For those who are upset they can't buy in store today

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dexterbell, Apr 10, 2015.

1. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Did you guys read this? Its clear Apple has had it with the people who line up only to buy a bunch of their products and ship them to China or put them online to make a profit while their real customers get left out in the cold many times. They are probably also tired of having to deal with huge lines and large crowds and its working. The news is showing local LA stores that would have normally had huge lines today for the Watch, no lines at all. I wonder how this will effect the iPhone going forward.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/apple/apple-watch-macbook-online/

A statement from Apple’s senior vice president of Retail and Online Stores Angela Ahrendts has taken that sentiment even further, and has added the new 12-inch Macbook for good measure. Ahrendts sent Apple Store staff a memo, titled “Get in line online,” which reads: “The days of waiting in line and crossing fingers for a product are over for our customers. The Apple Store app and our online store make it much easier to purchase Apple Watch and the new MacBook. Customers will know exactly when and where their product arrives”

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Except this is a far worse scenario than just not being able to buy it in stores today. Apple is still ramping up production.

3. danielwerner macrumors regular

danielwerner

Yeah, I really don't understand people who whine about having to wait 3-4 days when ordering online. Try living in Europe and wait over a month.

4. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Yes, I did read this and guess what, I don't know exactly when and where my laptop will arrive... I'm not "so excited".

5. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I can see it for Apple Watch but not the laptop. I expect we will see some in stores tomorrow. This sounds likes its much more for Apple's convenience than their customers. I do a lot of store pickup and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to do it with the MacBook. I did look at them today, very nice. I liked the keyboard right away despite reviews saying it takes some getting used to. My loaded 15" MBP seems huge now of course.

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Or god forbid, one of the other countries in the world where it's not offered yet :eek:

It could always be worse

7. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I can't believe how much people are upset.

I ordered and I will wait as expected.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Apple is covering their own ass with that statement. We don't have ANY stock available in the stores, so let's push our customers to order online where it's backordered, but hey at least they'll know when they will be getting it.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

People are generally upset when they're lied to and expectations aren't met. Seems like a normal human reaction.

10. Queen6, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I would get it if Apple had advised online orders first, I would get it if shipping dates were a consistent 1-3 days for stock models.

Reality is far from this; no display models, no retail stock, stretching shipping dates globally, no preorder advisement. It is what it is a poorly orchestrated launch of a new product, not some new paradigm in retail sales from Apple.

Thinking of it logically individuals in Apple are paid literally millions to ensure these type of things don't happen, it has and it`s a cluster with customers being left confused and disappointed.

If that`s the sentiments of Apple retail, no need for physical stores as "The Apple Store app and our online store make it much easier to purchase Apple Watch and the new MacBook. Customers will know exactly when and where their product arrives"

It`s rubbish like this that just turns me off Apple at times, Defend Apple if you wish to me it`s just a mess...

Q-6

----------

Try living in China, it`s the same long wait, knowing my luck it will be produced in the same city we live...

Q-6

11. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

well, 3-4 days for a mac is a long time for who lives in US, and yes, it is worth complaining and whining.
    Based on your logic, you can't whine about it neither, since people who lives in some africa or south america won't even have access to the latest hardware.

----------

it doesn't mean that you can't sell it in stores, for those who just want to have in as soon as possible, store purchasing is always faster.
    i really don't quite understand this new VP for retail, it seems that she wants to close the retail department and move everything online. :(

plus, yes, a 600/200 dollar iPhone will cause a long line, and yes, maybe a 500 dollar watch will also bring a crowd. but a 1300+ computer? basic economics, you simply won't have as many people as there would for iphone/watch

12. TillysWily macrumors regular

The biggest problem I have Apple since Tim Cook has taken over is that every single time they have a released a product it has a longer and longer wait time till you can get your hands on it. This macbook and the Iwatch is absolutely ridiculous. Every product released by Steve Jobs was available within 48hrs of the unveil. I have always liked Apple products and everything they make but when you say "they will be available on the 10th" and then you have none in stock anywhere and don't give the people an actual ship day when they purchase the product thats just horrible customer service from someone who says they have the "best".

13. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Totally agree.

14. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

that is simply not true. the original iPad was release in jan, and available in late march. i believe the 3g version was even later.
    plus, don't forget the first white iPhone.

15. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple never once said it would be in stores April 10, they said it SHIPS April 10. Big difference

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

For those who are upset they can't buy in store today

Dexter, there are people outside of the U.S. In the UK and a lot if not most countries it's not shipping today or in the next few weeks.

17. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

indeed, but it's a matter of expectation. usually when apple announced a upgrade on mac, it's 'starting shipping today', and it will be available in stores the next day since the stores are already open at the time.
    but this time, no one even knows when it will hit the store.

----------

for that, again, apple is not wrong, but just disappointing.

apple said it STARTS to SHIP on 10th, didn't say how many it will ship (could be just 1), and to where it will ship (like to us only.)
    everything they say is carefully worded, you can't hold it against them... though i know its disappointing, really disappointing.

18. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well you have two choices. You can wait or you can Buy another laptop. Apple is a global product but they are still US based and obviously those of us here will get products first. Samsung is a Korean company and their Galaxy phones are always released in Korea well ahead of the U.S. Just how it goes

19. newellj macrumors 601

Not so clear. Here's the text from the press release Apple issued:

Pricing & Availability
    The all-new MacBook will begin shipping Friday, April 10 through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers.

Apple doesn't ship "through" its retail stores. I will stipulate that it's badly worded and ambiguous, but most people who read that would understand it to mean that on April 10th they could order online or buy one in an Apple retail store and select Authorized Resellers.

20. consumeritis macrumors member

I'm not upset I couldn't buy in store.

I'm upset there wasn't even a display model to try out in the whole of the UK. I'm not going to buy a new laptop sight unseen.

This is not a tactic to avoid hoarding. This is a botched launch. It sounds like even Apple store employees were expecting stock that didn't arrive.

21. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

As that famous American tennis player, John McEnroe, once said: "You CANNOT be serious!"

LMAO

22. newellj macrumors 601

Be careful, someone will start throwing computers around! :D

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Not a new Macbook as you can't get old of one today :p

Q-6

24. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I like the lines- they seem to get a lot of Android fans all worked up :p

25. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

Here's the real problem: I went to the Apple Store last night and was told that "yes, we have them and you can buy them tomorrow." I specifically asked if they would be purchasable. So I showed up this morning at 8:30am. Two others were there to buy MacBooks as well. We spoke to three Apple employees. All said they had stock and we could buy them at 10:00am. Finally 10:00am hits, we rush in, head to the new MacBook display and all three say yes go get our new laptops. They actually go back to the store room... And then a longish wait and then several different sales people talk to us and say it may not happen. Finally the manager speaks to us and says there was a glitch in the system showing the display units as available stock. He was very nice and I'm not angry with him at all. But how is that kind of error possible in today's world. Apple is a computer company with successful stores. How do they not know their inventory? So I basically wasted 3 hours of my day between last night and this morning. Yes I got to see it, but I already knew I was buying it--or actually, not buying it.

Oh well, the manager was very nice, took our names and said he'd call when they are in, even hold them for us.

So that was cool.