For those of you planning on upgrading to iPhone 5, where to trade/sell old iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Newbie MacUser, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Newbie MacUser macrumors member

Hey guys, I didn't see a thread for this on the first page so I decided to go ahead and ask where is everyone going to sell/trade their old iPhone before or after the iPhone 5 comes out? I just sold my Black iPhone 4S 16GB to amazon.com for $410 (like new condition). They are buying the White iPhone 4S 16GB for $415.

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

I sold my 16gb on craigs for $465. I'm on prepaid so I plan to buy the new one for $500-550 on craigs from someone

3. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Considered this but I'd prefer cash.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Sell mine on Craigslist every year. You just have to be patient, ignore the scammers (or tell them to f-off like I do :p), and make sure you meet in a public place like a bank, coffee shop, or my favorite...their wireless carrier where they can get a new sim if necessary and test the phone.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I sold my 4 on the marketplace forum here....One hour from the ad going up to cash in my hand! Not sure what to do with my 4S yet though...I often pass on phones to buddies...IF I can afford it..:)

6. Gibbons macrumors member

Also craigslist. Sold two iPhone 4's that were used for two years and then unlocked, and made back what I spent on them + a little profit. I used the money to buy cheap, new iPhone 4S's. Didn't want the new iPhone. :D

Like Geckotek said about craigslist, patience - wait for the right buyer. If they type in all caps, ignore them. I look for buyers that seem like mature adults and I've never had a bad experience.

7. eyespii macrumors 6502

sold my 16gb iPhone 4s verizon for $400 cash yesterday on craigslist. Someone bought it for cash within a couple hours of posting it.

8. lisaadams macrumors newbie

4S or 5?

Does anyone know if it is worth to update the 4s to the 5? Is there big difference in functions and operating system?
    Thanks

9. eyespii macrumors 6502

how would anyone know that? The new phone hasn't been officially announced yet.

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Only speculation and rumour exist at present.

Some are taking a leap of faith and selling their current iPhone in readiness for the new iPhone.

I'd hazard a guess that some may even re purchase a version of their old model after not liking the new iPhone aesthetically or for what's under its hood.

Exciting times ahead.

11. Newbie MacUser thread starter macrumors member

One of the added reason's I'm upgrading to the iPhone 5 is I will be doing extensive international traveling soon and I can't afford to be locked down by AT&T.....So this way I buy a brand new unlocked phone right off the bat. If I kept my 4S and asked AT&T to unlock it, they wouldn't do it until my contract was up in a little over a year.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Care to bet on that? They do it every year and every year they buy the new model.

13. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

14. chokem macrumors 6502

I'll eBay it or sell it on Craigslist if I decide to upgrade. I've had good luck in the past with both venues.

15. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Is AT&T doing any early upgrades this year?

They are not really helping in terms of....support.

But I'm just wondering if someone got somthing different. I did the upgrade text and got this:

[​IMG]

Seems like I can, but the AT&T store is says different. I want to sell my iphone now, but I'm wondering if I should wait.

16. iWantThat macrumors member

I've had no issues dealing with people from Craigslist in the past. As long as the person sends a somewhat coherent email and agree to meet up in public I would have no qualms about doing it again.