For those of you who dictate heavily and upgraded + more

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by h00ligan, Oct 22, 2016.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Hopefully someone here can give me some basic information. I have always felt my Apple Watch was underpowered. But no where is it more obvious than trying to dictate a response and text or email. Particularly anything of length tends to crash out the app or hang it just doesn't work properly and when it does it lags horribly. So has the new version of the Apple Watch added a significant improvement to dictated responses overall?

I don't so like to know if the 10 item quick launch doc actually works or if it's still develop a problem because right now things are supposed to instantly load certainly do anything but that and honestly glances were more useful. If I launch something like deliveries the watch is unresponsive for 5 to 10 seconds then it's been such an incredibly slow update cycle, then it displays the information I was looking for. So changing from one app to another using the quick launch "instant" Doc has certainly been anything other than instant for me and everything short of and sometimes including apples own native apps spend a lot of time trying to wake back up, so much so that I fundamentally find the feature relatively useless.

If the dictation is better but the quick lunch stuff still isn't great then I may just go with the less expensive version since it's effectively the same as the first with a faster chip. But if the overall experience is substantially smoother and dictation is much better then I'll probably spring for the series 2 in a more expensive configuration. Thanks a lot for any help I appreciate it. Unfortunately speed test don't typically cover dictation nor so people seem to use it much or report back.

2. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Nobody dictates heavily with apple watch? Surely i cant be he only person here with hand issues.

Well dictation aside dies the quick launch work ? As in dies it adtuslky restire things fast or show uodated informstion in thumbnail view ?

3. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I think we all gave up on dictation since it was so hit or miss. Now that I can scribble responses, I do that every time.

I use very few apps on the watch, so my feedback is of limited value, but I have found switching apps in the dock is quite responsive. If not instant, maybe a second or two lag for the app to refresh.

4. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks.

I gave to say. I habent found a use for scribble. Because of some illness I've been incredibly under informed on things as of late so I probably don't understand what it's really for but to me it just seems like another way to draw on a very tiny screen so I don't really see how that's useful for sending responses let me go read about it.

5. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh right. The predictive text thing. Very very slow for me.

Well i guess maybe ill have to buy s jee one and if it's not enough of an upgrade ill return jt and keep the first gen. I know it's really hard to quantify but for example I just tried to launch the app Deliveries which tracks packages and I brought it up the dock and it wasn't up-to-date it was two days out of date and I had to manually refresh it it didn't do it and then when I manually refresh it basically lock the watch for three minutes and then finally I just quit it and had to start again and that seems to be my experience with the quick launch/doc more often than not where as at least glances regularly.. .

I'm starting to think that the best thing to do is set up the info watch face and set up two or three of them with different information and swipe between the watch faces

Unfortunately I think it is hard to quantify speed increase on the watch you know you can time launch is but it's all about a feel there's a point at which things will be fast enough unfortunately the first one is not there and things are not fast enough my guess is that it needs to be about twice as fast for me to feel like it's fast enough and that is Feist twice as fast on everything Apple launch is data refresh from the data that's coming from the phone. Is there any increase in Bluetooth speed though it doesn't matter as much now that all apps have to be native I wonder if the information coming from the phone is being transmitted any faster or baby just processed faster from the faster watch processor.

Oh well I figured I'd ask but I think not even using it in stores going to be good enough I'm gonna have to actually just buy one and see thanks for your reply I appreciate it

6. appleish19 macrumors regular

appleish19

I found with watchOS 3 dictation to be much faster more accurate and stable on my series 0. I dictate in the car while walking and while working out. Mostly shorter to medium length messages although I have dictated some emails that were longer with no problems. :)