For those that think Apple didn't do a good job of meeting demand

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
From people who know business and know what Apple accomplished....

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE88L05Z20120922?irpc=932

"We are positively surprised regarding the pace of the rollout, since we had expected a bigger impact from component constraints," Barclays analyst Ben Reitzes said.

By next Friday, the iPhone 5 will be in 31 countries, and will be in 100 by the end of the calendar year. That would be 30 more than the rollout of the predecessor phone, the 4S, over a similar period, Jeffries analyst Peter Misek calculated.

That means Apple has worked out supply constraints and inked deals now with 240 carriers. It will get enough phones out the door in the next 10 days to have a material effect on earnings.

Last edited:

shiftless

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
All that sounds nice. I guess.

Except the orders I placed 47 min into the pre-order process were not delivered on Friday the 21st.

Which effectively makes my pre-orders a post order.:(

Like the Seinfeld Rental Car Episode
Jerry: I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?
Rental Car Agent: We have your reservation, we just ran out of cars.
Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.
Rental Car Agent: I think I know why we have reservations.
Jerry: I don't think you do. You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
All that sounds nice. I guess.

Except the orders I placed 47 min into the pre-order process were not delivered on Friday the 21st.

Which effectively makes my pre-orders a post order.:(
They allocated a limited number to pre-orders, probably because they knew how much stock they wanted in stores and in the other countries. They were upfront with shipping estimates, so you did have the option of canceling your order and rolling the dice with the in store sales. Lines are generally shorter this year than last, so there does appear to be more stock available and more frequent shipments.

That said, yes it does appear that demand for pre-orders was higher than what Apple expected. On the whole, though, if they sell twice as many as they did last year (which is the current expectation), that would be an incredible feat. We'll find out on Monday when Apple issues a press release.

Last edited: