For those of you who have 3.0 already: Tethering and Fido

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arkanok, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Ok so I got 3.0 on my phone (don't ask how) and I'm on Fido. Now, I went into the networking thing and found where it says tethering and there's a button that says "Set up tethering", but when I click it, it says "You must contact Fido to set up, but I'm sure if I called them right now, I'd get no help on the matter.

Anybody know how to enable it?

UPDATE: I just called them anyways to see if they'll even support it, and he says YES. BUT, he says when you update your phone it should be working right away, but it's not working right now... I guess just wait till tomorrow and find out?

2. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I should also mention that I tried that link that is flying around that enables it, but sadly, Canada is not in the list and therefore neither are Rogers / Fido.

3. tr5755 macrumors newbie

I had a 500 MB data plan with Rogers and read at http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/iphone_faqs?setLanguage=en that tethering is only supported with a 1 GB or better plan. Before, when I had the 500MB plan, it said the same thing as you, but after I upgraded it to the 6GB plan ($30 again!), the tethering works fine. It states on that Rogers page that tethering uses your existing data, so no additional charge. Fido probably has the same deal.

4. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Well I've got the 6gb plan, so I dunno what the prob would be.

5. Remoth macrumors newbie

I have the 6Gb plan, and I called rogers. they enabled the tethering on my phone and its been working perfectly. Rogers and Fido are very close to the same, since the same people own them. I'm sure the tethering rule of having over a 1GB plan to tether is the same on Fido. Call them. I'm sure they'll be able to enable it for you. Although I think it may be automatically enabled tomorrow.

heck go here. Itll answer everything for you.

https://www.fido.ca/web/content/faq/iphone_qa09#q17

6. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Good find on the FAQ on the fido site, I guess they just updated it recently cause I checked earlier today and it wasn't as full as it is now. Good news that Fido is allowing tethering just fine, but still doesn't explain why I can't get it working. The guy that I spoke to at Fido just said "When you install 3.0, tethering will work automatically," but he didn't seem to understand that I already had it on my phone, and was therefore not really helpful.

Either way, they're closed up now for the night, but I'm gonna give'em a ring tomorrow if it doesn't work at that point.

7. Remoth macrumors newbie

Like I said in my first post. they have to enable it at Fido. Also, I'm sure they will automatically turn on tethering shortly after the 3.0 release for those with 1GB or more plans.