For those who got a replacement through Apple CS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by QquegChristian, Sep 29, 2012.

1. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

This is for anyone that got a replacement ip5 through calling Apple. About how long did it take to ship out the replacement and did they ship it overnight?

I wasn't going to replace the phone but the sharp nick in it was actually scratching my wife's finger when she held it for a phone call.

I called Apple CS a few days ago because I live an hour from an Apple store, and they were very helpful and said they pushed my before new orders for a replacement, but a few days later I still have no expected ship date. She said I could keep the old phone until the new one arrived but while I've got no ship date update, they are expecting the old phone back by Oct 12th.

CS can't give me any updates but I'm leaving town on Oct 6th and would love to get things squared away before that, especially considering I won't be home in time for their expected return date of the old phone.

Did this go fast for anyone else? I know my best option is to cancel the replacement and get to an Apple store, but I am knee deep in work, trying to tweak a film that I have world premiering at a film festival... The reason for my trip.

2. Kung macrumors member

I called them last Wednesday around 2 p.m.

Replacement shipped about 10 p.m. that night.

In my hands 2 p.m. the next day.

3. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

Mine was overnighted. Had it the next day, shipped the same day I called. +1

4. QquegChristian thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, that's good news. I called Thursday morning... Didn't even get any emails until Friday night. No tracking info for a replacement phone though. Sounds like it'll get sorted out this week though.

5. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

For those that did get a replacement from Apple over the phone.. How does the replacement arrive? Is it in a new retail box? My phones having some issues I hope to have replaced but I would like to keep serial numbers matching the packaging so I'm able to sell the device next year easier, some people get skeptical when they aren't the same

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Same experience for several of my friends at work.

Due to the various problems that persist with iPhone 5, there's been a lot of returns. As usual Apple does returns much better than original deliveries. What comes out of the box new from China has slipped to new lows.

With nearly 1,000 people in the local branch of our organization, a huge number of which are iPhone users, I do get to see a lot. It's an interesting experience.

7. QquegChristian thread starter macrumors 6502

The CS woman for me said to send back original box and accessories as they'd be shipping an entirely new retail box.

8. Kung macrumors member

In order of questions:

1. It arrived in a shorter, flatter box, akin to the boxes that you'd get if you were to buy, say, a laptop hard drive. It's just big enough to hold the phone and the 'Sorry about that' flyer with the SIM removal tool.

2. Nope, it's not.

Frankly, long as you keep the paperwork, you should be fine; I know VERY few people who care if the serial #'s match, just so long as it's in good working condition.

I paid the $99 for Applecare+ and it's paid for itself so far. :)

9. QquegChristian thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe they've run out of these kinds of replacements already because the CS woman took quite a while to explain to me that I'd need to send everything back because I'd be getting a full new retail box. I didn't ask or care about that but she went over it in detail. Or maybe Apple decided to stop the white box practice for these cosmetic issues because the white boxes have a stigma of being refurbs, even though that's impossible this early on. Either way, I'm not shipping my phone back until I get the replacement because now is not the time to ship back a lightning cable if I am not positive that I'm getting one with the replacement!

10. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

I'm having a lot of issues with my iPhone 5 and theres none in stock at the local apple stores. What did you tell the apple CSR to get a new one shipped to you? Would I have to have AppleCare or something?

11. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

No you do not need Apple care just call and ask for a replacement

12. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

I called two days ago, and I've yet to get a return email. She said it could take up to two days so I'm still waiting. They're sending a new one first and then I'm shipping mine out. First they wanted me to ship mine but I said no as I need a new phone.

I wonder why some people got shipment emails right away

13. Kung macrumors member

That's odd; I also called Applecare+ service and they made it clear to me that I'd simply be getting a replacement iPhone 5. (The SIM ejector was a nice surprise.)

Oh absolutely I agree with you there. LOL I kinda lucked out - being as I'm dealing with a second hosed phone, the guy asked me what he could do to make it right. I told him "Well, that's not really necessary" but he kinda insisted. He suggested an adapter.

I said "Well, actually, my plan is to go as wireless as possible, both @ home, in the vehicles and @ work; and being as the cable is actually cheaper than the adapter, I'd prefer one of those."

He was totally cool with that and so am I. :)

14. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Did anyone else get a replacement in a retail box ? They just put a hold of 800+ on my credit card for my replacement , was also told its new in box when I asked. But just wanted to confirm what everyone else got .

15. JesterC, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

JesterC macrumors newbie

I am not sure what I'll be getting. According to my tracking, I should be receiving my replacement this thursday. From the serial number of my replacement, it seems that I'll be getting a model that starts with MD which from reading this forum, it appears that MDs are retail boxed and NDs are white slim boxed. Does your model number start with MD? (You can check serial of your replacement even if you haven't received yours.)

16. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

I went thought 4 CSR's yesterday and they pretty much told me too bad....that's including 2 sr advisors. Pretty pissed

So I'm just going to return the phone and then order a new one eventually

17. JesterC macrumors newbie

"too bad" as in they are not even going to allow you a replacement?

18. ljmac macrumors member

Hi, had some scratches on my new black IP5 so called and asked to return and then reorder. Had my new phone 5 days later.
    Very helpful cs rep no problem.
    Remember to be courteous and polite :)

19. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

They want me to keep using the phone for at least another week to see if my signal issues disappear. Even though I've been in multiple locations in OH with the same issue. I've had these issues since day 1. I did a restore, set up as new e d of last week to no avail

The phone will be siting in one spot, and drop all service down to searching for a few minutes then service pops back up. This happens 6-10 times an hour.

20. JesterC macrumors newbie

Was your new phone (that you got 5 days later) shipped with retail box or just white slim box? And what is the model number on your new phone (Should start with either MD or ND)? Thanks

21. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Was yours in the retail box ?

22. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Jester where do I find the new serial once it ships ?

23. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

I swapped white for black through sales (it was difficult to have it done any other way.)

I continued to use my original black phone and they sent me a new phone, no CC hold, retail box.

24. JesterC macrumors newbie

25. neo1 macrumors newbie

I called and two day after got tracking info. Mine took the exact same shipping route as my original. My replacement has one nick in it also but just going to live with it.