For those of you worried about Bing on iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by jo0, Feb 14, 2010.

1. jo0 macrumors regular

Rest assured, bing knows more than you might think... http://whatbingknows.com
    hahah. On a more serious note, how many of you actually use bing and are pleased with it?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't bother with it but clearly you're quite the fan.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I don't need a "decision engine." I have one of those between my ears. :rolleyes:

I need a search engine to provide sufficient data to base my decision on.

Bing. Meh.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I couldn't agree more however many Internet users lack a decision engine.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Bing may know the secret to Google's dated algorithm. However, that does not mean that Bing's new modern algorithm is better.

My test of a search engine is to search for myself. When I Google myself, I get quite a few hits on a football player who shares my name. I also get hits on other irrelevant things. What is important to me is that I get numerous links to me and the things that I have done. The Decision Engine between my ears is usually able to distinguish between the stuff I am looking for and the stuff that I am not.

When I Bing myself, I get fewer hits. It get less filler, to be sure. However, I also get fewer relevant hits. From where I sit, Bing is the answer to a question that I did not ask.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Google may have a dated algorithm but works. I found Bings result set subpar. To Googles

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I don't mind if they go with Bing as long as there's still an option to change the default search back to Google.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The top 25% of all search engine requests are paid advertising so if you want to go shopping. Search away.

I personally find search engines highly over-rated.

9. Silvereel macrumors 6502

My guess is that most people just have a bias against Microsoft, but I find Bing to be decent enough, and it looks better than Google, not that that matters.
    Then again, I'm biased against Google :rolleyes:

10. jo0 thread starter macrumors regular

how do you find things you need without a search engine? just curious if im missing out on some new way to find info without succumbing to the ad markets that fund the internet.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Search engine requests or search engine results?

12. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Heh - Personally Id use Google over Bing under any circumstance, just because Bing gives me results that are nowhere near as good as Googles in most instances.

13. jo0 thread starter macrumors regular

i hear people saying that they get better results with one over the other, but what are some actual examples of these better results? i use google predominantly, but when i have used bing i havent noticed all that much of a change with regards to relevancy. anyone have specific examples of difference?

14. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I like that Google now has actual competition. Yahoo sure wasn’t competing in any sort of meaningful way.

Bing is OK. I like its cool picture-of-the-day wallpaper and its image search. However, the results are not as good as Google.

I expect Bing will be added to the iPhone’s choice of search engines simply because it is now the second most used search engine in North America. However, I seriously doubt it will become the default anytime soon.