For those upgrading iPhone 5 to 5S, how are you going about it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blerns3, Aug 29, 2013.

1. blerns3 macrumors 6502

I'm on the fence about this, whether or not to upgrade.

Obviously for most people the issue is financial because otherwise, who wouldn't want the new iPhone every year?

If I did it I wouldn't want to pay the early upgrade charge and extend my contract, I'd be paying the full $650 price.

So how are all of you going about selling your current devices to lower the price hit on the 5S? I locked in an offer with Gazelle for my 5, knowing there are other options that I could get more money, but just in case since it's all but guaranteed unlike eBay, craigslist, etc.

I also have a 4 with an unresponsive home button (but great condition besides that). What's a good price for that on eBay?

I do want a 5S but I want to see, barring final specs of course, if it's worth upgrading now or just waiting for subsidized pricing for the 6 which will undoubtedly be a larger upgrade specs wise.

Just getting people's thoughts on here, thanks!

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I'm on a T-mobile Uncarrier plan so I just paid the balance off for the phone and am now waiting for the release of the 5S.

3. blerns3 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is probably the only reason I wish I had an uncarrier plan haha

4. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I have an offer from a friend for $350, but I secured a price on Gazelle too just incase he ops out of the offer.

Thought about selling on eBay, but I hear a lot about those scammers and stuff.

5. blerns3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, that's my main concern. Especially gazelle is "guaranteed" as long as your device checks out.

6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Once the 5S comes out, I'll call AT&T and ask for a subsidized upgrade. I'll go to an AT&T store, pick up a 32GB iPhone 5S for $299 and then sell my old iPhone 5 on eBay and get back what I paid for the new phone.

7. rh1 macrumors member

UK based here with SIM FREE model, so potential looking to sell my iPhone 5 32 this week, downgrade to previously owned iPhone 4 16GB (already shrunk down backup).

Wait until launch and pre-order new iPhone, SIM FREE again.

It's extremely costly (£200 upgrade cost) but it would be a relief if Apple decide to double-up the storage capabilities of all premium iPhone models but yet keep them at the same price. Then it would be about £129 which doesn't sound too bad.

8. rockitdog Suspended

I'm going to pay the balance off my T-Mobile phone this weekend and I'll be all set for the 5S too! Love the UnCarrier plan. I'll also sign up for their JUMP program too at that time.

----------

Not the unlimited data too? :D

9. blerns3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Eh, I'm on a plan where I have 10 gb and only myself and another person use a lot, whereas the rest use very little. I don't use more than 3 a month and we literally use up about 98% of the plan every month. It's perfect haha

10. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

Unlock phone
    Sell it
    Buy new one

I do this every year.

11. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

You're just gonna call and ask for a subsidized price? How does this work? Have you done this? Any pointers, tips, or requirements?

12. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

I would like to know as well because I thought AT&T did away with early upgrades. They now require 2 years fulfilled before giving any discount.

13. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

Well im at a loss for what to do!
    Im definitely going for the highest capacity they have, so ill be pre-ordering at midnight, but i guess when you pre-order you have to pay full price? is that right? Im with att and would rather do the early upgrade at +$250 or what not over the subdisized price. or does att do there own pre-order? anyways as soon as i get my 5s, i shall sell my 64gb 5 on craigslist!

14. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Yes. I've done it the past two years; it's how I got my iPhone 4S and current iPhone 5. No pointers or tips. Just ask. No requirements either.

15. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

16. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

here is how I am going about it

I'm gonna take my SIM card outta the old one, and put it in the new one!! :D

17. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I used another number's upgrade on my family plan to get the 5, so I actually have an upgrade for my number now.

18. Middiebear macrumors member

Their upgrade policies have changed dramatically over the past couple of years. (Although iPhone upgrade have always been strict)

There's no way they're going to allow anyone to upgrade early.

Fortunately they have the NEXT program to sell customers now.

But if that doesn't interest you... Then no point in wasting your nor the CSR's time with something that's not even possibly going to happen.

19. SpoekGTi macrumors regular

I'm not really a 5 to 5S upgrader but a 4 to 5S (yes heck of a difference i will notice)

I'm donating my 4 to my parents (g/friends goes to my mums and mine goes to my dad) and i'm just buying 2 new 5s's 32GB off-contract. My contract expires on the 4th of december and i'm getting a sim-only subscription to cut down in monthly costs.

I pay now for a 1GB plan and 200 mins/txts around 35 euro each and i'm going to a sim only with 200MB (more than enough) and 200mins/txts for 11 euro each.

When will i get the phones. Probably on launchday in Amsterdam, gonna make a day out of it, going to the zoo also i think. I dont expect the iPhones to sell as hotcakes here in holland, we are much to mellow for those things.

20. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I'll bet you I can get a subsidized upgrade. I heard the same thing last year and low and behold, I still got a new phone.

21. L T macrumors 6502

L T

I got my iPhone 5 on a 24 month plan on release day so of course I'm just coming up to a year and can't upgrade.

However, both my parents are due for an upgrade so I'm going to see which of them want an iPhone. I will upgrade them to the iPhone 5S, I'll have the 5S and stick my sim in it and then they will have my 5 and stick their new iPhone sim in it. Simple, unless apple finds a smaller sim card to release!

22. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Im waiting a few months...Make sure there arent any hiccups with all the first production builds. I just bought an iPhone 5 on ebay to keep my upgrade intact so that I can upgrade my 4s and wait out the 5s to see how well it performs.

23. blerns3, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

blerns3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Next can only be used if you have an upgrade available though, right? By that I mean, you can only begin the program if you have an upgrade now.

24. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Because it's going to be better.

You can keep your 5 if you're happy with it.

25. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

depends if they release a 128gb one