Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2016
When you get a battery replacement from Apple for the Retina MacBook Pro's, I do know that they replace the bottom casing. However, do they replace the keyboard as well. Will I be getting a new keyboard as well as a new bottom portion?

I am want to get a battery replacement on my 13 Retina 2013 Model .

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
I got mine replaced, exactly the same model, and they have to replace the whole upper portion. So I got a whole new keyboard and trackpad too!

Something to do with the battery being well and truly glued to the inside.

#winning

Reactions: jerryk

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
How can this be environmentally friendly when you have to dispose more than just the battery? Apple, please bring back user replaceable batteries, the ones that were used a few years back.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
How can this be environmentally friendly when you have to dispose more than just the battery? Apple, please bring back user replaceable batteries, the ones that were used a few years back.

Never happen. Apple is obsessed with thinness and lightness. A user-replaceable battery would require a bay, hinges, etc, which add size and weight.

Reactions: Queen6

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai

They don't dispose of the shell. It's a speed thing, they'll replace that unit with a refurb then send the old one to be refurbed itself. Which will then go on to replace someone elses.

This is why they can do it in-store and relatively quickly. Lots of companies use this model as it streamlines the repair process.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
They don't dispose of the shell. It's a speed thing, they'll replace that unit with a refurb then send the old one to be refurbed itself. Which will then go on to replace someone elses.

This is why they can do it in-store and relatively quickly. Lots of companies use this model as it streamlines the repair process.
That's good to know. Thank you.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
That's good to know. Thank you.

They'll sometimes replace the whole product too, that's why you hear of people "Receiving brand new computer" when they took theirs in for repair. This is not as common, but when it's a particular issue or hard to diagnose, it can take upwards of 30 days which is stressful to the person, which leads them to dislike the company (1 bad experience usually outweighs 100 good ones). So they'll replace it with a refurb, then send the old one off. They might make a loss on it, or possibly break even, but the important thing is the customer is happy.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

You'll find the assembly is probably shipped back to apple where they disassemble it "properly" rather than throw it away.

The "replace all the things" by the local apple tech is most likely to ease field replacement by non-qualified personnel.

Reactions: polee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.