For those of you with the rattle, wiggly home button, yellow screens

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Oct 26, 2011.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Today my good friend who is a genius at the apple store in Sacramento was working today.

Anyways, every single iPhone 4S on display had the camera rattle. Some were very loud, some were quieter than others but every phone had it like mine. My friend said its normal.

Next, every iphone 4S had the wiggly home button. Now some were very wiggly like mine, others were just a little. Didn't find one that didn't wiggle.

Lastly, every single iPhone 4S had a different tint. None were the same. I saw very blue, white, yellow and even a green tint which is new.

Anyways me and my friend were comparing them all. Didn't take more than 10 minutes all together. I would say the most solid phone I saw was a C38 16GB at&t model.

Hope this helps some people.

2. ama0219 macrumors member

My phone has the rattle when I set it down. I've kind of gotten used to it.

The home button doesn't really wiggle at all. I wouldn't have even noticed the tiny amount I got it to without reading this thread.

The yellow screen thing blows my mind. My screen looks normal to me. Maybe if I compared it to another phone I would notice the difference.

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

The rattle is not new to the 4s. My iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 3Gs had it as well.

The home button on my 4s doesn't wiggle though. :confused:

4. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah you got a good one. I only compared the 10 displays and mine. So that's only 11 phones. I'm sure a lot do not wiggle. My old 4 didn't but my launch day did pretty badly.

Im fairly confident every 4s rattles. My friend said its the camera. You should hear by setting it down. Of the 11 phones I tested I find 1 iPhone 4S that didn't rattle as loud as the others.

5. ijohnbro macrumors regular

6. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

My home button doesn't wiggle either.

Thank God. My OCD is bad enough as is.

7. ewils19 macrumors 6502

I've got the rattle but I'm getting used to it.
    My home button doesn't wiggle though, fortunately.

8. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

My friend called me and told me that every iPhone has the rattle.

The reason it is more noticeable is because there are more lens or something in the camera.

So anyways I have 3GS, a 4 and 4S right now. All of them rattle but the 4S is def. the loudest. Probably because the camera is 8 MP and has more lens and stuff.

This is normal. It shouldn't be though since this is a 800$ + phone. Oh well.

9. BAZ1307, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

BAZ1307 macrumors member

I have the 'rattle', as does everyone...

But my screen seems to be the odd one out. Mine is very cool-tinted, unless it gets very hot, then it sort of changes a little bit of a more 'normal' tint.

I don't understand the concern about the wiggling home button either... my old iPod Touch had a slightly crooked home button (and I do mean slightly), which did annoy me at first, but it didn't really hinder my experience at all, and I learnt to get used to it...

10. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

My phone has no rattle or wiggly home button. It's rock solid.
    (so is my wife's)

Now, the battery OTOH... (however that's software)

To say they all do this is strange. My buddy's doesn't either. I've only held 3 iPhone 4S's, but none of them had either issue.

11. slr001 macrumors member

Mine doesn't

12. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

The rattle you hear is......

The camera's focusing lens assembly. My 3Gs did it, my iPhone 4 does it, the same for the 4s. It's normal, it's the loose focus travel in the "lens barrel" (I know there is not a barrel like in a zoom lens), but you get my point. It is normal, don't worry about it. As long as it does not rattle when you shake it in your hand. Setting it on the table is the only time I hear it.

T

13. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

i don't have any of these issues at all so i think they are defects.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The rattle may in fact be "normal", but I'd be willing to bet Jony Ive isn't happy about it at all, and will rectify it for the next batch.

15. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Then your camera is broken.

Its the camera lens, it has to rattle I guess. Some are loud rattles some aren't. Lightly tap under the camera and you will hear it. Tap with your finger, not your fingernail.

Some rattles are loud (like mine- which sucks) and some are not as loud. None were quiet though. At least at the store.

But every iPhone 4S is different..just like the screen tint. I can't believe I saw a green tint.

16. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Mind does not have any of these issues, except the rattle.

17. d0ster macrumors regular

I thought the rattle was from the sleep button? When i tap it, it rattles.

18. slr001 macrumors member

Wow, my camera is BROKEN? I did not know that? I guess I was fooled by the fact that it takes perfect pictures. I'll take it back in and ask for one that rattles.

Thanks man