For those of you who's reservations were "cancelled"...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by absolut`, Jun 17, 2010.

1. absolut` macrumors member

Or those who made reservations, called the store, and was told that they weren't in the system.

In my case, I received an confirmation email. So I plan to arrive around 5AM at the Apple store and stand in the reserve line with my printed confirmation email.

What happens when we get in, they see we don't have a reservation in the system? What are the chances they'll give us a phone seeing that we have the confirmation email?

I talked to a rep at my Apple store yesterday, he said I should be fine as long as I bring a printed email.

Anybody else have any insight?

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

3. cu2010 macrumors 6502

I was told the same thing, although in my case I'm the one who mistakenly cancelled my reservation. But I wonder what will happen if people have started forwarding that confirmation email :confused:

4. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Hum...Good point. I could forward mine to anyone who wanted it I guess whether they signed up or not. I mean, the majority of the emails do not even have a price listed/phone plan/etc. Not even a name. It is just sent to your .Mac account email and that is it.

Haha. Man this is gonna be crazy!

5. cu2010 macrumors 6502

Another business opportunity, eh? :D

6. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

I don't see how that would be possible since reservation is tied to your Apple ID?

7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Nice. Therefore screwing people who actually do have reservations when they run out of reserved phones far before they should.

Yay for trying to work the system to make a buck and therefore screwing people who are just trying to work within the system.

8. Nocaster macrumors regular

They're talking about people who don't show up in Apple's system as having a reservation.

9. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I am NOT saying I would do this. I would not even consider it as I certainly would not want to risk my reservation or screw others out of their legit ones. Don't worry. :p

10. nicegoogly macrumors regular

nicegoogly

I called Apple yesterday and was told to call the store to confirm my two reservations under separate Apple ID's that go to the same email address. Before I hung up he said you know younger not guaranteed a phone so you should get there before 7:00 AM.". I asked him if he was referring to an unexpected shortage that leads to lack of availability, but he made it sound like there was no intention to hold the phone aside for 24 hours.

I then called the Apple store and was told only one of my reservations were there. I told her I had two emails (which are pointless since the only identifier is the "To:" field of the printed email) but they only have one reservation. I then referred to the portion of the reservation process that states that you need more than one phone, ask when you are picking up your one reservation as there is only one reservation per Apple ID. She said that would be first come first serve. Hopefully tis works out since the reservation that didn't get cancelled gives me a little edge on the line.

11. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I thought it was tied to your apple id as well. I think that the poster is referring to a piece of paper does not mean anything if you are not in their system. However, most of the people who have the e-mail seem to be in the system from what I am reading.

12. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

Obviously I can't be sure, but based on my experience at the last (2) launches, my Apple store wouldn't give a flip about a piece of paper if you're not in the system. They go through the line with a modified iPhone and get your name/apple id and verify you have a reservation. If you weren't in the system, they made you switch lines. I suppose you could refuse, but they WILL have 3rd party security.

13. bobinternet macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation. I have talked to many different people and have received just as many different answers. I'm thinking at this point I'll just wait in the walk-in line. If they run out, then maybe I'll try to use an email print out to show the reservation.

I spent all day getting the reservation, got excited once I received the confirmation email, and then when my reservation didn't show up in the Apple Store app, I got worried and called the store. Needless to say, they have no record of the reservation. Looks like reservation day screwed pretty much everyone... At least I spent all of that day for nothing!

14. absolut` thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm going to pay the Apple store a visit, the night before launch day and explain my situation to a manager.

If no go, I will literally go home, shower, pack some stuff, and come right back to the store around 3-4 AM in the WALK-IN line.

15. cu2010 macrumors 6502

That's a very bad idea! Since your name doesn't show up in the system, it would be too late if you waited until they ran out.

16. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

You are either in the system or not. I went to the store and they will show you your reservation on their in store app on their ipod touches. Now that's not to say managers won't make exceptions for emails but don't count on it.

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Ok I just called my Apple store and explained my situation. (not in the system, have email).

I was told that you MUST have the e-mail or a way to bring up a copy of it (via smartphone or something). If you can do this you'll be able to get a phone.

I guess this policy change was because of so many people who received a confirmation but weren't updated in Apple's system.

Don't start trolling on me, I don't care if you don't think this is legit or not. I was skeptical just like everyone else so I called and this is what I was told as reported here, so I will be showing up on the 23rd. I think the best way to treat this situation is to hop in the reserved line and that way with the e-mail you'd be allowed to stay in the reserved line, wheras if you didn't have a reservation you'd move to the current end of the "non reserved line".

For good measure i'd make sure your email address and time appeared in the email.

18. dmize31287 macrumors regular

I think bringing just a "email printout" is a pretty stupid thing to accept as a reservation. What says people don't alter this and everyone suddenly becomes a reserver of it. I think more steps should be taken to verify. I.E. have you apple ID ready with your email, have them look it up and see if it was ever on the account (canceled or not, they should have record of it being there). I know i'll be pissed if people who didn't reserve pull a BS and say they did, then come to find out they are sold out.

19. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I'm printing out my email. If that doesn't work, I plan to line up at 11pm anyway just in case I get moved to another line.

20. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Agreed.

I can see that they are kind of stuck in a Catch-22 though. Don't do something the people who made a reservation but had it cancelled would rightfully be pissed and I could see wanting to make it right for them. But then that screws the people who didn't have the glitch happen to them. Either way, some one is screwed. I'd say let the people who are already screwed stay screwed. You'll have more happy customers that way (cause you won't appease all who already were screwed anyways).

On top of that, there is no way to verify those who print out emails really had reservations. Letting them just have emails printed out leaves a lot of room for people to scam the system. Sucks for the ones who lost the reservations, but I'd say since you are going to have to piss off some one, go in the favor of being able to verify some one has reservation.

Or even do something like make those who have just a printed email come back later in the day and maybe set aside iphones from the no reserve line and hopefully haev enough for them.

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

In no way shape or form will those with reservations still in the system be screwed. Why would they? apple still will have a phone with their name on it, so at best the ones with only printouts will be able to do is take stock from the walk in stock of phones.

22. sculptor310 macrumors newbie

reservation, but no email

I reserved a phone on launch day but never received an email. Is there a chance that the reservation is still at the store or am I out of luck?

23. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Download apple store app on iPhone or iPad, then visit your retail store. You should see your reservation there. If not, you don't have your name on their system.

24. elephunkman macrumors 65816

That makes sense, those with printouts should deplete general stock, not reserved ones.