Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
You're complaining because a watch that tells time, sends/receives texts and emails, uses GPS, plays music, tracks fitness, and much more STARTS at $350?

Just know that this is Apple in the fashion industry now. It's different in the fashion industry. In the fashion industry, stuff like this exists. Check the price tag and tell me all the things this bracelet can do..

http://usa.hermes.com/jewelry/leather-jewelry/men-s-bracelets/blue/configurable-product-h068404ck.html?color_hermes=BLEU%20OBSCUR&nuance=1

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You're complaining because a watch that tells time, sends/receives texts and emails, uses GPS, plays music, tracks fitness, and much more STARTS at $350?

Just know that this is Apple in the fashion industry now. It's different in the fashion industry. In the fashion industry, stuff like this exists. Check the price tag and tell me all the things this bracelet can do..

http://usa.hermes.com/jewelry/leather-jewelry/men-s-bracelets/blue/configurable-product-h068404ck.html?color_hermes=BLEU%20OBSCUR&nuance=1

Just a little correction if I may :)

Some are speculating that Apple looks like it might be trying in some aspect to enter the fashion industry.

Anything more than that, I would suggest is just fantasy guesswork at this exact moment in time. And something that will only be made clear in the fullness of time.

:)

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
People that buy Hermes brand stuff just want other people to know they buy Hermes brand stuff.

And it doesn't do GPS, your phone does GPS.

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.
price ?

That is like comparing apples and oranges, though the apple watch will have a fashion aspect to it, apple is trying to build a watch that is functional and also useful. I'm a maintenance man in a steel mill, fashion looks good but I want something that will hold up to my job. I have been through 4 watches in the last 6 months, the sapphire glass and stainless should hold up better than what I have been wearing. As for the price; $350 would be well worth it if this watch would last a year or more

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

People complain because they think everything needs to be in their favor. They don't understand how business's work. Apple is here to make money. Not do **** the way you want them to.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
People complain because they think everything needs to be in their favor.
People complain because that's how the game is played. Don't ask, don't get.

They don't understand how business's work.
I think you'll find many do. It's not much different from how many people work.

Apple is here to make money.
Aren't we all!

Not do **** the way you want them to

Nothing wrong with asking. As above: Don't ask, don't get.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
That is like comparing apples and oranges, though the apple watch will have a fashion aspect to it, apple is trying to build a watch that is functional and also useful. I'm a maintenance man in a steel mill, fashion looks good but I want something that will hold up to my job. I have been through 4 watches in the last 6 months, the sapphire glass and stainless should hold up better than what I have been wearing. As for the price; $350 would be well worth it if this watch would last a year or more

$350 is the price of the aluminum with gorilla glasss model. Stainless steel with sapphire will likely cost more. By how much, we don't know yet.

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.
stainless model

Oh I'm sorry, but I thought I read that the aluminum model was the sport model, and the stainless was the basic apple watch. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait and see, and make my choice then. thank you for the info!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Oh I'm sorry, but I thought I read that the aluminum model was the sport model, and the stainless was the basic apple watch. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait and see, and make my choice then. thank you for the info!

The aluminum is the Sport and the starting price (basic) model. The SS will probably be anywhere from $450 to over $1000.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006

I would also wait and see how disable it is. It doesn't strike me as a workhorse intended for challenging environments.

The initial price really isn't all that bad. It's what you get for the price and where the prices go from there. It is, I believe, around $100 more than any of its competitors, and it is questionable if it offers $100 more worth. Especially considering the actual cost will likely run closer $450-$500 for most people if they buy an extra strap or two, and go with the larger version.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Here's an excerpt from the New Yorker piece on Jony Ive, quoting two of his designers after the September event:

I was walking around with Richard Howarth and Julian Hönig; they stared, slightly dazed, at people handling objects that only they had handled for years. When a product demonstrator gave me his pitch, they interrupted with design footnotes. “The materials in this thing are insane,” Howarth said. People, he noted, were saying that the watch’s face was made of “sapphire glass”: “It’s not glass, it’s sapphire crystal—completely different structure. And then the stainless steel is super-hardened. And the zirconia ceramic on the back is co-finished with sapphire as well.” He added, “This would cost so much money if a different company was making it—Rolex or something. It would be a hundred grand or something.”

“We sell it for just fifty thousand,” Hönig said, joking.

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.
not labor friendly

I guess I will wait and see, maybe this watch isn't for the people who actually do physical labor. thanks

----------

I guess I will wait and see, maybe this watch isn't for the people who actually do physical labor. the price wouldn't be bad if it would stand up. thanks

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Here's an excerpt from the New Yorker piece on Jony Ive, quoting two of his designers after the September event:

Are they talking about the watch or the HiFi? Normal Apple distortion field. They say that about every single product they make.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007

They charge twice as much for tablets, computers, and phones too. Nothing to see here. Move along.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Exactly!

Cars with clocks costs thousands. And they can't "send emails" and only tracks miles. :apple:

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK

How does this explain the premium we pay for other Apple products?

Nothing to do with fashion, its just the same as every other Apple product.

rossy100

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2011
As for the price; $350 would be well worth it if this watch would last a year or more

Is this a new feature? The watch will spontaneously combust after 12 months so that it can no longer be used??? The watch will function identically after 10 years as it does on day 1 (assuming no damage)...... Just because Apple may have released updated models does not force you to buy them or render the previous version useless. And the fact that the value will reduce because of new versions is irrelevant as no one should be buying a smart watch as an investment! Technology moves on and smart watches will be no different to anything else. I change my iPhone every year, but that is my choice. Likewise I change my TV every 3 or 4 years - not because there aren't newer and better models out with functionality I would love - but because I choose not to update so frequently.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Is this a new feature? The watch will spontaneously combust after 12 months so that it can no longer be used??? The watch will function identically after 10 years as it does on day 1 (assuming no damage)...... Just because Apple may have released updated models does not force you to buy them or render the previous version useless. And the fact that the value will reduce because of new versions is irrelevant as no one should be buying a smart watch as an investment! Technology moves on and smart watches will be no different to anything else. I change my iPhone every year, but that is my choice. Likewise I change my TV every 3 or 4 years - not because there aren't newer and better models out with functionality I would love - but because I choose not to update so frequently.

Just to correct you on one point.

Many Many iPads and iPhone perform a lot worse today than they did when they were launched due to OS updates that cause the item to be worse, and you cannot go back to the previous OS, which I thing the law courts should impose a ruling on, that you can go back.

There is every chance, after a few OS updates this watch will become far worse than it is on launch day, almost to the point where you are so fed up, you need to get a newer model thru no fault of your own.

rossy100

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2011
Just to correct you on one point.

Many Many iPads and iPhone perform a lot worse today than they did when they were launched due to OS updates that cause the item to be worse, and you cannot go back to the previous OS, which I thing the law courts should impose a ruling on, that you can go back.

There is every chance, after a few OS updates this watch will become far worse than it is on launch day, almost to the point where you are so fed up, you need to get a newer model thru no fault of your own.

OK - point taken..... but hopefully you understand the point I am trying to make - and that is that the watch will mosts certainly last more than the 12 months stated by the OP. Lots of people complaining that they "have to" purchase a 2nd generation in 12 months...... which is complete and utter nonsense. You might "want to"..... but you don't "have to".

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

I don't really see your point. Many people will argue that their phone tells the time, send/receives texts and emails, uses GPS, plays music, tracks fitness and much more (probably much, much more than the Apple Watch) and starts at less than $350 for a lot of lower end phones.

I think Apple will sell a lot, but it's a much harder sell than any of their other products as it just duplicates functionality on another screen. Sure it's smaller, so that's quite impressive, and it has a HR monitor, but at the cost of around a Mac Mini or iPad Air?

Don't get me wrong, I do love the concept and think it will be a very useful device, but I can see why people may perceive it as being worse value for money than Apple's other main products.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Sounds snooty, it's not my intention, but a simple response to the OP's question would be "It's not aimed at you".

Irregardless of whether it proves to be good/bad/useless, all common sense and basic comprehension points to Apple simply not being interested in the budget end of the market.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
OK - point taken..... but hopefully you understand the point I am trying to make - and that is that the watch will mosts certainly last more than the 12 months stated by the OP. Lots of people complaining that they "have to" purchase a 2nd generation in 12 months...... which is complete and utter nonsense. You might "want to"..... but you don't "have to".

Indeed yes, you are quite correct.

Many Apple folks seem to consider if life or death if they cannot have the latest and newest model Apple has to offer, esp when it comes to the smaller personal items (iOS devices)

This is one of the reasons, I'm not SO convinced about this whole Upgrading the internals only idea some seem to have.

Even more so if the exterior on the new models change.
Will they want to be seen with an Apple product that could be mistaken for an old model! OMG the shame of it! :eek:

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.
last a year

Is this a new feature? The watch will spontaneously combust after 12 months so that it can no longer be used??? The watch will function identically after 10 years as it does on day 1 (assuming no damage)......

The question I had was about how sturdy this watch will be, I work as a maintenance man in a steel mill and have been through 4 watches in a few months and if it will hold up for a year or more it will be more than worth the price. the other features are a plus; I love apple products from the ipod through the iphone, and now apple watch when it is released

Ekuk

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
I'd like to see bond wearing the new apple watch in the new spectre film. Sounds like it's a good fit if it's a fashion item. Personally I'll buy the cheapest one cos I'm not rich and I'll almost certainly want the apple watch 2, might buy the mid range for v2. Bond wearing it is the most likely way to persuade me to upgrade to a steel one v2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.