For those of you who recently exchanged your iPhone 3G .....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by narjisse, Dec 1, 2008.

1. narjisse macrumors newbie

For those of you who recently exchanged your iPhone 3G,

What does your serial number starts with?
    Just curious to know what I am going to get in my next visit to exchange.
    I have read somewhere that refurb unit's serial starts with 5K8.
    Are there something other than 5K8 or is it all 5K8 now? :confused:

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Mine starts with 5k7. Apple says that the 5k is no longer used to represent refurbished, but I bet they still are at this point. The genius I asked said he has no way of knowing if it's new or refurbished. All of the replacements have had issues for me like light leaks or battery problems, so it's possible they are new or Apple's refurbished unit inspectors are bad.

3. narjisse thread starter macrumors newbie

4. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Just got back from replacing mine for cracks at the bottom near the dock connector. Mine starts with 5K8.

5. Inukami macrumors 6502

i got a question as well, does it come with 2.1 or 2.2 firmware?

6. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

It came with 2.1 firmware and it is a week 43 phone.

7. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Sorry to threadjack here, but I have had my iPhone since the day the 3G came out, and now I have a crack near the vibrate switch. I am debating on whether or not to exchange it. It sounds like people are having too many problems, and I can live with a crack. I hate to exchange it just to have other problems. So, the reason I am writing in this thread, is I am curious how many people who recently exchanged there phones are having issues with there new ones?

Also, any chance of them exchanging it for a new, not refurbished one?

8. romanaz macrumors regular

romanaz

I'm a 5K8 as well, had mine replaced almost a month and a half ago.

9. .adam macrumors regular

Replaced last week; 5K8... serial number.

Light leak, poor screen clarity... this one's going back.

10. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I have always liked refurbs. I had two for my first gen and replaced them due to software issues. The casings were new on both. I have my original iphone 3g and it has light leaks but they are only noticeable in the dark.

11. zjmuse macrumors member

just replaced my tonight

Got a "new" one with 5K8. Was told it was new, but not too sure, the protection stickers were poorly put on, air bubbles all over it. But still syncing to the old backup so not too sure how it works. Didnt know to check if it had any usage on the phone before I synced.

12. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Why did you need to replace yours?

13. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I've heard they've changed a few things internally in the more recent batches... Anyone know anything about this or what they updated/changed?

14. zjmuse macrumors member

Mine was one of the many that have cracked. I noticed it from day 1, of course after I went home from the store, but didn't think I wanted to risk getting a worse phone since it wasn't a big crack or one you could feel. But when I checked a few weeks ago, it was way bigger and you could feel it with your finger.

15. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

That is the same thing I have, a small crack, but you can feel it with your fingernail. But I was thinking the same thing, that I didn't want to exchange it just to have a different, worse problem. I would like to try to get a new, not refurbished one also.

16. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

I had mine replaced two weeks ago with a NEW one right out of the OEM box and mine starts with 888
    Granted it took over 1 hour to get a brand new one after arguing with the manager.
    FYI - if its not from the OEM retail box its a refurb or a return plain and simple. Some might be in mint condition but some might still have issues. Dont let the reps tell you other wise because this has been confirmed with apple care.

17. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Got mine replaced last month with a 5K8.. week 42... no problems at all with this phone... except that the vibrate rocker seems to be really loose side to side.... ie if you shake the phone you can hear it clang around....

18. zjmuse macrumors member

Mine is week 46. No problems I can see with it. Everything is tight.

19. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I'm thinking of taking mine in for a new one, my current one has started to lag so bloody much, it's almost unusable at times (i reboot my phone everyday)

But i don't know if it's hardware or software, but i've only noticed these problems recently and i've had the phone since August.

20. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

You should try a restore before you even consider taking it in for a replacement

21. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Yeah I guess, the funny thing is that I've first experienced this on 2.1 then it went away on 2.2 only to come back now still on 2.2.

It seems like that after the firmware has been on the phone for a while it slows down.

The same thing with safari run great in the begining of 2.2 to start crashing now.

22. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Mine starts with 818XXX. . . I got it at an At&t store on 11/12/08. :D