For Those That Leave Their MacBook Pro on a Desk Most of the Time, Why Not an iMac or Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MICHAELSD, Nov 15, 2016.

1. MICHAELSD, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

While many owners do still have a lot of use for the MacBook Pro even in an age where the iPhone is capable of a lot of its core functionality on-the-go, I am curious what keeps those that leave their MacBook Pro on a desk or otherwise don't transport it out-of-the-house coming back to the powerhouse laptop.

I am firmly in that camp, and will do what I can to avoid having to transport my MacBook Pro outside of the house for a number of reasons. But the biggest reason of all, and this applied to the iPad as well, is that I can keep my iPhone on me at all times so I know it's secure and that type of peace-of-mind just can't apply to a device that isn't pocketable.

Nonetheless, I do find myself swooning over the new MacBook Pro even though I'd be better off with an iMac. It's unfortunate that Apple hadn't refreshed it at their October event because I may have already made the transition. I think the main reason many buy a MacBook Pro even if they don't need the portability is that it's Apple's flagship Mac. It's the face of the Mac with its iconic design, receiving all of the newest technologies and features first, integrated into one portable machine. Even if a certain subset of users don't take advantage of its portability, or battery life for the most part, it's still an attractive proposition.

I think I could be happier with an iMac or Mac Pro setup, yet the new MacBook Pro has my attention even though I don't need the portability. So, why do you stick with a MacBook Pro?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Well, the reasons against the Mac Pro are self evident, given its current state.

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Let's pretend it was just refreshed as well, why not a Mac Pro instead? Regardless, the current Mac Pro still provides almost double the performance of the MBP.

4. hussainh1 macrumors regular

For me, it's about portability and being able to work at a desk or remotely. With a Mac Pro, which I have considered and perhaps would've even plunked down the cash for if Apple had upgraded it recently, I still have to have a laptop to run software that iOS on iPad can't run.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I grappled with this about 4 years ago. Ended up getting a base 11" Air and a mid-spec iMac. It was that or a 15" Pro or a higher-spec iMac. Very happy with my choice and would do it again. Have the portability of a full computer when my iPad or iPhone won't cut it, but the processing power of a desktop when I need it. I will probably pick up a 2015rMBP for my next laptop and wait for the iMac refresh before I get a new iMac.

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I think the more modern version of that scenario would be an iPad Pro and an iMac, or a 2016 rMBP with an external display.

7. oebalus macrumors newbie

well, i would like to use my laptop in bed too !

8. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You don't find an iPad or iPhone more comfortable to use in bed?

9. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Mine stays docked 90% of the time, but as others said when i have to travel or go to client meetings it is great i can just unplug and go.

10. oebalus macrumors newbie

nope, i dont think an ipad or an iphone can fully replace the flexibility and control a laptop provides. and supplement to this, you gain an additional choice to bring your laptop around the house.

11. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

That's cool that an iPhone covers your needs. As for me, I need something with a wee-bit more performance. ;)

12. killawat macrumors 65816

Annnnd you lost me there.

but seriously, let me know when Apple ships a desktop with TB3. I won't hold my breath.

13. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Updated the OP. ;)

14. SurfaceBookUser macrumors member

When I do travel (although rare) I need my computer with me for work. Also for the occasional time I do want to work at a Cafe or bring my computer to a meeting, I can. Hell, even just moving to my kitchen table or sofa for a change of scenery.

I get very attached to my computer. It's a personal thing and everything from the position of my files in their folders to the sites stored in my history needs to be in place each time I sit down in front of it. Trying to keep everything in sync between 2 computers is way too much effort so I'd rather just have a notebook and leave it at that. As a Software Engineer maintaining 2 different environments with tools and such is even more of a headache and obviously can't be done on an iOS device. With that said, I also don't really need any more performance than the MacBook pro offers so I'm happy!

15. jacklawry macrumors newbie

I used to have both an iMac and MacBook Pro but found I was always without a file etc from the other device.

Swapped to using the MacBook Pro and an external large screen now I can just unplug and go knowing everything I was using is there exactly as I left it (I also use a Nas server for files so have the ability to access them remotely)

16. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

My new 2016 15" MBP will be replacing my old MBP *and* my iMac I currently have. Tired of having two and never use both at the same time, and realize I left something on the iMac when I take the MBP out of the house... and don't have access to internet to grab it. (or do but a LARGE file is a pain to just grab)

As for the iPad in bed... if i'm just surfing or watching a video sure, but I can't edit files on my iPad. The iPad is great, but it still can't replace my MBP full time.

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I just like the ability to be able to have a computer to use if there is a power outage at my house PLUS the ability to use my MBP anywhere in my house.

It never leaved my house because I don't travel or have a need to bring it to work with me.

18. MarcBou macrumors regular

Well I actually don't get why someone who keeps his machine allways at home would get a laptop, it's way more expensive and with worse performance.

I got a MBP instead a PC or iMac or Mac Pro because I need a powerful machine for video editing but also portability to do this anywere, since I don't have an office or anything, I'm changing my working place all the time (home, shooting set, girlfriend's home, travelling, etc.)

19. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I think the answer is in your subject matter "Most of the Time". Anyone that has even am occasional requirement to take their computer with them cannot use the machines you suggested.

20. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

If I didn't have an iPad Pro, then I would consider a 12" MacBook (or maybe 13" Pro w/o touch bar) and a Retina 5K iMac. I think having an iPad Pro and a 15" Pro with external display works better for me, having two Macs would feel redundant in some ways, and I would miss the Pencil.

21. Seed101 macrumors 6502

Seed101

Freelance video/animation work to and from clients.

I did see a guy bring in an iMac in a wheeled travel bag once mind...

22. Macalway macrumors 68020

You said 'most of the time'. A desktop is 'all of the time'

23. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

MacBook Pro + External Display seems like the perfect configuration to me

24. neteng101 macrumors 65816

The iPad Pro is simply NOT a replacement for a Mac and never will be as long as its stuck with iOS. 12" rMB and an iMac would work though as a possible combo.

25. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I don't care about performance. It does everything I need perfectly. My MBP is used mostly for internet and occasionally converting a downloaded movie using iFlicks to be able to use on my Apple TV2.

I have an Mac Mini as my desktop if I ever use it for that which I don't because I have no need for a desktop. My Mac Mini simply sits there being used as an iTunes server.

Back in 2008, I once owned an iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, and a Mac Book. A year later, I sold everything and bought a 2009 MacBook Pro. I realized I never needed the desktops because I couldn't move them anywhere I wanted to.

Also, people on here have asked me why did I get the the 15" with the dGPU if I never use the dGPU. Well because it was the one readily available that had the 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM.

Any more questions?