For those of you that sold your white 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mckvakk, Aug 8, 2009.

1. mckvakk macrumors regular

Do you think you got as much as you would for a black one?

I'm considering getting the white 3Gs, but apart from it being more prine to dirt and cracks, the resale value is the thing that worries me most since the white doesn't seem that popular.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Well my opinion is screw resale value and get what you want. :p

4. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

as far as resale value goes, definitely get the black and put a case and crystal or invisible shield on it

5. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I've had both, and rather get the white. Yes it gets dirty, but it's nothing compared to the disgusting visible prints and finger grease. But that's just my opinion. Get what tickles your pickle ;)

6. noobinator macrumors 601

So you are willing to get a color u don't like and put up with looking at it for a yeAr or longer to make a few extra bux?

7. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I like the white one so it wouldnt matter to me. If i can get a white one cheaper, .....cool! You guys can have black one that everybody else has.

However, i have 4 cases in different colors like this one if i want to change it. Picture is fuzzy but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

8. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I think I would have gotten more for a black 16gb.

I got the white thinking about being different and that it would grow on me.

But it didn't lol

9. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

So have I, and I agree with The MBC about the fingerprints on the black cover. I had to be careful when I put a case on my new black 3G S so the back would remain clean.

Colour-wise, I like both. I got a black one this time only because my wife wanted my white 3G-S and I thought it'd be cooler to have black and white between us. :)

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I think you're much better off getting a white one if you plan to sell it later, for the simple reason that white iPhones tend to develop case cracks that are easy to spot. You can therefore have the phone replaced by Apple right before selling it. Voilà! A brand new phone to sell. ;)

11. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

My iPhone 3G was white, and so is my new 32GB 3GS. I found that the price I got for my white 3G at auction was pretty much the same, if not a lttle more than the black iPhones. Fewer white models were sold here and I think that has given it a bit more cachet in the resale market.

As for my 3GS, who cares what I get for it in a year's time as long it makes me happy :apple:

12. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I had the same experience: in my area (Southern California), white was going for a touch more than black. I sold my white for $400, so I couldn't have been happier.

And yes, I got white again, just moved up to the 32gb. No case this time either.

13. TheMBC macrumors 6502

When the whole hairline cracks fiasco was happening, it happened to me as well, and Apple didn't even think once about replacing my phone. It was near the headphone jack and everything.

That being said, I (still) sold my phone for a pretty penny and it wasn't even unlocked ;)

14. army91c macrumors 6502a

I had a white 3g that I sold for $350 a few weeks after the 3gs came out. I had to get a black 3gs (wanted a white) because the Apple store I went to was oos of the whites and I had to ship out the 3g.... So kinda bumbed :(

Black shows EVERYTHING! My white 3g didn't get "dirty" like some of you say. No cracks either yet my black 3gs has 2. When I get one for my wife I'll pick up a white one and swap it for my black.

15. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I always felt like the white ones went for money since there isn't as many as black ones out there. My white one looks new on the back, but I also keep it in a case.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Completely agree.

Life's too short to worry about resale value.

17. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

That's exactly what I did with my white 3G on June 18th.