For those of you who are getting ripped off with CPWH insurance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hustle, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

When i went to Carphone Warehouse to get my UK iPhone yesterday, they talked me into buying their LifeLine iPhone insurance at £40 every 3 months, however, i contacted 02 to get a second opinion on their insurance and they told me they do the same insurance plan with them for £7.50 a month.

So instead of paying £40 each 3 months with CPWH, go with 02 and pay £22.50.

Much cheaper. :)

I'm cancelling my iPhone insurance with CPWH on Monday. You get 14 days to cancel.

2. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

They tried at Carphone to get me to buy insurance by saying only they could insure it if bought from there and that o2 wouldn't touch it. Blatant lies obviously but unfair. I'm going to insure at o2. They're pretty good with claims and stuff as well.

3. paulo999 macrumors member

I've heard one report of a Carphone Warehouse store saying (to one customer at least) that you *had* to buy their insurance, or they wouldn't sell you the phone. :eek:

4. Cardy macrumors member

Have any of you tried your home insurance? Mine is covered on that.

5. cherbert macrumors member

Better make sure its covered for the value of £500 because thats what o2 will charge you for a replacement iPhone.

6. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

See this discussion for more information.

Home insurance will probably only cover the cost of the handset. Specific insurance policies cover much more than that.

7. Gee macrumors 65816

£7.50 a month is still a total rip-off. A hardware failure is covered under warranty; and if you get it nicked, it's often covered under your home contents insurance.

They're both making out like bandits at those prices.

8. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

You're not comparing like-with-like.

Home insurance pays for your handset (often only if it's actually stolen). Mobile phone insurance pays for theft + loss + accidental damage + unauthorised calls (+ allows you to exit early from your contract even if it isn't lost or stolen in the case of the CPW insurance). Yes, it's more expensive, but it also provides more protection. Some policies will potentially pay out up to £10,000 if a thief goes on a calling spree to premium rate numbers with your phone. Your household insurance will not pay this. Read the policies. They're all very different.

However, I'm not saying they're all good value for money (in fact, I'm sure some of them aren't), but you need to make sure you are making a fair comparison.