For those that use their 3G exclusively, is 2GB sufficent? Update: Connectify.me!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iSingandiDance, Oct 28, 2010.

1. iSingandiDance, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I'm going to be streaming video, using facebook, downloading apps, you name it.

Will 2GB suffice?

ETA: Just found out connectify.me turns a Win 7 PC into a wifi hotspot. Wish I would have known this before wasting that 2GB of data in about a week.

2. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

No.

3. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

The rough stats I've found googling seem to say that a two-hour movie streamed via Netflix can eat the 250mb in a snap. So a couple of movies and some Pandora streaming, and heavy internet usage across 3G and you'll be out of your 2G pretty quickly.

4. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Well that sucks.

I wish there was a way that I could get the unlimited plan. :rolleyes:

5. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

AT&T really dropped the ball by eliminating the unlimited data plan. I still have mine only because I was an early adopter.

6. obamtl macrumors regular

It is unlikely ANY limited amount of download will be enough if you're streaming video. I have 1 gig and use 3G almost exclusively, but all my videos are synced from my main computer. I've never come close to using up my download limit.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No way... 2GB is not enough to cover anything.
    You might be able to get away with few hours of video, web-surfing and email. But, 2GB isn't for heavy users. My advice is try to use your phone to do wireless tethering on iPad.

8. kenmarable macrumors member

It really depends on your usage. I "stream video" as well, but even with most of it over 3G, I have barely used 1GB in a month. I primarily use Netflix and the ABC Player and have found an hour long show over 3G to be about 100MB. So, that's roughly 20 hours of video or close to an entire season of an hour-long TV series. Usage will of course vary, but I don't watch nearly that much in a month apparently.

Aside from a rare few apps, every one I have downloaded has been relatively tiny - 15MB or less.

Compared to video, most email and web traffic is also pretty minor in my experience at least. I do most of my web surfing over 3G, and it may offset an episode or two at most.

I haven't tied audio streaming yet (decent sized iTunes collection instead). I could see that adding up mainly because it's easy to have it go for hours upon hours. But I don't know how much data it would chew through in an hour.

*shrug*

So, personally, I was worried about my limits, but have found them to not be an issue at all. However, I'm not 100% 3G, but the majority of my heavy usage is 3G. The only real limits I have found are speed issues. Trying to watch videos at free public wifi locations or in a couple areas of low 3G coverage (for me, typically inside large buildings) can lead to an annoying amount of buffering.

9. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

^Great post.

I called AT&T and they said I could add another gig of data for $10 if I somehow surpass the 2GB.

That's somewhat reassuring. :)

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Almost 8Gb this month, thankfully not with AT&T :p even for casual use 2Gb is pushing it.

BTW no micro sim's here, DIY pair of scissors and a steady hand is all that is needed ;)

Q-6

11. johndoe588 macrumors regular

If I only used my iPad in my office 2 gig would be plenty, with EDGE being the only thing available there. It might actually take a month to download that much! I've had much faster dialup.

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It is so not...
    If you do 8-10 GB of usage, then you are looking at almost 80 dollars or more for Data. If you really want to be heavy user, go get yourself a portable wi-fi router. Some of them come with unlimited Data for like 40-50 dollars a month.

13. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Does verizon have one of those?

14. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Funny you mention this...

I was at Best Buy today ready to purchase my 3G when I brought up my dilemma to the sales rep and he suggested I get the virgin mobile mifi wireless hotspot. $150 to purchase the device + $40/a month unlimited data (no contract); Sprint has their own mifi but there's a contract and a data cap. That's a little more than a 16GB 3G iPad + tax.

This is great since I don't have any unsecured hotspots at my house and since I own a netbook, I'll be able to use mifi with that as well.

*The price of the device may vary.

15. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

WAIT.....WAIT....Before you jump on an option like this, checkout a Clearwire Clearspot device. If you are in 4G area, this option is easily the best at the best price plus you'll have 4G speeds. No contacts. GREAT prices. AND 4G.

16. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

My area doesn't have 4G yet (at least another 3 years).

Thanks though. :)

17. Meever macrumors 6502a

Take videos out of the equation and 2gb is more than enough.

I use 3g constantly when I'm on the go. I use it to check emails, browse the web, etc, etc. I get by with my 250mb plan 9 out of 10 times.

But again, if you stream videos that's when your iPad starts eating data exponentially.

18. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

They lied to you. That is an option on the iPhone, but not on the iPad data plan. When you run out, you run out. Yo can wait for your month to restart, or buy another 2gb plan and start the 30 days again. It's spelled out on the iPad portion of the AT&T website.

I've been using 3G exclusively for 2 weeks and my usage is still showing 214 mb. It's stuck or broke, who knows, but that isn't my real number!

You can probably make the 2gb work, but it will be work.

19. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance