For those of you with an ePrint printer and iOS 4.2: Does AirPrint work for you?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by petvas, Nov 16, 2010.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have purchased an HP Photosmart B110 printer. ePrint is active and the printer works great on my Mac Pro. My iPad (running iOS 4.2GMb) cannot see the bonjour printer. I even tried using the USB printer (by sharing it on my Mac Pro), but both my iPad and iPhone do not find the printer.
    Has anybody make it work?
    I am using Mac OS X 10.6.5, iOS 4.2 and an ePrint capable printer. ePrint was activated and I configured it to accept any sender...

2. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

same printer & IOs version here, same problem. Was hoping it might have been switched on by now, but maybe HP have to wait till official release - if it's after then a lot of people will be a bit annoyed - I only got the eprint printer due to this feature!

3. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I got the printer for the same reason. I know abut the AirPrint fix, but the thing is, I don't want to keep worrying that a new Mac OS Update will overwrite the files, thus disabling AirPrint for my shared printers. I also have an HP Laserjet 1022 and AirPrint worked only after applying the fix...
    I prefer having the official AirPrint support..I hope HP brings an update soon.

4. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

There was an update today for my HP Photosmart All-In-One Wireless printer that enabled AirPrint! It works nice :)

5. jdcell100 macrumors regular

E print

I have a new hp printer have had the new 4.1gm installed for about 3 weeks for 2and half weeks always got printer not found then about 5days ago all of a sudden printer got and update never did this before have printer about 3 months I hit ok didn't say what update was next day for the he'll of it I hit print on my iPad waiting to see the usual printer not found and there it was printer found work great

6. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Using punctuation marks would be nice next time :)

7. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

It's ok. It was just a it hard to read your post.

8. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Dont know if this is rolling out everywhere - same printer, ipad now on 4.2.1 but justs checked and 'no updates available' on the printer.

In UK.

:(

9. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Nope, definitely not working for me, no reposnse from HP, and no sign on their site that it's live for all just yet.

Did you have to prompt the update at all or did it just happen?

10. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

My printer was in standby and I resume it. It prompted that there was an update I had to install to continue using Web services. I clicked on ok and it installed the update.

11. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

To me, ePrint is stupid. Why not use just regular TCP/IP printing, which is supported by 99% of networkable printers (port 9100) ???

I have a Color LaserJet, and I'm not buying an inkjet printer just to please AirPrint.

There are other apps that will work with TCP/IP Standard printing, just that it doesn't link to the Print button implemented by AirPrint.

:mad:@:apple:

12. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I guess the reason would be that all other printing protocols would also have the need to install a specific printer driver. Printing over TCP/IP doesn't expose the needed interfaces to make printing agnostic of printer model. I am not sure that this theory is 100% true, so please feel free to say that it isn't correct :)

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

AirPrint will eventually work on all bonjour printers. The only logical reason Apple disabled AirPrinting to any Mac connected printer is some contract with HP over it being exclusive to them for a period of time. If you want it now just install AirPrint Hactivator and it will re-enable it in 10.6.5. It works perfectly.

The only thing I'd like to see them add is support for printers connected to Macs on something lower than 10.6.5 but I know that isn't going to happen. And heck, FingerPrint or Printopia exist to fill that gap anyway.

14. RRKPL macrumors member

I Have a B210 HP and I have been happily printing with Airprint from enabled Apps with the original 4.2GM since it was released. Also using the free HP iPrint App allows scanning from my iPad which is kind of cool.

15. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

True, but I'm mostly inclined for a solution that doesn't require a PC or MAC to print.

I read that PrintCentral may do it.

The reason is that I usually go to different client offices and they have network printers (mostly HP, Xerox or Konica Minolta) that can emulate postscript or PCL.

I just want to connect to their wireless network, find choose a network printer and just print.

Should be a simple task. ePrint is good because AFAIK it allows you to print to your printer even when you are in a remote location. I think it uses an email protocol to maintain connectivity with the printer, even through most firewalls.

But I think it's insane to try to force us to buy a new printer just because Apple made a deal with HP.

16. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Printopia works great, so I would suggest you try that.

17. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Because Apple would need to include about 4 Gig of printer drivers.

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yes it does!!!!! Great program. Well worth the ten bucks!

19. Eilene macrumors member

Eilene

20. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

How come there are several third-party apps that seem to be able to print directly to a wireless printer? Are they very big or do they not actually work?

21. hashholly macrumors 6502

I purchased an HP Photosmart D110A this weekend (the printer shown on Apple for AirPrint), connected it to wifi, let it auto update, and once it updated my iPad with GM 4.2.1 saw it and printed to it without an issue. I do not have it shared through another computer. I think maybe the E-Printers just need an update and they will work fine.

22. hashholly macrumors 6502

Depends on the App, from what i see on the app store, most of those apps need a server running on your computer which basically hands off the print job to your printer, basically what airprint does. I have yet to run into an app that can directly print to a wireless printer that isnt printer specific (IE Canon/HP photo print apps)

23. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I'm using the HP C410a with AirPrint and it works great!