paying full retail. I won't lie, I did try to get them to move up my upgrade but they would not, so I accepted it and moved on. Call me crazy but, I am a heavy Apple user and have been waiting on the iPhone at VZW forever and set aside the money for it. However, like a lot of other VZW customers I gave up in the middle of last year, caved in, and used my upgrade for an original Droid to hold me over. My fault I guess, but I got tired of the endless rumors resulting in nothing and I needed a new phone for business when I'm not near my Mac. I bitched and moaned, they wouldn't relent, so I accepted I can pay full now and sell my Droid and hold onto my upgrade if/when another iPhone is released and sell the ViPhone 4.

But, the extra $50 being charged by them is totally unacceptable when you can plainly see Apple's pricing on the Apple site. Let's not forget that Verizon will be charging full sales tax too.

For the record I emailed Verizon and nothing as far as a $50 credit for me either. Just my ETF fee if I want to cancel.

Don't worry though the telco moon-lickers will be along shortly to tell us all that we're whining, this is American Business and if we don't like it, we can suck it.