For those that went from an aluminum to a stainless steel, how do you feel about it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Ghost31, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

I’ve only had aluminum since the Apple Watch first came out but this time I ordered the SS just to try something different. Curious how those of you that went from aluminum to stainless steel feel about it and the differences between the two.

I tried one on in an apple store yesterday expecting it to be super heavy because of what I read but was surprised to see it was really light. Excited to get mine next week

2. Relentless Power, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Personally can’t stand the aluminum Apple Watch, I don’t care for the durability with the Ion – X Glass and it’s far too light, and it feels almost like a toy to me. But that’s just my personal take. I opted for the stainless, the aesthetics, the weight, the Sapphire display, all make a _huge_ difference how the watch appears on the wrist and feels. There is a significant weight difference, but you would just rather quickly.

Are you sure about this? (Being You ordered a Series 4 stainless that you will have next week? )Many have ordered, including myself, the stainless model which are completely back ordered until the end of October and into November. Naturally curious how they will have a stainless model confirmed and delivered to you by next week given the heavy constraint?

3. ryankidd17 macrumors regular

So I've had the S0 and S3 aluminum. This year I preordered both the aluminum and SBSS. Got them both on launch day and opted to only open the SBSS. I love it. The weight is nice. The sapphire display looks much better than the ION-X (it does wash out the display a little, of course, but not too much). The durability is a big concern for me. I have had multiple scratches on my ion-x from work, so I expect a better experience this time around. Also love the aesthetics. The screen just seems to float with the all black design.
    I've returned the alum without even opening. Just fell in love with the SBSS.

4. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

I bought the series 0 in aluminum because I wasn’t sure I was going use the watch much. I don’t think any of us knew how good or how bad it was going to be as a device. Now that I love the thing, I’ll buy the real version going forward every time.

5. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I bought SS this time. I had 2 series 0 watches. One was release watch (well... the following week) and another was not too long before the next upgrade came out (the pretty pink one.) I'm too OCD to wear a connector that didn't match, so I only ever had the sport bands or nylon bands. I could never find decent rose gold or aluminum connectors, so I stopped looking).

Now I can buy an infinite number of bands and have a SS connector!

The SS is heavier than the series 0 aluminum. noticeably heavier when holding the two, but not heavier/bothersome to wear. The stainless is just gorgeous!