All iPads For those that only use their Ipad at home, do you use a case/cover for it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ab2c4, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ab2c4 macrumors member

When my wife and I got the Ipad 1 we bought the Apple case for it, same for when we got an Ipad 3. They definitely kept the tablets in "like new" condition, free of scratches, but definitely added some weight to them.

I realize that people who take their Ipads to work/school/travel probably use a case or cover, but what about all the people that never take their Ipads out of their house? My wife and I have never dropped either of the Ipads, but how easily do they scratch up if they are not in a case?

We want a new upcoming Ipad, not sure if it will be the Mini 2 or the Ipad 5 for the sake of a lighter, easier to hold Ipad, I just wonder if putting a case on either will significantly weigh them down, and if we don't buy a case for it will it look like it went through a battle if they scratch easy.

2. bobright macrumors 601

I always use a case even around the house, but we toss it around everywhere kitchen when cooking etc

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

4. big samm macrumors 65816

Nope no case just the smart cover, and i do carry it with me from time to time since its a lte model, plus i have apple care on it

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You really don't need one. The back is very scratch resistant.

6. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Mostly I have the iPad naked, though I do have a Zagg Leatherskin on the back for better grip (and it protects the back from scratches).

7. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

No case, just a cheap TPU cover over the back because I find it easier to grip than when it's totally bare. I have an iPad case for those rare occasions when it leaves the house, but just like my shoes...I can't wait to get home to pull them off. :)

8. tassyk macrumors newbie

Go nude

If it's for home use, I would encourage you to use it in all the coverless glory the designer intended. How scratched up can it get in the comfort of your home? And even if it does scratch up a bit, it won't be long before it's upgrade time and you can treat yourself to nice new one.

9. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

I keep it naked. On the rare occasion when it does leave the home, I'll put the Smart Cover on it. It feels better in my hands without a case and I get to enjoy its aesthetics. If I had small children however, I would be inclined to protect it with a case.

10. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

only a smart cover, has few scratches on the back

11. Robster3 macrumors 68000

12. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

A grey Smartcase. Mainly to keep the back from scratching.

13. richardmu macrumors 6502a

A cheap TPU cover for the back of my 2 inside and outside the house. Makes it easier to hold than just the rather slippery metal back.

I tried the Apple smart cover and then the case but didn't find I used either very much so got rid of them,

14. SMDBill macrumors 6502

I keep mine in a case at all times. With 4 dogs and 4 kids, I would have a scratched screen in no time without it. I've had it knocked off a table, knocked off a couch, etc. The case has saved the mini more than once.

15. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Use rooCase for around the house just try to keep in mint condition because I always upgrade once a year and sell old one.

16. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

My iPad 1 is used at home 90 percent of the time. I put a screen protector on it the day I bought it, and I'm about to replace it with the spare that came in the two pack.

My wife bought me a case a few months later, and I use that mainly because it can double as a stand when I've got it in my lap. In other words, I use the case for positioning rather than protecting.

17. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

It depends. Do you have kids?
    My iPad 2 was for home use and I only had a Smart Cover on it. Then the kids got it and put a nasty scratch on it.

Kids=Case+screen protector
    No Kids/no case

18. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I use a smart cover, and I even bring it with me now and then.

19. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    CLAM-CASE Pro/folio, (excellent keyboard BTW), lots of weight, use it on a stand on the end table next to the couch. for 95% of my computing needs.
    kind of like a MBA with a touch screen, and I;) am LOVING it!:cool:

20. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

iPad protection is low on my list of reasons for having a folio case.

#1: Naked iPad is too slippery, especially if I'm holding with one hand (it's a mini).
    #2: Using as a stand -- very important that it's always there.
    #3: Protection, but not so much to keep it pristine; more to allow me to handle it more roughly than would be wise.

21. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Just a Great Shield backing cover. It looks cool, thats the only reason I use it.

22. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Tile flooring throughout my entire home...yes, a case for my Mini.

(drops can happen any time).

23. wiredup72 macrumors regular

wiredup72

24. Corey Gibson macrumors newbie

Spilt a glass of water the other day. The case helped protect it. Granted we're not talking of floods of biblical proportions here, but I just like my things new and clean.... and dry....always dry.

25. ab2c4 thread starter macrumors member

We have a son who is almost 7 years old. He is actually great with the Ipads and smartphones when we let him play with them, he is extremely careful with them. We also have a cat, no other pets though.

I appreciate all the responses from everybody.