For those who didn't get to preorder.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xgm541, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Xgm541 macrumors 65816

RadioShack is preordering them right now in store. You have to get a $50 gift card as a deposit and they guarantee it next Friday.

2. Xgm541 thread starter macrumors 65816

Really? Nobody is even remotely interested? This is like in store pickup via apple which they didnt do this year. Radioshack has a limited set of gift cards with specific SKU's that they reserved for their preorders, once those SKU's run out, so does their stock.

I got my iphone 4 this way, day of launch,

3. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I posted the same thing. Apparently nobody is interested.

4. pHeNom macrumors regular

I remember radio shack did the exact same thing for the iPhone 4 release. They were accepting trade ins for the 3gs when you purchase your iPhone 4 from them all you need was to put $50 down.

same surprise this wasn't publicly advertised. **** although I guess its up to each radio shack location and not mandatory to all.

5. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

I don't like Radio Shack... not quite sure why. Are they not close to going out of business by now?

6. hellspawn2 macrumors member

hmm how much trade in value

7. Cingular macrumors regular

Anyone know how Walmart preorders? Apparently here in CA when you buy a phone from wal mart they tax you on the $199 price and not the $649 price. They will also be selling the phone for $189 making it about $40 savings with tax. But my question is when you pre order do you need to sign the 2 year contract then or till you get the phone

8. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I got my iPhone 4 this way. It was a breeze and there wasn't anyone else there. But they didn't require me to buy a gift card, they just needed my name and that was all. It was great though!

9. rman726 macrumors 6502

Honestly I don't trust anyone but Apple. Radio Shack may guarantee you that you will get your phone next Friday, but they really have no way of guaranteeing that. They are the middle man, and are therefore at the mercy of what Apple sends them.

If they don't get an adequate amount of stock, they can't magically make an iPhone appear out of nowhere. They will tell you how sorry they are, and maybe even give you a gift card for your troubles, but you will still be sitting there on Friday night with your old phone in your hand.

And based on my experience with these types of things in the past, I don't trust Apple to have good enough communication with the third party stores to tell them what is exactly happening. Try calling Radio Shack up next week and asking about how much stock they will receive. They won't know. So if they don't know, how are they accepting pre-orders and guaranteeing availability?

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Just went to the Radio Shack near me and got a preorder for an AT&T Black 32GB which should be available 9/21 (latest hopefully 9/23) then I cancelled my Apple preorder from yesterday (delivery 10/5).

He said I was very high on the list... I have a feeling people just don't know about it, there weren't even any advertisements for it in the store.

I was also told I could trade in my 32GB Black iPhone 4 for $175. Not a bad deal.

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I wouldn't trust Radio Shack. I'm still waiting for my iPhone 4 that I "preordered" from them in 2010!

12. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Keep your fingers crossed.

----------

Yeah, they got about two phones per store...total joke.

14. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Ouch. Well, this Radio Shack is pretty quiet, so I hope if it would be ok anywhere, this is it. If not, I'll complain and just wait a couple weeks like a normal person...

15. Xgm541 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats not true at all. Our radioshack was able to accommodate everybody who preordered the 4. They still had stock 2 days after sales went live and my friend ended up getting one, whereas everybody else was waiting for a new batch of shipments.

And they are able to "guarantee" stock because apparently they have a set of gift cards with SKU's and when one of these is activated it subtracts from the number of available phones.

16. Cingular macrumors regular

That totally makes sense.

17. rman726 macrumors 6502

Sorry. I meant that I don't trust the Apple/3rd party retailer communication line. I've seen way too many pre-orders for products over the years to trust any third party retailer. I trust Apple to bend over backwards for the people who ordered from them. But when it comes to the 3rd party retailers? Not so much.

And when you complain to the 3rd party retailer, they are always like: "I'm sorry, [insert manufacturer here] hasn't given us any information." "[insert manufacturer here] hasn't told us how much stock we will receive or when we will receive it. We are working our best to get the product to you."

18. pikkashoe macrumors regular

Just went and did mine. Thanks for the heads up.
    Should be here 21st. And they give me a hell of alot of money for my iphone 4 32gb. Almost a free upgrade for a 16 gb iphone 5.

19. RxMac macrumors 6502

You can still preorder. What do you mean, "those that didn't get to"?

20. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I don't think that people aren't interested ... I believe it is the shock in realizing that RadioShack is still in business.

21. meisjen26 macrumors newbie

I went to Radio Shack earlier after seeing the first couple of posts. I was able to preorder and put $50 down on my phone at the Shack by my house. I kept asking questions...he did say that I would be guaranteed to have it on the 21st as well. He said he would call me personally on Friday and let me know when it was in ...so hopefully:)

22. KingFudd macrumors member

You are right about limited stock of preorder, but you are still buying a general gift card that has nothing to do with how many they have.

23. mzd macrumors 6502a

Can you share how much? I might go this route as well. Did you have to turn in your iPhone 4 today or can you wait until you get the new one?

24. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i just preordered at radioshack today as well.

25. vistadude macrumors 65816

I bought my iphone 4 from radioshack in november 2010, i guess 4-5 months after release. They said they just ran out of stock and could get one from another radioshack in 1 day. I called them a day later and they said come on monday. I came on monday and they said it wasn't in yet, sorry, then they called me 2 days later and said it was in. When they activated it, it didn't work, and they told me to goto the at&t store to activate it.

Long story made short, I don't get excited for pre-orders and I usually wait 2 months or more after a new phone is released to see if there are major pitfalls like battery or maps. I'm not buying it until I see in person and test it out. So far the in videos I've seen online, it doesn't seem any faster than the previous 2 generations and the screen still looks so dim compared to older phones.

Edit: I'd still rather buy it from radioshack or at&t. Apple stores make me feel very uncomfortable just like clowns do. Best buy's are annoying because they use plastic fake phones instead of the real model to play with, and if you ask to see the real thing, they watch you like hawks. Just makes the whole experience rushed and annoying.