All iPads For those of you with the iPad and the iPad Mini, which do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BounouGod, Jul 12, 2013.

1. BounouGod macrumors newbie

I have the 3rd gen iPad and will be upgrading this year.

Assuming the Mini gets a retina display and the same specs i am debating which of the two i want to get.

Which do you prefer? Which do you use the most and why?

2. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

i Prefer the Mini, (gave my mum my iPad 3)

Its pocket sized, so i get to read books, surf the web or watch netflix on my commute as i see fit without having to either carry an iPad in hand all time, or have a "man bag" in which to store it.

No need for retina on it, the reduced pixel size caused by shrinking the iPad screen to the smaller size and the increased distance its held from my eyes over the iPhone mean its pretty much retina anyway. I think people are too hung up on the "retina" term being the stupidly high pixel density the MBP and iPhone 5 have.

Ultimately for me it comes down to portability, and the mini wins out of the iPad, which i feel is more of a "in home" or "in case" travel device rather than a truly portable , use anywhere device.

3. cfs112 macrumors member

I had the iPad 2 and 3 and ended up returning one and selling the other. I've been a fan of Apple products ever since the iPod and iPhones, so I really wanted to love the iPad, but it just wasn't portable enough. If I wanted to type up something, I had my macbook for that. If I wanted to game, I had my iPhone for that and playing games on iPad with its size and weight was not so functional. I went to Google I/O last year and got a free Nexus 7. Although I wasn't a fan of the interface or OS, the size and weight was perfect! Luckily the iPad mini came a few months later and I sold the Nexus for iPad mini and couldn't be happier. Portability is everything for me, it has the perfect balance of size and weight, movies are great to watch on it, you can read ebooks and magazines for hours with no sore arms, playing games is even easier.

4. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

After using both considerably, i have to agree with Nightarchaons last comment. The Mini works perfectly as a travel companion. It's much easier to use with one hand, more comparable in size and weight to an eink Kindle than a full sized iPad. At a push it can also fit into your jeans pocket, although it looks stupid. Gaming is much easier due to the reduced size and weight. It also doesnt draw anywhere near as much power, so is easier to charge from a regular USB port and doesnt take half as long. I also find i get a few hours more usage over my iPad3.

However......

i found i used my iPad 3 much more at home than the mini. The advantages of the Mini i mention dont matter quite as much when youre lying in bed or sat on the couch. Boring old "DPI" or "Retina" arguments aside, despite being larger and easier on the eyes, the quality of the screens on the iPad3/4 are considerably better than the one on the Mini. Seriously, test them side by side if you get the chance. Anandtech did a very good article on this last year and i advise you check it out. The colour gamut, contrast etc are significantly better. I've also found they dim further if you want to use it in the dark without burning your eyes.

I believe that if you can justify the cost its possible to have a use for both of these, one for use at home, the other for on the road. In the end though i had to give one up and i stuck with the Mini as i take it to the office everyday and also use it for work. I do miss a full sized iPad though, so if the rumours of the iPad 5 are true that it will be considerably lighter and have a smaller "Mini" like bezel but with a 9.7 inch screen ill most likely get one of those and sell the Mini.

5. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, there isn't a simple answer... My first Apple device was an iPod 5g 64GB. I preferred that much more than my Samsung 7" Tab, and carried the iPod everywhere. Then I bought a Mini 64GB. The screen is larger, but it was light and portable. My wife bought an iPad 4 on the same day, and besides setting it up, I didn't look at it for over a week. When I did, I wasn't impressed with its bulk, and handed it back. It wasn't until I began looking at forums that I gave the Ipad 4 another look. Text is much better on the full size iPad, it's bigger and zero pixelation visible. While the Mini displayed much more of a website page than my 7" Samsung, I still found myself zooming in to click on tabs. I went to BB and bought an iPad 4 128GB. :D The Samsung is history, but all three of the Apple devices have a place in my life. The iPod rides in my pocket, and is used for music in car and at home with earphones or Bluetooth. The Mini gets used much the same way, but doesn't fit in my pants pocket the same way. The Mini is great for watching Netflix or videos in bed, but I sometimes do that with my iPod. The iPad 4 is just the perfect laptop companion at home, but not in bed. It's simply to bulky to hold while falling asleep, and even the Mini falls short of the iPod in that department. My wife snores, so I've been using the Mini or iPod with earphones to drown out that nightmare.

Bottom line: I've had to keep all three......

6. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I have a third-generation iPad and an iPad Mini. I can hardly wait for Apple to bring out an iPad Mini with a retina display.

I prefer to use the full-sized iPad at home. I use it for reading e-books and news articles, streaming movies to it from my computer, web-browsing, and occasional games.

The full-sized iPad is too large for me to easily bring to and utilize at work. The iPad Mini is the perfect size for that, as it slips into my working coat pocket with ease.

If I had to choose one, it would be the Mini. It's not just that work trumps home for me (sad to say), but the iPad Mini could do the same things that the full-sized iPad does. It wouldn't be quite as pleasurable, but it could be used for it. The full-sized iPad can't do what the Mini does for me, though.

As is the case with most things, it depends on your usage needs. If I carried a backpack around with me all day, for example, I would be using the iPad and would never have thought about the Mini.

7. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I prefer the bigger screen iPad. If I want a smaller screen, I'll just pick up my iPhone. Plus those screens are Retina.

8. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

I have the iPad Mini and I use it for everything that's non-work related. I love the size, weight, and screen isn't that bad. It would be the perfect tablet if it came with a retina display.

9. Monkt macrumors newbie

Mini. It fits in my pocket and replaced my phone.

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

4 - Retina, size, portability, dimension. Mini for me is a larger iPhone and for my purposes it is fruitless.

11. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

I have had an iPad 1, 2 and 3. Been using the 3 since launch day.

Recently I spent a week with my daughter's iPad Mini (she has been grounded from it for a couple of weeks. Made a mistake...) Anyway, I restored my iPad on it and tried it out.

For me, it is iPad 3/4 right now. The screen is both two small for me and not high enough quality. The screen on the iPad 3 is much easier for typing up notes, reading web pages and forums, doing email, etc. Netflix? either would do but bigger is better.

I love the iPad mini size and weight and if I didn't use it to work on I might prefer it. But even browsing the web there is too much zooming and scrolling around. Twice as much as on the iPad 3. It just wasn't worth the compromise for me.

Now a smaller, lighter 9.7 inch iPad 5 will be FANTASTIC. That is going to be my dream device (I hope).

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

^^^ This.

The Mini goes absolutely everywhere with me. My full size iPad stays home except when traveling long distances, when it functioned as a laptop replacement.

Some friends and family are starting to convert to the Mini from regular iPads as well. It's a nice balance between usability and portability. I loved my iPad 1, don't get me wrong, but I very rarely miss the larger screen so far. And I use the Mini more for text based work than most people seem to--while I'd *like* retina capability, I don't find I actually *need* it. The same pixel density as my old iPad compacted into the smaller screen means I don't have any trouble reading on the Mini.

13. caoimhe macrumors member

caoimhe

I gave up an iPad 3 for the mini. There are a few places where I notice the lack of a retina display but it doesn't outweigh the size / weight advantages for me.

14. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

If I'm going to use a tablet, I want one with a nice, big display. Otherwise, my phone suffices for on the go usage and even quick internet searches at home. That's the conclusion I reached after using both for months.

15. BounouGod thread starter macrumors newbie

This might end up being my decision I think. I have the top of the line 3 with AppleCare so I should be Able to sell it for most of the cost of a 16GB wifi IPad 5 and get the top of the line iPad Mini 2 assuming it has a retina display.

I might also keep this thing and just get the mini, not sure yet. Will have to see how much lighter and smaller the iPad 5 is then the 3

At this point the two Wilcards in my decision are how hard it's going to be to wait for retina mini if the iPad 5 is released before and how much **** my girlfriend would give me for having two of these when does not have one yet lol.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am using my iPad 2 for many things like to watch Netflix and play short games. So no iPad mini for me sorry. :apple:

17. scottw324 macrumors 6502

I have both a ipad 3 and ipad mini. I loved my ipad 3 but wanted to try the smaller form factor of the mini out. I purchased one locally and had 2 weeks to return it if I didn't like it. That was 4 weeks ago.

I have to say that I do miss the retina screen for reading text but otherwise I don't miss the ipad 3. My wife is using the 3 now and I am going to sell her ipad 2 to pay for the mini so we aren't out anything.

I love the size and weight of the mini. Exactly what I wanted. Battery last just as long as my 3 if not longer.

Really, I have no complaints with the mini. To each their own though. Now if the Mini 2 comes with a retina screen I will definitely be upgrading if the price is the same or less (doubtful on less).

18. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Right now, I prefer the mini. When the next iPad comes out with hopefully slimmer side bezels like the iPad mini, then I will probably go with the regular iPad for my future purchase. Personally I don't have both, but when comparing my iPad mini to my parents iPad 2 the mini definitely is preferred in my eyes.

19. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

Well, it seems I am in the minority but having used both as my main driver, I chose the full sized iPad.

I really think it depends on your use case and eyesight. If you have good reading eyesight I think the retina makes a bigger difference. Although the larger text on the full size iPad also probably helps the 40+ year olds.

For me it is use case. I take notes, read, do email and browse the web. Scrolling around and zooming bugs me and is too much work. Larger text is easier to read and I can hold or sit the iPad down further away from my face. For lots of text I can see a big advantage in the larger screen.

But I bet it comes down to this for a lot of people: the full sized screen of the iPad 4 doesn't do you much good if you left it at home.

For me the extra size is worth it. I just love the screen. Again, an iPad 5 that is smaller and lighter will be perfect for me.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Minority/majority doesn't really matter. As with anything else, it's all about using the solution that best suits you. For me, it's the full size iPad because of the larger screen. Try both first hand to sort out matters of preference. You can't just read the opinions of others and rely on them.

21. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have been using the 3rd Gen iPad since launch early last year and a family member has an iPad mini.
    Having used both, I much prefer the mini purely because of the weight. I really hate the weight of the larger iPad. I haven't made up my mind about which screen size I prefer but the larger iPad's are just too heavy.

22. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

Work out a bit and quit watching the tube :D

jk

23. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

For those of you with the iPad and the iPad Mini, which do you prefer and why?

Got my iPad 4 yesterday with full intentions of selling my iPad Mini due to the non retina display. In the end after spending 24 hours comparing both the iPad 4 and Mini side by side, I returned the iPad 4 to my local Apple store today. While I did find that reading on the iPad 4 was an absolute pleasure due to it's retina display, I was simply unable to get past it's weight and larger size over my Mini. After holding it for just a short period of time, I realized the 4 wasn't something that I saw myself using long term like I currently do with my Mini.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

24. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 5 and a Mac air 11"

One day my cat unplugged my laptop at night while it was updating so the battery was totally dead. Next morning in court I went to turn it on and it's dead. I had sentencing notes on my dropbox account that I needed for that hearing, and lucky for me I do use the cloud, so I pulled my phone out and opened the document on documents to go, and was able to use my notes read off the iPhone.

I thought the iPhone screen was a tad too small for court use, cause I had to hold it closer to my face and I couldn't glance down as quick at my notes to guide my oral argument.

That's when I decided to consider an ipad.

I borrowed my dads ipad 3 for a few weeks and found its size was too big and too close to my Mac air, so it wasn't the device I needed to sit between the iPhone and the air in size.

So I bought the mini 64, and its size is perfect. I only use my air now if I have to type or do serious document formatting and editing. I use the mini for the rest of work and recreation.

I think that the pixel density of the mini is far better than people give it credit because it doesn't have the marketing word of retina applied to it. Do some reading and you'll see that the different retina models from apple don't all have the same pixel density, so one retina is not equal to another retina.

I find that the pixel density of the mini (160-something pixels per inch) is actually quite dense and text is easy to read even when small. The size and weight of it are its winning points. To me, it's a great middle device between the iPhone and the Mac air.

Best of luck to you deciding. In my case, smaller is better, and if you're wanting a larger screen maybe the bigger one is better for you or maybe just do a MacBook. If you want a portable secondary device, the mini wins there.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

While the retinas may vary a little, I find them all superior to the Mini.

Back on track, I like the size of my Mini, but I miss the screen size and res of the larger iPad.