For those of you who have the Griffin Reveal

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nelly41, Jul 19, 2010.

1. nelly41 macrumors regular

I talked to their customer service support today and told them about the Reveal case causing issues with the flash. They told me that they were aware of this problem and they received their REVISED shipments and they are going to send me one free of charge. So just a FYI for the rest of you guys, give them a call and get your new case. Hopes this helps.

2. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Thanks, going to try this tomorrow

3. jgayman macrumors member

I have a Reveal case but have not yet installed it. What is the issue with the flash?

4. number9 macrumors 6502

A lot of plastic cases, including the Griffin Reveal, cause the photos taken with the flash to be washed out or hazy. The size and proximity of the cutout in the case around the flash and camera is too close so it reflects and refracts the flash, causing the imag problems.

I emailed Griffin last week and this is what I was told:

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

6. OnNightfall macrumors regular

If anyone has a reveal case return it while you still can. 1. It has the flash issue 2. It doesn't help that much against the antenna issue. 3. It scratches really easily making the back look ugly. 4. Dust and stuff* get into the back and if you do not clean it every 3 days you will get scratches unless you have a rear screen protector. I returned mine this past weekend and thank god I did.

7. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

This is all true. I bought a Reveal on the day I got my iPhone, June 23. I used it for a few hours and loads of dust and stuff got in the back of it. I took it back the next day and got a Belkin Grip Vue.

8. number9 macrumors 6502

Yeah, the back does scratch pretty easily, but I had bought it with a $15 Best Buy rewards zone certificate, so it was only $10. It has served it's purpose while I look for another case. I haven't had any issues with the antennae issue with the Reveal, and not too much dust gets in (I take it off and just dust it off occaisonally), and I'll gladly take a replacement one in a couple weeks. It'll continue to be a good stop gap and/or a back up. Also, the Sharpie trick took care of the flash issue.

Also, I everyone seems to think that you're definitely going to get scratches from dust inside clear plastic cases like this, and that's not really true. With the 3G and 3GS, it was absolutely true, the plastic back of those phones was very soft (relatively speaking) and was very susceptible to small scratches from dust trapped in a case if there was relative movement. I really don't think that the glass on the iPhone 4 is nearly as susceptible to this kind of scratching, since it's orders of magnitude harder than the 3G/3Gs plastic. Unless you get sand (actual glass particles) or something equally hard inside the case, the iPhone 4 should be fine if there isn't a lot of slop in the fit of the case. Normal pocket lint and household dust is mostly linen and dead skin (yumm), and neither of those are harder than the iPhone glass. Besides, at least with the Reveal, there is space between the plastic back and the iPhone, so the dust isn't even necessarily in contact with both surfaces.

9. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Has anyone got the email for Griffin? Its just that I purchased mine on eBay, and to save on shipping, the seller send mine to me without any packaging.

Thanks in advance.

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I agree on the scratching back issue, but the for me it seemed the best case at the time, as there weren't many available on day 1. As for the dust issue, I don't see that since I stopped placing it in my pocket. I got lots of dust and pocket lint while doing that, but since stopping that practice, the dust issue is non-existant for me.

11. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

I have the same case and yes the sharpie trick work for me as well, now just waiting for my otterbox defender I just order :D

12. nyisles84 macrumors regular

I just called in about my case. The agent had me take a picture of my receipt and the case and email it back to him. I did so and now it's being processed for them to ship me the new one free.

13. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

Do you have to destroy it, as per the email instruction? I would hate to be case-less for the two weeks of processing...

14. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

The rep I spoke with today expressly said to disregard the instructions in the e-mail about destroying the old case. I just sent a picture of the (unbroken) case and my receipt, and I've already got my confirmation back that my new case "should ship out in the next couple of business days."

M

15. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

Thanks a bunch!

I always have warm fuzzy feeling after dealing with a fantastically efficient customer service...in this case, Griffin Technology :)

16. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

Just FYI - I made my replacement request Tuesday, the new case shipped Wednesday, and was delivered to my house today (Thursday.) Unfortunately, I am at work and it was delivered to my home, so I can't give pictures or describe whatever modifications may have been made to the case design until later. But I am impressed with the fast delivery time.
    M

17. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

The back of iPhone 4 scratches incredibly easily. I think it's due to the coating on the phone. I have three phones that were scratched in pockets (no diamond present).

18. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

Damn! That's a really quick turn around time. Do you live somewhere close to their warehouse? I got my email confirmation on wed too and the delivery is expected to be on Monday.

19. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

Actually, I do. It looks like it shipped from Nashville, and I live in Atlanta, so that's only about 250 miles.

M

20. jgayman macrumors member

Interesting. I contacted them on Tuesday and was told to wait until the last week of the month and resubmit my request.

21. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

I just got a case directly from Griffin. It has a cut out for flash, does not appear to be interfering at all.

However I really am not to keen on the rubber sides always flapping up when going from side to side, it should be a better firmer fit.

Very disappointed and will be ordering a Belkin or casemate from Apple program and returning this.