For those of you who have external speakers for your iMac...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AR86, Dec 7, 2014.

1. AR86 macrumors member

Was your priority aesthetics or sound quality? i'm sure both came into play but normally one leads over the other, i'm asking as i'll soon be getting a 21.5" iMac and as they're naturally great looking i'm going to make an effort to intregrate some nice looking external speakers into my setup (most likely a 2.0 setup) but ofcourse i'd want some solid sound quality to go along with the looks.

My question really is have any of you found a perfect fit in terms of both sound and aesthetics when it comes to your iMac? and if so i'd really like to see/hear about it, at the moment the only serious contender on my shortlist are the Bose Companion 20's and I know a lot of people don't like Bose in general (not the biggest fan myself) but I do feel the Companions 20's fit very well wit the mac but i'm still exploring other options so if you have any please let me know.

I also considered the Audio Engine A2's but found them a touch on blocky side in terms of looks, i'm VERY interested in the 'Incline' speakers by Definitive Technology which look fantastic and are supposed to sound the part to but they're near impossible to find in the UK.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

If "sound" is your priority, vis-a-vis "looks", shouldn't you be looking at "studio monitors"...?

3. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

I have two iMac 27s, one with Harman Kardon Soundsticks III (a 2.1 system), the other with B&W MM-1 (a 2.0 system):

HK: http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/...aXlrkDIUHxo6JYKCEE-iIEQpOx0gtNkMsjxoCzxDw_wcB

B&W MM-1: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Computer-Speakers/MM-1

The Soundsticks are hard to beat in terms of audio bang for the buck and aesthetics. They were designed by Apple chief designer Jony Ive. They are practical, good-looking, take up little desk real estate and blend into many decors.

However the B&K MM-1's have a little better sound. As a 2.0 system they have adequate bass but not equal to a 2.1 system like the Soundsticks. The MM-1's are expensive but if you're a real audiophile they do sound better.

4. AR86 thread starter macrumors member

Maybe, but i'm in the looks as a priority category but don't want to neglect audio quality either

5. qcmacmini macrumors 6502

Then you really can't go past the Soundsticks, they are awesome.

6. AR86 thread starter macrumors member

Not a fan of the HK Sound Sticks for the longest time i've found their design to be totally odd looking, the B&W MM1's are nice put for the price the sound quality didn't really wow me

7. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

Ruark MR1s.

They sound great (won the WhatHiFi best desktop speakers award in both 2013 and 2014) and look the part too - especially in white with the grilles off.

They have some of the best stereo imaging I've heard on any speakers, regardless of price.

They are not cheap though at £300.

They are a significant step up from Audio Engine A2s

They also have bluetooth and you can get a rechargeable battery pack for them for an extra £50 that lasts about 10 hours - which makes them very portable - small enough to take on holiday or out in the garden in summer etc.

I have been nothing but massively impressed by them.

8. AR86 thread starter macrumors member

These (the white versions) have really got me interested, can you confirm that they can be connected to a PC/Mac via standard 3.5mm jack? because although bluetooth is cool I want my desktop speakers to be wired.

9. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

Yes - they have a standard 3.5mm jack too - I use them wired to my iMac. They also have a 3.5mm subwoofer out if you want to shake the room.

10. AR86 thread starter macrumors member

Spot on, i'm putting them on the top my list for now may even look for a nice sub to really max things out would have to be a cheapo sub though given the cost of the speakers themselves

11. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

Not sure what cheap is for you but the best subs you can get for the money are from another UK company called BK. At least as good as REL subs and about half the cost. You buy direct from the manufacturer.

BK Gemini 2 is their cheapest at £215 and if you can afford another £100 their XLS200 is a beast and simply unbeatable for the money. Its basically £600 quids worth of sub for £315.

They sell from their own site but also on eBay. Same price on both but you get quicker delivery if you buy on eBay.

12. applebutter macrumors newbie

13. forg0t macrumors member

I cannot recommend audioengines enough. I have the P4 + S8 with the N22 and it's amazing. The A5+ is suppose to be even better.

14. cycledance Suspended

my priority is sound quality.

i use a pair of black hs8 on black metal stands for my 27" imac. they are also nice to look at.

big speakers like that are probably not everyones cup of tea though.

15. richest macrumors regular

MM1s for me.
    superb mini hi fi speakers and very musical.

16. AR86 thread starter macrumors member

Those prices are killing me, not even nailed down my mac yet and i've managed to eye up some £300 speakers and a sub :mad:

To be fair the subwoofer will have duel usage as when it's not working as part of my mac setup i'd have it hooked up to my Canton DM50 soundbase which sits beneath my TV, the DM50 is a great soundbase but it has a sub out port and I want to take advantage of it.

17. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Have a look at Audioengine A2 or A2+. Small, and the sound is good.

I don't doubt that the B&Ws sound better (I use B&W everywhere else) but the A2 is attractively-priced (in the US at least).

The A2+ has a sub output.

18. AR86 thread starter macrumors member

Hi mate what ID so BK go by on ebay? and could you get me the exact model number if possible? chhers

19. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

20. frompast macrumors member

Attached Files:

21. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

How do you like the sound? Did you compare it to the soundsticks?

22. frompast, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

frompast macrumors member

I'm not good in describing sound ,but 1.25” backward tweeters
    will passive radiate trebe forward to create less sharp however
    digital accurate field.

On the other hand 2.5” drivers are quick enough to produce BASS detail which
    I like it most.

2 x 20W bi-amp NOVA compare to SoundStick which's Satellite Amplifier
    Output 20W RMS and Subwoofer Apmlifier Output 10W RMS per channel
    is specificationly good enough for me,besides I can't handle too many treble.